Same as the P5???

sport_20

:
Mazda
Can anyone tell me if my exhaust manifold is the same as a stock P5 (I have a j-spec sport20 AWD). Cheers.

From the top...
top.JPG

From under the car...
under.JPG

From the top (down low)...
rightsidelow.JPG

From the top right side...
ridesidehigh.JPG

Last edited:
no its different, because all of our 2.0 engines (besides the turbo MSP) have a close coupled cat

You have AWD, I don't want to talk to you.

Its different as RyanJayG said. You have a factory 4-2-1 manifold. Plus AWD. I don't want to talk to you!

Thanks for that, man it is VERY different. So you guys have two cats...one in the vertical section of the header and then another underneath? Would it be the same from your second cat back then? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

probably different since you have the tunnel filled up with drive shaft..... but who knows.

RyanJayG said:
probably different since you have the tunnel filled up with drive shaft..... but who knows.

Well this is under my car if that helps. From what I can see you guys have a 4-1 stock header with a cat in the middle. I have a 4-2-1 stock - would I not gain much at all from an after market 4-2-1 or 4-1 header then?

front.JPG

tyeah, most definitely different...although, its giving me some evil ideas about my own car (evil)

that depends on the actual manifold... if it flows well, then you wont gain much, but if it sucks, then you could still gain a bit from a header... either way I would suggest you save up for a turbo, and go that route.

but as for the rest of the exhaust I believe its different, ours doesn't jog over the the left after clearing the oil pan like that. however, your mid pipe thing sort of brings it back over the the right, so I dont know... a US market "cat back" might still fit on there for ya with modification

RyanJayG said:
that depends on the actual manifold... if it flows well, then you wont gain much, but if it sucks, then you could still gain a bit from a header... either way I would suggest you save up for a turbo, and go that route.

but as for the rest of the exhaust I believe its different, ours doesn't jog over the the left after clearing the oil pan like that. however, your mid pipe thing sort of brings it back over the the right, so I dont know... a US market "cat back" might still fit on there for ya with modification

Yeah a turbo would be very nice, unfortunately for me to get one over here would cost around US$6500 + I would have to get lower compression pistons which would add even more :(

I guess there is no way of knowing if there is good flow or not without trying an aftermaket.

I hate you more now with that picture. I used to own a Honda ( ack! ) Accord 2 dr EXR ( A Canadian model ) the unlike the US EX came with the factory 4-2-1 manifold, and from all the forums I used to be on, the gain was only 4-5HP to change to a aftermarket header, so I can't see it being much more for you either. People would actually try and buy the factory manifolds from Canadian wreckers and bolt them on their US EX's to replace the 4-1 manifolds.

Just an FYI.

With a Turbo system, how would the center diff and rear shafts hold up do you think? Is there anyone Turbo'd and AWD down there?

eh.. just make your own kit.. plenty of people have done it... and if that seems too much for you, try a local speed shop, and see if they can build one. once you have it, then THIS PLACE is all you need to tune it. we'll help you out.

as for the high compression you have, yeah, its high, but with a thick head gasket (costom made, if neccisary) you can lower it quite a bit.

There's a guy selling a Turbo on the toprotege board for $2700CAD. Even with shipping that's dirt cheap. You can turbo a high compression car, just not as much PSI, and you have to be more careful of detonation.

03P5 said:
There's a guy selling a Turbo on the toprotege board for $2700CAD. Even with shipping that's dirt cheap. You can turbo a high compression car, just not as much PSI, and you have to be more careful of detonation.

As far as I know I have one of only about 3 AWD Sport20's in the country. Aus doesn't get them, as far as I know, so I don't think there would be any turbo'd ones.

I have been in contact with a guys who has modified the HiBoost setup (quite extensively I think) to make it good for the Aussie Sp20. He said that with the 10:4 compression pistons there would be VERY high likely hood of detonation even at arounf 5psi. Maybe he is just trying to make me buy the lower comp pistons they sell....

The comment about the drive shaft and things is a very good point. I would have to do some further research....cheers

dude, there wont be like, any hard feeling if i went over there and like, jacked your entire tranny and driveshafts would there? cuz damn that looks good... lol, jp about the jacking, but that does look sweet

actually, i was wondering, can u go to ur dealer and ask about the awd and the cost of everything? from lim slips and driveshafts n all? that would be uber cool

Back