Rusting

scknight2

As I mentioned in another thread, I am having a premature rusting issue around the wheel wells with my 2006 Mazda 5. Any one else have this issue? Here are some pics:

You can even see some bubbling in this one.
PICT0029.JPG

PICT0031.JPG

PICT0032.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

I wonder if this is a similar issue that occurred with the Mazda 3:
http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25439

Yikes....that's really bad.
I have some rust similar to your 2-4 pics but nothing as bad as what you've got.
Thank goodness I have a leased car which I plan to return next February...this type of rust does not bode well for those planning long term ownership. Hopefully your dealer can assist if you've still got warranty.

Last edited:
IT should be under warranty I think the factory standard for most new vehicles is like 10 years unlimited miles for rust

The warranty covers rust perforation... meaning the rust must have gone right through for them to fix it.

The corrosion warranty is 5 years, but only covers perforation, not surface rust. However, some Mazda 3 owners have been successful in getting it fixed under warranty regardless.

Apparently this is big problem with a lot of Mazdas in general. Just about every Mazda 3, and protege I've seen has rust around the wheel wells.

For comparison, my 99 Honda Civic doesn't have any rust, except for the odd stone chip.

My 2008 obviously has nothing yet, but my 1987 Mazda made it ~13 years before rust started to show -- and that was in the salt belt.

If you'd like to stop the rust, I've been impressed with the results I've had with rust-converter products that I've purchased from Wal-Mart. Just follow the directions -- some surface rust is needed to activate the product.

From the pictures, it looks like the rust is occurring directly in line with the spray from the edge of the tire.

See your dealer...should be no issues...

Mazda is getting used to the 3 rust issue anyways. Keep a weekly pic of those areas for yourself and keep us all posted.

Scaring you, SCARING ME!

I have owned new cars of the following brands for longer then this 5, GM, Nissan, VW, Suzuki and now the Mazda. In the same City driving the same way. Had a 2000 golf - 6 years, 2004 Golf TDI (wife's car) Nissan spec V sold to my brother who lives in Ottawa and this is by far the most shocking rust issue I have unfortunatley owned. I also work in automotive and am constantly exposed to cars. I also have spoken to people who work for dealer groups that own Mazda dealerships and what I hear concerns me. If I didn't like the car so damn much and if it was not so useful along with not having any real competition in its class, I would get rid of it because those pictures look just like mine. With added rust in the wheel well and two boils on the roof. I can't take a picture of the wells with the 18's on. The underneath looks the same.

really sorry about the rust guys but thanks for the information, I will keep my eyes peeled for this in these areas.

scknight2,

1. Great pictures, that helps a lot rather than just saying "I got rust! Help!"

2. Fight for the dealer to take a look and fix it, ..

a. You are first owner?
b. They want you to come back and buy another right?
c. If they don't tell them about a & b.

3. Keep us posted, ... i.e. what you plan to do and what you really end up doing.

Good luck! (usa)

Peace!(rei)

Well, after 17k miles and a crappy winter with plenty of treated highway driving, I see no signs of anything like this on my 2009. I did add mudguards all around before the season started and washed the car at least 3-4 times a month anytime it was above freezing. So far so good, but I am watching like a hawk.

My wife's former car, a '92 Accord, had some rusting issues around the wheel wells in the customary Accord locations, but they didn't show up until the car was about 12 years old.

It's that salt the Ontario Highway guys throw around during the winter. We use sand in BC and rust isn't an issue until your car is really old. Windshield nicks and cracks is de rigueur in BC! I've just gotten into the habit of paying the deductible and replacing the windshield every two or three years!

I have a 1990 and a 1991 Civic 4dr, and the 90 is starting to perforate (wasn't undercoated), and the 91 has some surface rust (was undercoated). There are many late 80 Civics in town as well. I had a friend come visit from Sudbury, and he was shocked to see how many 20+ year old cars are still on the road.

I would say that undercoating works, and I had my 06 5MT undercoated. no visible rust.

No doubt that the salt that is used on our roads doesn't help. But for comparison, my 1999 Civic is just now starting get some rust in the wheel well. It is over 10 years old and the paint puts the 5's to shame!

We have owned many Mazdas over the years and have never had rusting this early, well except for the B3000, but that's a ford any way.

That's just freakin' ridiculous. Mazda would have ringing ears after I was done bitchin' them out over rust on such a nice, newer car like that. You need to talk to Mazda corporate and tell them what the deal is. That's totally unacceptable and will impact my consideration of Mazda in the future if you are stuck with a rusting car that's not even five years old.

Just had the car in for more rear shock repairs...dealer sounds like they might be able to do something about the rust for me. Sounds promising, but we'll see.

They should be and if not call Mazda Canada. The rusting is well documented on the Protege 5, Mazda 3 as well from the above link. If you can't get any satisfaction from your dealer visit another who is willing to help but be persistent.

Cheers

Back