Replacing clutch, am I being gouged?

bspeed3

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed3
Hey guys, I"ve got an 2007 speed3 with 72k miles. Recently my clutch pedal went to the floor and never came up. Obviously couldn't engage any gears. I had it towed to a friends, he thought it might be the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder had a broken seal.

After replacing the slave/clutch return cylinder, and bleeding the hydraulic system for days I eventually determined the problem was bigger. I took it to a dealership, they said either the bearings or pressure plate is broken. They want $1400 if its the clutch, $1400 more if the flywheel needs to go too?

Does this seem astronomical? The clutch repair price seems right to me, but an additional $1400 for the flywheel? That seems absolutely absurd to me.

Has anyone else had the dealership do these repairs? Does that seem astronomical? Also can I negotiate this or get some sort of a discount? Anyone whos had experience with this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd get a second diagnosis. The dealer is not necessarily the best place to have this done, nor are they necessarily the most trust-worthy.

no...that pricing is right...i thought it was rediculous also.
go with a ACT kit with lightened flywheel...parts will run you about $600ish....its the labor that will kill you tho if you take it in.
10.5 hours id what the dealership will charge you as thats what their book states.
Try and find a small non/chain trans shop as you will save quite a bit.

IMO $1400 more for the flywheel seems crazy but I would do a quick check on the online MS3 shops to see what the aftermarket clutch/flywheel pkgs sell for. If it is $1k for an upgraded clutch/flywheel I would be very surprised. Look around the area for a good performance shop that is familiar with Mazda's and manual tranny performance cars. There are plenty around my area. They will likely charge you less per hour and if they are reputable it shouldn't be anything for them to do. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Im doing a clutch on a Mazda6 with the larger v6 in it this weekend, and im charging the guy $450 + supplies. Which was about $180 including the clutch, new seals, and fluid. If its not a Mazda, I usually charge $600 + parts and supplies. Just to give you an idea.

Back