New clutch, am I being gouged?

bspeed3

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed3
Hey guys, I"ve got an 2007 speed3 with 72k miles. Recently my clutch pedal went to the floor and never came up. Obviously couldn't engage any gears. I had it towed to a friends, he thought it might be the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder had a broken seal.

After replacing the slave/clutch return cylinder, and bleeding the hydraulic system for days I eventually determined the problem was bigger. I took it to a dealership, they said either the bearings or pressure plate are broken. They want $1400 if its the clutch, $1400 more if the flywheel needs to go too.

Does this seem astronomical? The clutch repair price seems right to me, but an additional $1400 for the flywheel? That seems absolutely absurd to me.

Has anyone else had the dealership do these repairs? Does that seem astronomical? Also can I negotiate this or get some sort of a discount? Anyone whos had experience with this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are completely right,..its a rip-off. I gotmine done by a reputable transmission place [P5] Flywheel was resurfaced, plus fit new clutch for $850.

Fortunately the flywheel was totally fine. Thanks for the responses.

I'll have some clutch internals from my old clutch which had plenty of life left in it. Do you guys think they have any value? Worth trying to sell on the forums here?

Shop around. A local tuner shop quoted $900 parts & labour including resurfacing flywheel, average asking with all shops was about $1,000.

I've found it's the 'self adjusting pressure plate' that tends to go before the clutch disc goes. I wouldn't bother trying to sell stock used disc. It's far too much work to do a clutch to replace with a used stock piece.

yes, that price is absolutely ******* ridiculous.

You can get a brand new ACT 6puck clutch WITH flywheel for ~650, and that's FAR better than the stock crap.

Purchased the oem clutch kit from partsgeek.com for 181 shipping included and also purchased the fidanza lightweight flywheel for 335, about to finish up the whole project in my garage will be posting a vid of it all... It was not an easy swap but saved myself a nice amount of change, which I can now use for the COBB AP, yeeeeeaaaaaaaa

I've heard a lot of ACT clutches go bad I wouldn't go with that plus unless you're running crazy power (over 450) I don't see a point to running a high performance clutch, the stock one does really well for many people including the WRX posseiii...

The stock clutch can easily handle up to stage 2+ Cobb AP upgrade, my pilot bearing went before my clutch disk did... However it also depends on the driver, my car has 74k miles on it doing this big clutch swap on it only to realize that it really only was my pilot bearing the clutch disk is only half worn but since you change one thing you have to change it all is the recommendation, so whatever, it was cheap... Oh and I have launched the car countless times, heavy traffic conditions, still the stock held great...

Yea my experience and understanding is that we have very strong clutches in these cars. I got my clutch all opened up, and the splines of the pressure plate were all facing inwards. The guy at Mazda said he'd never seen anything like it. I was fortunate none of them broke off and ended up between the clutch and flywheel.

I've heard a lot of ACT clutches go bad I wouldn't go with that plus unless you're running crazy power (over 450) I don't see a point to running a high performance clutch, the stock one does really well for many people including the WRX posseiii...

you heard wrong about the ACT clutches.

Especially when the stock clutch costs so much more, it makes no sense to go stock again. Even the ACT street disc is better. Plus you get a lightweight flywheel. The early reports that these clutches are "super stout" are exaggerated.

My dealer installed my clutch (ACT HDMM kit) for $500. If you'd included parts it woudl have been ~$850. $2800 for clutch and flywheel is farking insane.

CPE sells a very nice clutch kit, worth looking into, I consider that better than ACT any day... My buddy was running 22psi on his talon with a stock clutch for years. He decided to run the ACT and it only lasted him 6 months so he went back to stock, the car was a beast... I've heard way too many horror stories about ACT to take a risk, SORRY lol...

Back