Remote turn on lead for powered subwoofer

Ufgt

:
2002 Mazda Protege LX
Hey guys,

Very noob question for my first audio install:

I bought the Sound Ordnance B-8PT powered sub, and there are 2 power options: Auto Mode and Remote Wire. What's better? The auto mode turnes the sub on where it detects a line level signal, and the remote mode requires me to wire the remote turn on lead from the sub to the head unit. Does it matter how it gets power? Is one mode better than the other? If there's not difference, I will probably not bother with the remote mode... less for me to do lol.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

all the auto detects i have used worked surprisingly well. but if you have any doubts, sourcing a switched 12v wire is very easy too.

Gave the install a shot today. Didn't work, not sure why. Gonna try again tomorrow. =(.

I actually think I blew a fuse. When I first hooked it all up, the power light flashed on really quickly, than faded out. It hasn't powered on since then. I will be testing all my connections tomorrow, hopefully it's as simple as changing the fuse.

I guess the question I have is, what size fuse should I be getting? I am using 10 gauge wire.

Before you waste more fuses, it is best to diagnose the reason the fuse blew in the first place. Don't just connect another fuse and expect it to magically work.

As for fuse size, it depends on what you are powering with it. Match the fuse to the electronics...but for 10ga wire, I would not use more than a 25 or 30 amp fuse.

Yah, later this week I'm going to test all the connections to make sure. There's so many places for potential problems because I'm a noob lol.

so did you blow the on board fuse, or the fuse inline with the power wire? there really aren't too many connections to mess up.

also, where did you install the unit? where did ground the amp at?

Woot! I got it working! It was a blown inline fuse. Just replaced it and it started working. I guess the fuse blew when I connected the power wire to the battery the first time. I had the fuse already in place before I connected to the + terminal on the battery. The instructions said to not do that lol, must've skimmed past that part.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back