Reducing oil consumption.

Interesting solution to PCV problems, though my car doesn't seem to consume any oil with the miller-cycle Millenia PCV.

Kansei said:
Interesting solution to PCV problems, though my car doesn't seem to consume any oil with the miller-cycle Millenia PCV.

For the benefit of others, can you post the part number for the Millenia PCV. (I can't find it - but also didn't look very hard.) Thanks!

my car burns 3 quarts of oil every 2500 miles, and i think this setup might help reduce some consumption, but i think i have a bigger problem.

Yeah, unfortunately I would think you have a bigger problem. What have you done to your car (in terms of mods that might have affected this). Do you have new piping that causes you to disconnect things such as the vavle cover vent?

03.5MSP said:
my car burns 3 quarts of oil every 2500 miles, and i think this setup might help reduce some consumption, but i think i have a bigger problem.

Little Beavis said:
Yeah, unfortunately I would think you have a bigger problem. What have you done to your car (in terms of mods that might have affected this). Do you have new piping that causes you to disconnect things such as the vavle cover vent?

Nothing really, Im debating on disconecting the hose from my aem intake to my crank. Im not a big fan of seeing oil in my intake pipe, and in my turbo inlet, grant it the amount of oil is very minimal. Im taking my car to a shop to have them look at it on monday.

wooh, get that checked out or if you are your mechanic... stop, that is not good!!!

I too have recently been consuming large amounts of oil, and am having a hard time finding the problem. I removed the millenia PCV for the Protege PCV to see if that would be part of the problem.....cause there was oil running to the intake mani from the Millenia PCV. Didnt seem like much, but of course the car was turned off..... Ill be checking the pipes tomorrow.

I also might add, i had a CEL the other day and it was for the EGR ( Which happened to be a first). Could it be the oil running into the intake mani coating the EGR???

Last edited:
Over these years I've discovered that the FSDE is notorious for burning oil :( I'm running a boost check valve between the intake manifold and the pcv valve to stop boost from entering and pressurizing the crank case. In this case one would not need any special pcv valves.

Last edited:
My car eats oil for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I always keep an quart in the car at all times. I double check the oil before every start up. I'm paranoid and then some! I'm running the Millenia PCV as well.

I will be picking one up soon. Just a couple days ago I was checking the oil and had almost NO oil. I freaked and checked everything from valve cover gasket, to torque specs, even did a compression test to check the rings. Seems like it was a leaky valve cover since I had oily plugs.

CustomMSP said:
Over these years I've discovered that the FSDE is notorious for burning oil :( I'm running a boost check valve between the intake manifold and the pcv valve to stop boost from entering and pressurizing the crank case. In this case one would not need any special pcv valves.

Toly, so your boost check valve is kinda like this "crank case vacuum system", except its home made, and you didnt spend $110.

daedalus said:
My car eats oil for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I always keep an quart in the car at all times. I double check the oil before every start up. I'm paranoid and then some! I'm running the Millenia PCV as well.

Im right there with ya bud.....

I even did a compression check and im hittin 210's and number 4 cylinder at 220. Everything seems to be fine.....and since i have a cutout, its hard to determine if its just flying out the tailpipe. When all the goodies go in, ill be strippin dis biatch down.....

This good to know as I have the same tiny oil leak from the turbo line (at the turbo) that I have had since the car was new and I was wondering how the hell so much oil could leak from a teeny, tiny opening.
LOL! The answer is, it isn't. :)
It never really used oil until just the last few months but I am over 114,000 miles now and I have a bigger turbo with more boost now as well.
Everything is ok the car runs fine (clutch is too weak :( ) but I feel better knowing that it is normal. Funny thing is the Wife's PR5 doesn't seem to use any.
Oh well. I keep 2 quarts of Mobil 1 in the trunk.

Edit: checked when I got home and it is full. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Last edited:
03.5MSP said:
Toly, so your boost check valve is kinda like this "crank case vacuum system", except its home made, and you didnt spend $110.
Exactly :) I really believe that the FSDE has a problem with weak valve guides, seals or both. I've been burning oil for about 45k miles now, yet my compression is still over 180 across the board at 99k miles. So I don't think the problem is with the rings or the cyl. walls as much as it is with the valvetrain. I'll be tearing my engine apart soon and I can't wait to see figure out the source of our problem!

Last edited:
Back