Rear Shocks Need to be Replaced

tuOdekcalB

:
09 Mazdaspeed 3
Any suggestions on what shocks to get?

Dealership said it would cost like 550 to replace.

Have a local shop family friend mechanic that could do the work but not sure if I should buy the shocks or let them just get OEM ones.

Thoughts?

I had Tirerack ship a set of Koni FSDs to Tilden Brakes over by the Big H shopping center:

$700 shocks
$400 install

That was 10K miles ago and it changed the car for the better. Go with the Koni.

Last edited:
Replacing rear shocks is an easy job of about 15 minutes per side. Front struts are a whole different story.

Anyone with a floor jack, one jack stand and a few basic hand tools can do the rears quickly. Do not buy OEM crap. Above recommendations are solid choices. However with stock springs the proper Bilstein is the HD, also called the B6. B8's will work, but are shorter.

Yes, those are the ones.

And if you can figure out an SRI, you should be able to handle the rear shocks. You'll want some jack stands, a 12mm deep well and 17 mm sockets, and a breaker bar. It's pretty straightforward.

Thank you for the help, ********** got them for 150. I am guess I need 2 for both sides correct? the 150 isn't for both sides? So 300 bucks way cheaper then I thought.

$300 sounds about right for both rear B6 shocks. Check with our site sponsor vendor Edge Auto Sports for best price.

So I replaced these 6 months or so ago and did them myself with a friend. Fixed the issue but in the past 2 months the rear has been rattling, sounds like how my OEM shocks sounded when they were first going. Could it be that my hand tightening wasnt good enough and it is beginning to get loose? That shocks can't be blowing already....

Will the Koni yellows be ok with stock springs? Got to replace the rear shocks on the wife's 08 Mazda3

Hi guys, been awhile! I've got 64k on my MS3 and its past time to replace the struts! Has anyone actually come out with a specific to the Speed3 strut yet or just HP regular 3 ones? I'm gonna do all 4, the rears I'll do myself but the fronts I'll have done by my shop. Seems from what I'm reading, if I'm not lowering, which I'm not that the list goes from best to worst:

Bilstein HD, I see allot call them B6's cost about 600 bucks.
Koni Yellows are about 450 bucks.
Koni FSD at about 450 also.

im looking for a direct replacement and the price difference seems negligible, especially as I like the idea of no adjustments on the Bilsteins and FSDs. I want better performance and don't mind a stiffer ride as long as they fit and should be easy install, rears for me and fronts for shop.

My question is for the Bilsteins you don't need to reuse or have bumps stops in just the front or rear?

The Konis reuse the bumps stops correct? Awhile back I remember someone had made Urathane Bump stops? Anyone know if there still Available? I'm sure mine could use replacing?

Whats you alls thoughts, I'm leaning toward the Bilstein HD(B6's?) just wondering what install entails and if anyone has done a how to as I could have shop install the springs and do fronts myself but read about ball bearings flying around and such and want this to be hassle free as this is my Baby, trying to see how long I can keep it as I hate payments and have a Tundra also to tow my boat!

thanks in advance for any and I mean any advice, thanks guys, glad your all still around as I been sick for awhile and done all the maintenence on motor and tranny and such but have let the suspension go!

Hi - I have the Bilstein B8's with Cobb springs (slightly lower and stiffer then stock). My ride is firm but not harsh - I previously had Tein coilovers, and I hated them. I can't really comment on the Koni's, but I read somewhere that they don't match the struts/shocks like Bilsteins, so you do get what you pay for. I have read that the FSD's are more compliant then the Bilsteins.
I would go for the Bilstein B6 strut/shock setup. If The B6 are like the B8's, they will have internal bumpstops on the front struts. You can use your old bumpstops for the rear, if they are in good shape. I would also replace the front top hats at the same time. Although more expensive, I went with factory top hats for piece of mind!
P.S. - I did replace my rear bumpstops with aftermarket, but I can't remember the company (sorry!) Good Luck, and let me know what you decide on and how you like them.

Gonna go with the Bilsteins on the factory Struts, even though lowering a little with springs does sound great and I'm sure helps handling allot! If anyone can find or remember who made the aftermarket bump stops I'd greatly appreciate it? How much are the factory top hats and does anyone make a better top hat or should I go factory. Thank you cghms3!
Cghms3 do you run 225/45/18 with no issues, now you got me thinking of lowering but I'm pretty sure im gonna stay stock springs, but would be nice to have lowered?
Thanks in Advance guys!

Hi - I'm running Michelin pilot super sports 225/40/18 - $$$$ but worth every penny! I don't think there are better top hats than factory - call the dealer for pricing. I believe I got a pretty good deal through Rosenthal Mazda - search on the web. I could be wrong, but the bumpstops were made by Energy suspension - they come in a variety of firmness.
But again, I'm not 100% sure that is correct. You can also check ****************.org, and search for aftermarket bumpstops.
I have no clearance issues with the cobb springs - you do not want to lower the car anymore than 1/2" - it will negatively affect the steering geometry (goes to positive camber on compression). I'm also running Hotchkiss 32mm swaybars front and rear, and my setup is pretty sweet for a canyon runner!
Again, if you do go with a shorter spring, you need to get the Bilstein B8's.
Please update this thread re: what you bought, and how you like them - Good Luck!

***Edit*** I'm running the Michelins on the Mazdaspeed aftermarket wheels, 18 x 7 1/2". Stock rims are 18 x 7". I'm not sure if putting 225 instead of the factory 215's on your rims will adversely affect handling. You might experience secondary roll if the sidewalls flex.

Last edited:
Hi Moderators - I did not know I could not name "that other site" - Sorry!

Thanks Again friend. I run Dunlop Star Specs in 225/45/18 on stock wheels, so sidewall flex isn't an issue as there very stiff tire as are yours. I've definetly decided to go B6's and run stock springs. I also run a JBR rear sway bar, didn't do the front. The handling is very good with almost no under steer unless on power to much. I know the site you mentioned and will check around. Thanks for all the help. I will definetly let you know how it goes. Best price I've found for the B6s is tire rack at at 243 a piece fronts and 108 for rears with free shipping, which by looking around is very good price.
Again thank You very much.

Back