Rear disc conversion kit

This is something I'm very interested in, but it's down the road a ways. If I were to do this I might consider upgrading the calipers front and back, too. Doing that would require a lot of research on my part, though, to make sure the brakes I get would work on the 2 and that front and rear are properly balanced. So, I'm eagerly waiting to hear if somebody else does this. :p

We have already worked on this. If you are going to keep the stock front rotors/rotor size, you need to go with 250mm rear rotors. If you go with larger 300mm front rotors, you should go with the 280mm rear rotors. Either set-up is very well balanced.

So, I thought I'd email Wilwood and ask them if they could provide a kit with 4x100 hats. This was their response:

Thank you for the inquiry with Wilwood Disc Brakes. Wilwood cannot confirm that our Ford Fiesta kit will fit the Mazda 2 applications. We are correctly not looking into making a kit for the Mazda 2

Regards,
Wilwood Disc Brakes

Anybody want to help interpret that one for me? To me this sounds like they're saying "You could not gauge our interest in doing this for you in miligivashits".

I have the answer from Willwood. Just bought a new toy and did a motor swap, now back to the 2 and I'm getting my kit from them. Check thread I just recycled at top.

Last edited:
Hey, Derrick. What brake setup do you have on your 2? How has it performed for you?

We just changed out the front pads to something better suited to the track. I am still on the same set of pads and original rotors and they are working great. I expect to change them out after the event in June.

-Derrick

Did you see a noticable difference over the stock pads?
What pads are you using?

Did you see a noticable difference over the stock pads?
What pads are you using?

I missed you replied to this thread. I am running Hawk DTC pads, they work well. The rear stock shoes we checked out and I have over 75% left after a year and a half of racing...

-Derrick

I missed you replied to this thread. I am running Hawk DTC pads, they work well. The rear stock shoes we checked out and I have over 75% left after a year and a half of racing...

-Derrick

Would you use these Hawk pads on a DD/week-end warrior? How are they with noise and dust?

Would you use these Hawk pads on a DD/week-end warrior? How are they with noise and dust?

Nope, they are super dirty and hard on rotors. If I dd a car with these brakes I would get tired of cleaning the wheels, lol.

I got in contact with them and I'm gonna give this conversion a try. Thing is though that I haven't been getting replies the past two days which was odd since I was getting back and forward replies on tuesday

Anyone have a number to contact these guys? Seems like Mark who I was talking to either forgot about this or m8ght have gotten caught up in something else

Ladies and germs
pixors

Big thanks to Mark Lapp from Lapp racing for getting this together

Wow it's real !!! I am interested in your impressions of the kit , fit , finish and what not . Looks great .

EF9's relatively local and we've met before, I'm looking forward to checking this out in person some time. It's definitely something I'd like to do to my car, but I'd want a front brake upgrade to go with it.

looks interesting, the rotor is really thin is it just 1 pad/surface per side? Also very interested in hearing about the performance/thoughts on the kit.

Back