Racing beat springs ordered

I haven't ever cut bump stops. I've rarely bottomed out my suspension on any of my cars (only on potholes); probably because all of cars that I have changed springs have had mild drops and an increase in spring rates... If I was dropping 2" I would think it would be required on stock shocks...

Just a thought: I'm pretty sure that compressing a shock too much beyond what it was designed for will severely shorten it's life. But who knows, if it becomes a problem, I'll give em a trim!

Last edited:
Just an update: I went and (finally) got my alignment done today.. the front wheels were toed out after lowering (just over a degree). I have recently noticed a "floaty" feeling on straightlines and had suspected that was the case. Just in the short time of driving it back to work, it felt much more stable and smoother riding. I have also noticed lower gas mileage in the past 2 tanks, so hopefully it will help now that it is aligned...

So,what should you get from this? After lowering, even a little - go get that alignment checked!

I'm looking into springs. i like the mild drop also. Is there a handling difference for you? I am also concerned with dirt kicking up, the rear looks quite a bit lower. I drive on dirt, already have a paint wear problem, got mud guards.
If there isn't to much of a handling difference Ill prob. go with the H&R Springs...

+1 to TryIt. my current plan is to go racing beat springs and sways, but I can't afford all at once. I care very little about the drop and a lot about the handling. if the springs are a distinct difference I'll pull the trigger next week, but if not i'l just wait until spring when i can either get the whole package at once or get a better set-up.

and it's a little late, but as a guy who's taken multiple mazda3 suspensions apart and been under a couple of 2s, yes, it's pretty much the same set-up :)

I just picked up my H&R springs at corksports today. That was long drive, but well worth it.
I'll install it on sunday and post a pic.

Is there a handling difference for you? I am also concerned with dirt kicking up, the rear looks quite a bit lower. I drive on dirt, already have a paint wear problem, got mud guards.

Well, I did my sway bars and springs at the same time, so I'm not really sure how the springs are by themselves. Im sure that there are sets that will handle better than the RBs, but I wanted to maintain stock drivability (speed bumps, etc). As a kit (RB Springs and Sways) the car handles very well! However, I would like some better-than-stock valved shocks. No worries on height, the rear is not much lower at all.

+1 to TryIt. my current plan is to go racing beat springs and sways, but I can't afford all at once. I care very little about the drop and a lot about the handling.

I would go with the sways first... I think that they MAY have given be the better feeling... that i enjoy. Also that gives time for shocks to be released! :)

Hey everyone, I'm seriously considering Racing Beat springs. Any chance those of you who have them could post up some daytime photos looking straight at the side of your car so those of us out there considering them can really get a better sense of the ride height? Most of the photos in the thread here are a bit dark or are at low or side angles and make it difficult to tell. Thanks very much!

stock.JPG

rb.JPG

Here you go. I adjusted the contrast so you could see it better.

Just installed these, and here are my impressions:

Ride height looks stock for a sports car. Road feel is improved, bumps only slightly more harsh. The ride feels more complaint than any other car I've owned with a spring upgrade, and in normal driving it doesn't feel very sports car like. When driven more aggressively, brake dive is reduced mildly and cornering is significantly flatter (but certainly not flat). The car feels MUCH more composed on windy roads and with the added front camber I managed to get (there is actually some play with the stock bolts) there is noticeably more front end grip.

I'll say as someone who drives two little girls to day care everyday and the occasional family road trip, but wants a good handling car for fun and maybe an autocross on rare occasions...its perfect. I do plan on adding swaybars.

Just installed these, and here are my impressions:

Ride height looks stock for a sports car. Road feel is improved, bumps only slightly more harsh. The ride feels more complaint than any other car I've owned with a spring upgrade, and in normal driving it doesn't feel very sports car like. When driven more aggressively, brake dive is reduced mildly and cornering is significantly flatter (but certainly not flat). The car feels MUCH more composed on windy roads and with the added front camber I managed to get (there is actually some play with the stock bolts) there is noticeably more front end grip.

I'll say as someone who drives two little girls to day care everyday and the occasional family road trip, but wants a good handling car for fun and maybe an autocross on rare occasions...its perfect. I do plan on adding swaybars.

I'll +1 the hell out of your comments there! Exactly my impressions after a month+ with the Racing Beats. The ride height appearance is the only downside (if only it could get down about 0.2-ish inches lower!!!!), but I've come to like it actually. A truly fantastic DD spring set (especially if family/kids are in the picture) that is immensely liveable. Please do post up your thoughts about what you are thinking with the front swaybar. I have the CS rear bar, and trying to decide between RB front bar, or CS front bar...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting the corksport set. Between my experience and a post that Andy made (I think its safe to say he's a proven source), I think the corksport front bar is the best choice for my intended use. Ideally I'd like the racing beat rear bar combined with the corksport front, but I'll keep the $130 or so I'll save and put it towards the corksport exhaust. I think with the RB front bar, front end grip may suffer some in autocross scenarios, and with the stock front bar and RB springs, body roll and steering response still need improvement.

If I wasn't as concerned with ground clearance, I think I might have preferred the eibach springs. And I certainly agree that just a smidge lower would be perfect, especially since I'll be going with a slightly smaller diameter tire when I get around to new shoes.

should be coming in pretty soon. You can check out a video of them on the racing beat website.
Anybody have experience with these springs or racing beat products in general? I ordered them since they offer a very mild drop and only 20 percent stiffer spring rate.

anyway, pics soon!

Did you have any kind of popping noise when you first installed your springs? I did and it took a while for to go away. Finally had to tighten the top nut on the strut assembly after it settle for about a week or 2

My Bilstein rears rattled for a week or so than quieted down. I also got a 'clicking' noise going around left hand corners until I re-tightened the bottom strut bolts using Loctite.

No popping sounds though.

John

Thanks, I didn't think about it for a while but my friend has a fiesta and we put springs on his today. His car is popping and rattling so we check top and bottom strut hat alignment and sway bar links but they are good so now we just gotta wait and see if it settles meanwhile we will check tightness on bolts. Funny thing is we gotta take it apart again when his brake kit arrives.

As long as my measurements are correct...with these springs it seems an alignment may not be entirely necessary. Probably due to the drop being so mild. I measured only 1/16" toe out up front the other day. Camber is probably -1.25 - 1.5 degrees, just a tad less than the rear. Effectively makes the spring upgrade $70 cheaper since I don't need an alignment.

Keep in mind I was careful when tightening the lower strut bolts to attain as much negative camber as possible. Certainly don't assume an alignment isn't necessary.

Ok, everybody. Got my RB Springs and Sways on this Friday and got a chance to "daily drive" them this weekend. So far: nice! The springs are almost as comfortable as the OEM, just a bit stiffer... I drove my car a little over 200 miles this weekend (including down a washboard dirt road) and it was fine! (well, washboard roads are never great to ride down) No complaints from the wife like we used to have in my old Civic Si w/ HFP suspension. VERY livable. And while I know some people want a "slammed" look or even a smaller wheel gap, I am very happy with the height for a daily driver.

As far as the sways go, they seem to be doing well. I havent really been able to push the car much and I have had my wife in the car, but it corners flatter for sure. I will report back later once I get some time to actually try them out.

Install: Install was, ok. The Springs were pretty much straightforward; only tough part was getting the top nut off of the shock - would be much easier with air tools. The Rear springs were a piece of cake, took me less than 10 minutes to do. Rear sway was easy too, just bolt on and go.
The front sway bar was a bit of a tricky beast. Getting leverage to the bushing bolts was not fun and trying to get the old sway out took a bit of maneuvering. The key is to lower the subframe enough to slide the drivers side of the bar out (and the new one in) between the body and subframe. Once it was in place, bolting it in was easy.

Anyway, pics!

Jacked up car, removed wheel
IMG_0111.jpg

Original Springs on shock
IMG_0114.jpg

Racing Beat Springs on Shock
IMG_0085.jpg

Original Sway Bar [Pass Side]
IMG_0118.jpg

OEM vs. Racing Beat Front Sway Bar
IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

New RB Sway Bar installed [drivers side]
IMG_0125.jpg

New Springs and Sways In
IMG_0128.jpg

Racing Beat Rear Springs (and rear bar)
IMG_0131.jpg

RB Rear Bar
IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

OEM Springs
IMG_4857.jpg

RB Springs (w/ 2 days settling)
IMG_0160.jpg

Sweet, love the drop! It's just right for my needs, I drive on everything: dirt roads, train crossings at work, crappy Montreal streets...so this is the best set-up for my needs. I wonder how better it would be with Corksport struts and shocks + strut tower brace.

Anyway, I'll get the springs at the same time as the struts and shocks. I'm sold :)

Thanks for these pictures

Looks awesome! Kind of like my car before it got all beat up..haha. Let us know how you like the sway bar. I might eventually break down and get the CS or RB one.

Back