Question on ECU / O2 sensor wiring

dmention7

:
'03.5 Blue MSP #2543
Short version: Are the O2 sensor wires off the ECU just plain insulated wires all the way, or are they shielded or anything else goofy like that?

Long version:
I ask because I was wiring up my SSAFC this morning, and as best as I can tell both the primary and secondary O2 sensor wires have a couple inches of plain wire leading off the ECU harness, and then they turn into thicker grey wires with shielding. The shields are tied together and connected to a black/white stripe wire that runs to a connector taped to the ECU wire bundle (with nothing plugged into it).

I also noticed that the crank sensor +/- wires have some similar goofiness going on. I have not unwrapped all the electrical tape to figure out what's going on, but they appear to be mixed up with the solid green and blue wires coming out of pins 84 and 85, and another black/white wire running up the connector I mentioned above.

None of this really looks factory (I bought the car used in '07), but for the life of my I can't figure out the the previous owner might have been trying to accomplish. (The MAFS signal wire is completely unmolested, so I don't think I'm looking at a really bad SSAFC uninstall) So, for the moment I haven't touched any of the mess, since the car runs fine as it is. But I'd appreciate any clarification on how things SHOULD be.

(drinks)

Wrong answer....that is normal. When I turboed my mp3 thats what mine looked like. The bare o2 wire by the ecu leads out and goes into the casing like you said where there is an uncoated ground wire running with it. So you should be good, doesnt sound like it has been messed with.

Excellent, thanks for the info.

(Also, I knew concealer404 was just kidding.... he trolls me on multiple forums (lol2))

Back