Purchasing tires 17" HP- All season..

Just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S for my 3 from Tire Rack. I should have them on by next weekend - I'll let you know how they are when I get a few miles on them.

Just had the Pilot Exalto A/S Michelins installed today. Nice improvement from the RSA's in ride comfort over sharp edge bumps. Also transmit less road noise into the cabin, although there is some noticeable tread pattern noise. Overall comfort levels are increased appreciably over the RSA's.

I'll reserve judgment on handling/responsiveness until I break them in a little bit and get some more time behind the wheel (only 80 miles give or take so far).

I just got Dunlop SP Sport Signature for my Mazda3 from tirerack really good tire for the money.

That's what I got too. Survived the MI winter with no problems at all. Could be slightly better in the rain, but no regrets so far.

i am also interested in this. . I live in Wisconsin, and this year was our 2nd snowiest year on reccord(80-90 inches). . . needless to say, we have to drive in it a lot in the winter time. as everyone knows, the RS-A's are crashing mazda3 drivers nation wide in the snow, and I for one, dont want to crash. I realize directional tread tires might give better performance, but i dont think they can be rotated(am i wrong)? I want tires that are rated really good in winter, but over all, an all season.

i was looking at the goodear eagle F1's if i have to get directional tires. any good?

those are not all season tires i would not run those in the winter at all.. i just bought them and am very happy but on cold mornings (scraping the window) they take a while to warm up and adhere to the road. if you buy these which i don't think is a bad thing i would recomend you get some studless winter tires for the winter you could probably get some cheap wheels to put them on or buy new ones for your summer tires and put the winters on your stock rims.

I know a lot of you guys are looking for same or better dry handling as the OEM Goodyears, but for anyone who needs good snow and rain traction, and is willing to give up just a little bit of handling, I would suggest Goodyear's Assurance Triple-Tread in 215/50/17. I put these on last fall, and got through a snowy Massachusetts winter with no trouble at all! The car is a tank now - I was driving through unplowed roads where the snow was coming up over the hood! Before that, I was getting stuck in 2 inches of snow.

These tires make no performance claims, yet I swear they handle at least 95% as well as the Eagles, with just a little softer steering response. On the upside, the ride softer and quieter. They had a 80,000 mile warranty and so far, after over 25,000 miles they are hardly worn at all.

I was very skeptical of getting another Goodyear since the Eagls RS-A's are such junk, but the Assurance Triple Tread's are great!

These tires make no performance claims, yet I swear they handle at least 95% as well as the Eagles, with just a little softer steering response.

Since the Eagle RS-A is easily the worst tire I've ever encountered, dry, wet, snow, treadwear, whatever, that's not much of a claim.

I'll stick with the Kumho Ecsta ASX and Dunlop Wintersport M3.

Since the Eagle RS-A is easily the worst tire I've ever encountered, dry, wet, snow, treadwear, whatever, that's not much of a claim.

I'll stick with the Kumho Ecsta ASX and Dunlop Wintersport M3.

Well, by "performance claims" I mostly meant dry handling and steering response. I never really pushed the Eagle RS-A's at all, because I drive pretty mellow most of the time. I just meant to say that in daily driving, the TripleTreads feel a little soft, but otherwise they are lightyears better in the wet and snow, and treadlife is awesome (25K miles and they still look new)

I don't recommend the tire for those who are looking for the sharpest handling and all that... it's all a matter of compromise and priorities... (drive)

How do they fit? I'm not finding too much too choose from in the 205 size

I think that the fit is just fine - no rubbing anywhere in the fenderwell over bumps or with the wheels all the way left or right. I'm sure it would be different if your suspension was lowered... mine is stock though. I agree - there isn't much in all season, 205/50/17. I called TireRack.com and they recommended 215/50 - much better selection there.

I've noticed a new Michelin in 215/50 - I think Primacy is the name. I have no experience with it but it seems to be getting good reviews. Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose! (drinks)

Last edited:
I just replaced the crappy Eagle RS/A with a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Rated #1 in their category on TireRack and among the highest marks for performance on snow/ice. I do realize I can't expect miracles, but I'm sure ANYTHING will perform better than the stock Goodyear here in New England during winter. If I'm not dead after two winters with those tires in only because I have decent skills at driving and they do a pretty good job in plowing the roads where I live............. The manual transmission helped too, expecially in stopping on the snow.

I'll have to wait few more months to see how good the Michelin are, but I have good hopes.

By the way, I got 34,000 miles out of the Goodyear and I have had my share of spinning wheels on wet pavement, snow, ice, you name it (those tires skids on anything that is not dry and warm). At the end they had morphed into a set of racing slicks, I got them down to the wear bars. Kinda fun now that is summer but I'm glad not to have the Michelin.

I think that the fit is just fine - no rubbing anywhere in the fenderwell over bumps or with the wheels all the way left or right. I'm sure it would be different if your suspension was lowered... mine is stock though. I agree - there isn't much in all season, 205/50/17. I called TireRack.com and they recommended 215/50 - much better selection there.

I've noticed a new Michelin in 215/50 - I think Primacy is the name. I have no experience with it but it seems to be getting good reviews. Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose! (drinks)

It's worth noting that plus-zeroing your tires to 215/50R17 from 205/50R17 will have a small impact on speedometer and odometer readings. Specifically, you'll be going ~1.5% faster than your speedometer tells you you are (e.g. 60.9 MPH when the speedo reads 60 MPH) and your odometer will accumulate ~1.5% fewer miles from the point at which the tires were plus-zeroed, which in turn will affect apparent fuel mileage negatively (i.e. it will seem worse than it is).

I don't know that I'd be able to live with that, but then I'm kind of a perfectionistic purist (a.k.a. (screwy)). (Wait for it...) Your mileage may vary. (hand)

It's been linked elsewhere on here, but just to save us the trouble:
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

I just purchased Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid and Love them! I could tell right away that it was a better ride, much quieter than the stock Goodyears, which SUCKED. Only lasted me to 17k miles.

I just purchased Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid and Love them! I could tell right away that it was a better ride, much quieter than the stock Goodyears, which SUCKED. Only lasted me to 17k miles.

Congrats! I just bought the same tires about 5 months ago and they are everything I thought they would be, and more, just awesome!

Back