Protege turbo build

Berto24

:
Mazda Protege DX
Well I just wanted to hear some advices, for the build I am trying to do.
My goal is somewhere between 300-350whp. Btw my car has the 1.6L engine auto tranny
So far I have listed this:
t3/t4 turbo kit ($700)
Includes:
T3/t4 turbo
FMIC
Oil feed line
Oil return line
Oil Catch Tank
Turbo boost controller
2.5 Piping,clamps and couplers
Turbo timer
Fuel pressure Regulator
38mm turbo wastegate
SSQV Blow off valve
Turbo Manifold ($200)
Forged Piston ($500)
Forged Rods($300)
Downpipe($???)
Walbro255LPH fuel pump($60)
550cc Fuel Injectors($250)
Engine Cylinders bore ($200)

Do I need something Else?

You probably should think about putting in a manual if you really want that kind of power mate. Save you a lot of hassle do it right the first time. :)

No, autos have been built before and I know they're cheaper to build as well I just can't remember how much the stock one can hold. Either way 300-350 will break a g series

you can build an auto but you will need to upgrade the valve bodies to hold the extra power. you also need something to control your fuel piggy back or standalone depending how far you want to take your car.

Tomorrow I am going to CP boost, depending of what they tell me if the tranny holds(doubtful) I will stay on the 300whp goal if the tranny doesnt maybe I would shoot for more 400whp maybe. All will depend of what they reccomend me, I will keep this thread updated on what I will decided to do. Thxs for all the tips you guys! :)

Today I visited CP boost and receive a little orientation if we like to call it that way lol The point is the tell me that it was useless to build the auto tranny it will break no matter what there was no option but do a manual swap! Ok I am going for the challenge but the million dollar question is wich tranny will fit does it have to be the same 2000 model or could it fit another one?

Last edited:
And I will tell you that is bs, someone just built an auto tranny that is supposed to be good for 500 whp

a g-series manual trans is gonna need a lot of work in order for it not to shred gears or blow the diff apart. and then after that youre faced with the fact that the trans casing flexes a lot and tends to crack. so, its not that your power goals arent realistic whether manual or auto. but it will come down to how much you are willing to spend to build your trans. a BUILT trans with PAR gears and either mfactory diff or Quiafe. youre looking at about $5000-$7000 more or less. and as stated before you will def need a standalone to better control everything to attain a 400whp range. control, fuel, spark, timing.

And I will tell you that is bs, someone just built an auto tranny that is supposed to be good for 500 whp

In a Protg??? Please find some more information and post because I have my doubts on that claim. If so then good on them but just very skeptical.

a g-series manual trans is gonna need a lot of work in order for it not to shred gears or blow the diff apart. and then after that youre faced with the fact that the trans casing flexes a lot and tends to crack. so, its not that your power goals arent realistic whether manual or auto. but it will come down to how much you are willing to spend to build your trans. a BUILT trans with PAR gears and either mfactory diff or Quiafe. youre looking at about $5000-$7000 more or less. and as stated before you will def need a standalone to better control everything to attain a 400whp range. control, fuel, spark, timing.
Okay that is a lot of $$ that is really out of budget I believe I will have to lower my power level to 250whp max, okay maybe I will go manual the question is can I strap any model year tranny? Example 98 protege tranny or the g series one?

the 1.6 zm-de used an f-series transmission right? A g-series won't work with the 1.6 if that's the case. I've heard the f-series is a bit weaker than the g-series...

Can we make the power level 250chp?

+1 on some sort of piggy back/engine managment

I'm 99% sure you can swap the g series trans into the 1.6. I'm not sure if you will need the fseries bell housing or not. The main difference is usually just the bolt pattern on the bell housing to engine. However I never looked into the f series but I'm pretty sure they are interchange able

Now the g15mr will hold 300-350 whp reliably depending on how you shift and how much you beat on it. There are multiple changes in them through the years but the one you want if you can find it is the 02.5 626 trans I was told they have the updated shift fork and synchros. 02-02.5 just had updated synchros. But the 626 had the different gearing for 5th which will lower cruising rpms a bit. If you're not worried about the different 5th protgs had the same trans with same updates in the 02 and 02.5. All 99-03 g series will be fine if you can't find any you can also use the earlier ones in probes mx6 and 626 if you really get desperate but you will need the bell housing. One thing you will need to do is get an LSD, mfactory or welded msp will do fine. Open diff sucks. I have more useless info on g series trans missions if you need to know anything else specific

Some people will say that you can use Gtx gears to make it stronger, however I'm not sure of what years I know the 88-89 ( what the us got) break gears above 250 whp but being awd I'm sure there's more stress there

Back