Prepping for winter

kickin_81

Mechanical Engineering Student
:
MN, USA
:
2015 Mazda 3 S GT
With winter coming around, what are you guys and girls who live north of the snow belt or at higher elevation doing to protect your M5 from rust and the cold?

For me, I've either done or I'm in the process of doing these:
- will install new Falken ZIEX 950 AS tires in OEM dimensions and maintain OEM tire pressures
- will spraying white lithium grease on the door hinges, sunroof rails, and sliding door rails
- will spray dry grease on undercarraige bolt heads exposed
- change the oil/filter
- check the condition of the coolant
- buy large rubber floor mats
- buy a large car wash coupon book (whistle)

Any ideas as to what else I could look into?

You can store it away like most of my Northern friends do with their prized possessions.

Otherwise, be prepared for Mazda's infamous rust.

Good luck. Its going to be 80 here on X mas.

Yep, my 2006 5 is starting to rust out in the rear fenders. Apparently keeping it in the garage during the winter accelerates the process

Ensure anti-seize is on the hub of each wheel to prevent the wheels from rusting on making change back over a PITA.

This is especially true if you are running aluminum rims during the winter.

Maybe also give it a good coat of wax and treat the windshield with Rain-x or similar treatment.
Change over to Winter blades especially if you park outdoors.
Ensure the washer fluid is 100% winter stuff. Sometimes the dealerships top up during the summer with bug wash only.

pack inside quarter fenders and fender lip with grease. Also use corrosion free formula 3000 and spray the inside quarters. Works excellent

Thanks for the awesome ideas! If there's anything else, please share!
Minnesota is known to be the rust capital of the country, and it will be nice to not become part of the statistic.

Back