Powder coating my rims.. Any recommended shops?

oakley990099

:
08.5 CWP Mazdaspeed 3
I live in Northern, Nj (west milford to be exact). I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good shop that is affordable too. I tried a couple places but they gave me prices I though was a little crazy (600$ area)..

any help would be great; Thanks !

I don't live anywhere near you but for that price you could ship them here, have them powdercoated and shipped back for less than that. (I don't recommend it, just sayin that's expensive) I've been quoted at $275 for all 4.

yeah i know :( i just hung up. I guy i met at the gym told me a place that he got his BMW rims coated for 50$ a wheel and i called the place and they said they don't even powder coat!

yeah i know :( i just hung up. I guy i met at the gym told me a place that he got his BMW rims coated for 50$ a wheel and i called the place and they said they don't even powder coat!

lol That's messed up. But i would figure somewhere around $200-250 to get them powder coated

There's a place down here called wicked in south Jersey. one of the kids in class works there. I'm trying get mine done. Hit me up 609 864 6797. I can tell you more tomorrow.

Yeah I'm not a fan of doing them myself. I know I would screw it up bad. Finally found one more and they quoted me a 400$ price because of the "design" of the wheel and the amount of "spokes"... Still a little pricy for my liking

If I were to find a place: would you think white or black coat look better on white 08?? (I know white would turn to grey in a day or two of brake dust but I'm pretty anal when it come to my car so I clean my rims of brake dust almost every morning )

and a large modified oven correct?

Oven?? (wth) are you talking about??

Yeah I'm not a fan of doing them myself. I know I would screw it up bad. Finally found one more and they quoted me a 400$ price because of the "design" of the wheel and the amount of "spokes"... Still a little pricy for my liking

You would save alot of money. It's not hard to do watch this video and it shows the following steps how to do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZOE_hhXyZk&feature=related

Here are the steps
-sand rim starting with 220 and work your way to 400
-clean rim of all dust and other impurities with a tack cloth
-spray first coat of primer lightly
- spray 2-3 more increasingly heavier coats of primer
- let the primer dry and sand smooth if needed
-clean rim again with tack cloth
-spray your first coat of color lightly
-spray the next 3-4 coats of color increasingly heavier until the rim is coated and the color is at least 2 fully covered coats thick
-next spray the clear after waiting for the color to dry for not longer then 1 hour so it still has some of the tack from the color to grab but the color has flashed off enough to not leave haze in the clear
- let the rim dry fully, I left mine to cure for 2 weeks before mounting back on my car.

Rattle can-it..?

Anyone please help I googled so many places and believe it or not some auto body shops put me on hold while they asked someone else in the shop what powder coating was and if they did it! Come on now. I would love to just stop being cheap and actually buy a real set of rims but I still haven't found a set I like enough to drop 1k+ into. I love the stock ones I just want a new finish!

I'd say just spray 'em yourself. Lots of people have done it. I mean powder coat is ideal, but a lot of people have to ship their wheels off to even have it done!

Rattle can-it..?

Anyone please help I googled so many places and believe it or not some auto body shops put me on hold while they asked someone else in the shop what powder coating was and if they did it! Come on now. I would love to just stop being cheap and actually buy a real set of rims but I still haven't found a set I like enough to drop 1k+ into. I love the stock ones I just want a new finish!

Yeah but your not just rattle canning the rims. Your powder coating them as you follow the steps.

-(Spray can is just going over the rims with a spray can)

"What this is is different, You're actually powder coating the rims Follow these steps" below :

Here are the steps
-spray the next 3-4 coats of color increasingly heavier until the rim is coated and the color is at least 2 fully covered coats thick
-next spray the clear after waiting for the color to dry for not longer then 1 hour so it still has some of the tack from the color to grab but the color has flashed off enough to not leave haze in the clear
- let the rim dry fully, I left mine to cure for 2 weeks before mounting back on my car.

Kleen mz6- appreciate the effort to help but I really just rather not. I only have this set of rims so I wouldn't be able to have my rims off that long with work and everything. Thanks again for trying to help, I'm just not into that idea really

Yeah but your not just rattle canning the rims. Your powder coating them as you follow the steps.

-(Spray can is just going over the rims with a spray can)

"What this is is different, You're actually powder coating the rims Follow these steps" below :

Here are the steps

That's a rattle can job. Powder coating involves curing them in a large oven.

This is what it takes for powder coating not spraying with a rattle can.

The most common way of applying the powder coating to metal objects is to spray the powder using an electrostatic gun, or corona gun. The gun imparts a negative electric charge to the powder, which is then sprayed towards the grounded object by mechanical or compressed air spraying and then accelerated toward the workpiece by the powerful electrostatic charge. There are a wide variety of spray nozzles available for use in electrostatic coating. The type of nozzle used will depend on the shape of the workpiece to be painted and the consistency of the paint. The object is then heated, and the powder melts into a uniform film, and is then cooled to form a hard coating. It is also common to heat the metal first and then spray the powder onto the hot substrate. Preheating can help to achieve a more uniform finish but can also create other problems, such as runs caused by excess powder. See the article "Fusion Bonded Epoxy Coatings"

Well said mazdaspeedturbo. Now that everyone understands what powder coating is vs rattle can spray; where can I find one in jersey!? I'm willing to drive an hour away for this to be done . I just can't ship my wheels out

thanks for the vindication mazdaspeedturbo. sorry to get your thread off topic. good luck with the search.

1/hour job:
-Spray canning rims with just the color is = Rattle can (YES) That's called Spray can/Rattle can which you all are referring too!!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

7-8/hour Job:
-Sanding down the rims waiting for them to dry
-Spraying Heavy coats down with Primer waiting for them to dry
-Then spraying Heavy coats applying the color you want waiting for them to dry
-Then letting them sit wait to dry

= IS CALLED (POWDER COATING) THEM A "GENERIC WAY". You powder coated the rims in with a spray can with sandpaper and primer. But they are still powder coated

If you want to save money, this is the route to take! In the end, either if you follow these steps or take it to a shop at the end of the day. The end result will be the same. Your just saving money this way

1/hour job:
-Spray canning rims with just the color is = Rattle can (YES) That's called Spray can/Rattle can which you all are referring too!!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

7-8/hour Job:
-Sanding down the rims waiting for them to dry
-Spraying Heavy coats down with Primer waiting for them to dry
-Then spraying Heavy coats applying the color you want waiting for them to dry
-Then letting them sit wait to dry

= IS CALLED (POWDER COATING) THEM A "GENERIC WAY". You powder coated the rims in with a spray can with sandpaper and primer. But they are still powder coated

If you want to save money, this is the route to take! In the end, either if you follow these steps or take it to a shop at the end of the day. The end result will be the same. Your just saving money this way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

Back