ported or sealed

hey all, wuts up
ok question...i have a ported box with 2 12" JL W3's it sounds so amazing but the box ways like 100lb and i dont want that much wait in the car...if i were to get a smaller sealed box would it sound as good?

In general, Ported boxes are better for alot of Bass. While a sealed box will give you a tighter sound and not as loud on the bass. I have 2 15's in a sealed box and they are as loud as I need. The sound is clean and the bass is tight.
Not too sure on the wieght difference though. It won't be much I'm sure. You can't go with too small a box or your speakers just won't sound right.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: MP3-Owner ]

sealed boxes are very good if you listen to techno or fast beat bass. ported are good for most rap without a fast beat.
i was told this by a tech at crutchfied.

In my experience i have delt with both.
A sealed box will have to have a bigger amp to push the subs, where as a ported box you will not need as much power from the amp. Also keep in mind that a sealed box is the trues sound you will EVER get out of a speaker. I have done this professionally for 10 years.
Anywho, it just depends on what kind of music you listen to the most. Sealed is better across the board. With a ported box you can get lower freq. I personally like the Sealed box its clean, truer and not as much room being used in the car.
Also when you build the box, goto Wally World and get some Poly-Fill....Get Two jumbo bags and put 3/4 of the bag in each chamber. This will def. help. any ?'s email me!!
M Y OLD SYSTEM

pretty impressive man ! i wish i could do something like that i love car stereo just a little on the broke side right now.
what kinda subs are those and what kinda amp is that ??

2 Earthquake Magmas, and a Phoenix Gold ms2125. I miss it more and more. See i sold all of that stuff to get my MP3 so i have been saving to get another system.

I will have in the Ride:

Front Speakers: Soundstream Exact 5.3
Rear Speakers : Soundstream Exact 6.2
Headunit :
Subwoofers : 2 Soundstream Exact 12s
Sub Amplifier : Phoenix Gold MS2125 or
Earthquake PA2300
4Channel Amp : Macintosh

I havent started on it yet but i believe by summer i will have something in there. I am going to do everything in Fiberglass....I have to get ready for NOPI again.

What did you ever do with your system did you go ported or sealed?

how did you like those flat pistons. my buddy put some adiobahn flat pistons with an assload of power for spring break in daytona and they sucked. he go more dbs out of one double bump excursion with a hole in it.

how did you like those flat pistons. my buddy put some adiobahn flat pistons with an assload of power for spring break in daytona and they sucked. he go more dbs out of one double bump excursion with a hole in it.

The quality of these subs and low bass is no where in comparison. These shot the Audioobahns out of the water. They were sweet, i will never hear another set of subs with that much low bass from two 12's, hell they hit lower than 95% of all the 15 inch subs i ever heard. So to answer you question, yes i loved them, they would never distort. I would crank and crank and they wouldnt blow. Well worth gettin, the only thing is that you need to get alot of power to them because they are 6 ohms a piece.....

Back