pontiac Fiero

fiero

i want to know everything. i want to buy one and fix it up. i wanna buy a fiero then drop the GT motor and 5spd tranny in. Then throw on more mods. But I dont know how easy they are to work on. Is one year better than the other or is the 84 just like the 88? what are the differences between the years? i just need basic information about them. i really dont have much knowledge about them. Someone please give me some basic info on them.

The 84-87 cars had the same suspension and frame with different powertrains. The 84's were Iron Duke 4 cylinders and had a reputation for catching fire. It was a problem with a wiring harness that was corrected. The 84 was the year it paced Indy and you can still find pace car versions in decent condition.

85 and 86 added the GT model with the "aero" front and rear bumpers but remained a notchback. The 2.8L V6 was the engine and it was mated to a 4 speed manual (muncie) or an auto.

In 87 the GT grew fastback sail panels and different tail lights. There was also the addition of the 5 speed manual. (getrag)

The 84-87 fiero is known to have some bump steer but there are fixes for that through the aftermarket. They can be made to handle decent with the correct mods and there are a lot of parts out there for them. It isn't too had to find replacement parts for an 84-87 because most of their parts are shared with other platforms.

In 88 they revised the entire suspension and brakes. This was the best handling Fiero from the factory. But in mid 88 the car was killed so there aren't too many out there. Parts for 88's are hard to find and cost more money.

There was also a "Formula" model that was introduced in 87 or 88. This is a GT with the 4 cylinder front and rear bumpers. The Formulas were the lightest package available.

ENGINE MODS
The 4 cylinder is worthless, don't mess with it. The 2.8L v6 is not going to get you much bang for the buck. There are turbo kits out there for it. Some peole take the later 3.4L shortblock and drop it in since it's the same pacakge. I still wouldn't do this. Almost ANY GM engine will fit in a Fiero, and has been done. Popular swaps include 3.8L S/C V6, Northstar V8, LT1 V8, 4.9L Caddy V8, 3.4L DOHC V6, Quad 4 I-4, and LS1's and EcoTec's have even been done. There was even a guy that put a 4G63T in his Fiero. One company (West Coast Fiero) has a Turbo 3.4L DOHC that looks really good. I've heard the 3.4 DOHC has a pretty nice sound to it. The 3.4 and 3.8L are common easy, cheap swaps.

to Mallard

Thanks that is a huge help. Tell me what year and make you reccomend and what motor to get for it. You seem to know your fieros. I dont want something thats gonna blow up or catch fire since i will be inside the car. i want something that will be easy to work on and install. The 3.4L sounds nice but your the expert here. I want something that will sound good and be able to upgrade and maintain and be easy to find parts for but at the same time wont break the bank. What motor, tranny, year, model do you recomend?

slackazzmouser said:
Thanks that is a huge help. Tell me what year and make you reccomend and what motor to get for it. You seem to know your fieros. I dont want something thats gonna blow up or catch fire since i will be inside the car. i want something that will be easy to work on and install. The 3.4L sounds nice but your the expert here. I want something that will sound good and be able to upgrade and maintain and be easy to find parts for but at the same time wont break the bank. What motor, tranny, year, model do you recomend?

I will tell you that working on any mid-engine car is not easy. So just to give you a heads up if you haven't worked on cars before.

I would love to build out a badass kitcar on a Fiero chassis....

I would use the 88 model and everything would be to it's best, since GM never really took the car to it's potential.

Not that this too much help, but I used to work with a guy who dropped an Oldsmobile Quad 4 into a late model Fiero. It doesn't sound like much, but it was pretty quick and went in with not much modification, that I remember. It had to be lighter that the Iron Duke or the 6 cylinder engines too.

I always felt GM just didn't spend the money on developing that car to its full potential. But what else is new.

Best mod ever for the Fiero:

fiero2_004.jpg

kurt said:
Not that this too much help, but I used to work with a guy who dropped an Oldsmobile Quad 4 into a late model Fiero. It doesn't sound like much, but it was pretty quick and went in with not much modification, that I remember. It had to be lighter that the Iron Duke or the 6 cylinder engines too.

I always felt GM just didn't spend the money on developing that car to its full potential. But what else is new.

The quad 4 is sort of easy and it can be modded pretty well. 230HP naturally asperated is not unheard of with that engine. You can boost them too.

Supposedly the 88 Fiero's were beating the 88 Corvettes around the proving grounds, and one reason they weren't taken any further is because the Corvette has to be top dog.

apexlater is correct. Woring on a Fiero is a pain n the ass. Just make sure you have everything right on the engine the first time, when you put it in.

slackazz - For mod-ability and ease of locating parts I would say find a nice 85-87 GT. Pull back the trunk carpet and look for rust. The body panals are composite, but the space frame is steel. They most common place for rust is the trunk.

For engines, the 3.8L V6 can't be beat for its ease of swap, price, hp, mod-ability and performance. Although the exhaust note may not be entriely pleasing. You can find these engines in any 97 and up Grand Prix GTP, Bonneville SSEi, or Buick Regale GS. You can use a stock Fireo manual trasmission, or the transaxle that comes with the engine.

The 3.4L DOHC can be found in Lumina Z34's and maybe a few other GM vehicles. It's not as high volume an engine as the 3.8L so you will have a little more trouble locating one. Supposedly GM had these engines up to 280-290 hp n/a and had to detune them to save the trannys. Everyone that puts them in a Fiero loves the exhaust note and its ability to rev. It's on par with the 3.8L for ease of swap. If you aren't wanting a V8 I would probably go with this motor. There are some variations to this engine over the years of production. Look at Pennock's Forum for more info on that.

Pennock's Forum has a wealth of information. Check it out and do some searches. People has well documented their swaps.

Haha, it's like a miniature Ferrari. Looks pretty cool, but I bet he gets flamed about it quite a bit, comes along with it.

fiero

yea i think we can all agree mid engine cars arent the easiest to work on but they do perform well. GM screwed up and didnt use the car to the full potential and everyone would love to see more around. in summary

1. Thanks to everyone for all your input
2. GM sucks
3. Fieros need to be brought back
4. Ill let you all know how to project turns out

slackazzmouser said:
what is so bad about the exhaust note on the 3.8 V6? What is EXHAUST NOTE?
The sound of the exhaust.

All of the modded 3.8L S/C Grand Prix's I have seen sound like vaccuum cleaners (for lack of a better description). Fiero's have really short exhausts so maybe they'll sound better.

Back