Plastic cover underneath the engine fell off

kiroro

:
2008 Black Mica MS3 GT
Guys,

I have 08 GT. Just found that the plastic cover (or liner?) underneath the engine was almost falling off..it's the one you have to take off during oil change. I haven't got a chance to look at it yet, but if the screw holes are ripped, can I just take the cover off and drive like that? Is it very important for it to be there to protect the engine?

you can take it off, but i would get it fixed or replaced. that cover helps airflow through the radiator.

Thanks guys, I just took it off and it was damaged. I will take it to a dealership..hopefully they will cover it under warranty, but i kinda doubt..

you will be fine for a short time without it. just dont KEEP it off, get it replaced.

i highly doubt your dealer will cover it under warrnaty, but i always say its better to ask!

Minimal effect on engine cooling. In fact, I suspect the dadgum thing slows engine cooling when the car is stopped. Cool air can't be pulled into the engine bay as easily with the hood up.

They're used mostly to smooth out the air flow under the car. Probably helps keep water from splashing onto the motor as much, too.

I'm in the same boat

.... gotta thank that lovely strip of I-10 between Tally and Jax and all of those chunks of blown tire all over the place on my road trip to FL at the beginning of the month... (thumb)

The dealer won't cover it, because it falls under wear and tear. Its actually two pieces, a larger and smaller piece. The smaller is the part closest to the bumper. The dealership up here said they'd knock off 30% from MSRP, so it was like $160 for the bigger part. Mine is hangin' like a hammock right now. Its gettin replaced next week.

Minimal effect on engine cooling. In fact, I suspect the dadgum thing slows engine cooling when the car is stopped. Cool air can't be pulled into the engine bay as easily with the hood up.

They're used mostly to smooth out the air flow under the car. Probably helps keep water from splashing onto the motor as much, too.

i feel sorry for people that think this way. (yupnope)

You can get fender washers to maybe hold a bigger area where it was damaged. Might need slightly longer bolts. Home Depot and $5 and problem solved.

I think I'm gonna have to agree with MikeH. It is called a "splash guard".

I see more aerodynamic benefit than cooling from this... smooths air flow under the car.

Nissan does the same thing with its splash guards; and I'm sure many other auto manufacturers do the same on their sport models as well. I know for a fact that the R34 GT-R V-spec IIs actually produced down-force at speed from the under-car aero pieces, and the Z33 under-car aero pieces created what they called "negative-lift"... whatever that means.

But unless you track your car, why would you even care about aerodynamics? You'd probably create more drag driving with your windows down than missing that thing.

Either way, I don't think you would see a bunch of difference with it on or off in everyday driving. Ultimately its just a piece of plastic in place to keep your engine and engine bay clean.

Last edited:
why not JB weld the ripped bolt holes closed then drill to propper size, problem solved like $4 spent

So what's wrong with that statement? What possible cooling benefit is there, considering it's below and behind the radiator?

it helps create a lower pressure zone behind the raditor to assist in pulling air through the raditor. its value is for more than just water splash.

If you look at the NACA ducts in the belly pan, you will see they're intended to route some air into the engine bay, not remove it. The positive pressure at the front of the radiator is more than sufficient for engine cooling, even at slow speeds.

For years the manufactures have used these belly pans to reduce turbulence under the vehicle, improving fuel mileage. Apparently, it works well enough for that and reducing the amount of road grunge to make it worth the cost.

...The positive pressure at the front of the radiator is more than sufficient for engine cooling, even at slow speeds...

if you believe this, then remove the belly pan and raditor fans, because all they're doing then is adding weight.

If you look at the NACA ducts in the belly pan, you will see they're intended to route some air into the engine bay, not remove it. The positive pressure at the front of the radiator is more than sufficient for engine cooling, even at slow speeds.

For years the manufactures have used these belly pans to reduce turbulence under the vehicle, improving fuel mileage. Apparently, it works well enough for that and reducing the amount of road grunge to make it worth the cost.

look at the science here.
Stopping air from leaving the bottom of the engine bay helps create a lower pressure zone that aids in cooling.

Sounds correct lol. (headshake
the ms6 has the same splash guard, its just one piece and has no inlet/outlet vents. keeping the engine bay at a positive pressure by reducing the ability for the car to vent the heated air would cause overheating. Plus it would make it harder for air to move through the rad into an already raised pressure zone.

I've driven my Ram quite a bit with no fan. The e-fan I put in it only comes on in traffic, never above about 30 mph. That is the whole purpose of fan clutches and electric fans. The fan clutch was designed to stop the fan while on the highway, just as the electric fans don't run when at speed. The airflow through the radiator is way more than is needed except when crawling along in traffic.

I've driven my Ram quite a bit with no fan. The e-fan I put in it only comes on in traffic, never above about 30 mph. That is the whole purpose of fan clutches and electric fans. The fan clutch was designed to stop the fan while on the highway, just as the electric fans don't run when at speed. The airflow through the radiator is way more than is needed except when crawling along in traffic.

well, if your brick of a truck is fine, then the speed3 should be honkie-dorie.

look at the science here.
Stopping air from leaving the bottom of the engine bay helps create a lower pressure zone that aids in cooling...
Think about that a minute. Preventing the evacuation of air while it's pouring in through the grill at 1,000's of cfm will raise the pressure, not lower it.

Back