Be careful where you take your CX-90 for service and check for damage

Took our CX-90 to a local Mazda service department for its first oil change and this is what we saw underneath the car after we paid the bill and got the key back.

20230626Mazda Service Damage.jpg

I have gotten used to checking around and under the car for damage or missing screws or bolts, whenever I get my cars serviced. I even asked the service advisor about the jacking points before they pulled the car into the service area. They told me this is the first CX-90 they serviced and clearly, they messed up. They are ordering the new plastic cover part, but I told them I’m concerned about what may have been crushed underneath it. They said it’s just the rear AC tubing, but I’m not sure if I can trust them to tell me if they do see more damage underneath it.

:( Ouch. I am willing to bet that isn't a cheap piece either with how big it is. If I had to guess though, it probably made a large crack sound and they stopped before pressing any further. I think you'll probably be okay, had they kept going, it seems like the left side of the cracked part would be missing more of the plastic (as it would have pushed up into stuff.

My 90 is at the dealer right now getting the rear BSMs swapped out, and a oil change. Also trying to get them to do the driver door wiring harness TSB (popping cracking sound from door harness rubbing). Now I am going to be paranoid as hell!

As a side note, I got a CX90 PHEV loaner, and it drives nothing like a TS.

Its a higher trim model (PP?) with the 21's and the ride is harsher with the extra weight, car doesnt feel as balanced, its lighter in the front and heavier in the middle, at highway speeds you can feel this going over bumps. Steering is super light and easy compared to the firmer setup on the TS. I know its rated at similar HP/TQ, but other than the instant EV torque at very low RPMs, it doesnt have any torque rush in the mid range and doesnt feel linear in the powerband as RPMs climb (which is hard to track with no actual tachometer).

I think actual driver / car enthusiasts would be very disappointed with the PHEV over the TS. But the PHEV clearly wins running purely off electric when putzing around town for normal folks.

Last edited:
:( Ouch. I am willing to bet that isn't a cheap piece either with how big it is. If I had to guess though, it probably made a large crack sound and they stopped before pressing any further. I think you'll probably be okay, had they kept going, it seems like the left side of the cracked part would be missing more of the plastic (as it would have pushed up into stuff.

My 90 is at the dealer right now getting the rear BSMs swapped out, and a oil change. Also trying to get them to do the driver door wiring harness TSB (popping cracking sound from door harness rubbing). Now I am going to be paranoid as hell!

As a side note, I got a CX90 PHEV loaner, and it drives nothing like a TS.

Its a higher trim model (PP?) with the 21's and the ride is harsher with the extra weight, car doesnt feel as balanced, its lighter in the front and heavier in the middle, at highway speeds you can feel this going over bumps. Steering is super light and easy compared to the firmer setup on the TS. I know its rated at similar HP/TQ, but other than the instant EV torque at very low RPMs, it doesnt have any torque rush in the mid range and doesnt feel linear in the powerband as RPMs climb (which is hard to track with no actual tachometer).

I think actual driver / car enthusiasts would be very disappointed with the PHEV over the TS. But the PHEV clearly wins running purely off electric when putzing around town for normal folks.
The service tech didn't tell anyone about the damage, so always check every inch of the car before leaving the dealership. It was a good thing my son was with me and he noticed it, when I totally missed it.

Please keep us updated on the BSM issue. The dealer wanted me to schedule another day when they have a loaner car available to troubleshoot that issue. I also just started seeing an error message that prompt me to go to a Mazda service yesterday. The service advisor simply discounted as no big deal, because the error message went away after a restart. Saw the same error message again this morning.
20230626 Error Message.jpg

Wow, that's cool that they actually have a CX90 PHEV available for you to drive as a loaner.
The Mazda dealership I was at yesterday didn't have any new PHEV as I was very interested in test driving one to compare. I saw this YouTube reviewer and he also seems to not like the PHEV version as much as the Turbo S: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYlEdjGWAI

I havent gotten that error message ever with my BSM issues. Dealer was unable to replicate my problems, but I believe that has more to do with whatever diagnostic procedure they were doing must have reset some things in the system. When I got the car back from the initial diagnostic, the false positives were occurring as blips, and not being held on as I was seeing previously. After 100+ miles or so, the behavior came back all at once, and has been operating the same since then.

I suspect their diagnostic process likely reset something early on that prevented them from re-creating the behavior, but I had given them video proof, multiple videos so it was undeniable. I will report back how things look when I get it back (hopefully today).

Wow! That's unexcusable tbh. It goes to show how incompetent the tech was. They have FULL access to factory service manuals. If it's truly their first cx-90 then they SHOULD follow the FSM 100%.

I highly recommend you demand pictures to your satisfaction when they remove the tray to prove no further damage was done. Like they said, this is their first cx-90, how they can be so sure ONLY "rear ac tubing" is housed there.

Took our CX-90 to a local Mazda service department for its first oil change and this is what we saw underneath the car after we paid the bill and got the key back.
View attachment 320247

I have gotten used to checking around and under the car for damage or missing screws or bolts, whenever I get my cars serviced. I even asked the service advisor about the jacking points before they pulled the car into the service area. They told me this is the first CX-90 they serviced and clearly, they messed up. They are ordering the new plastic cover part, but I told them I’m concerned about what may have been crushed underneath it. They said it’s just the rear AC tubing, but I’m not sure if I can trust them to tell me if they do see more damage underneath it.
I think we're from the same area, Montreal...Can you share the name of the dealer?

Wow! That's unexcusable tbh. It goes to show how incompetent the tech was. They have FULL access to factory service manuals. If it's truly their first cx-90 then they SHOULD follow the FSM 100%.

I highly recommend you demand pictures to your satisfaction when they remove the tray to prove no further damage was done. Like they said, this is their first cx-90, how they can be so sure ONLY "rear ac tubing" is housed there.
Their service manager wasn't in yesterday and they told me he would call me today. I'm upset and still waiting for him to call me. I'll have to wait and see what they'll do to prove to me that nothing else is damaged.

Back