Phone Scam

DeadGeneration

Contributor
:
'04 RX8
Please read the following
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-478-8892

phone call around 9:30am Monday morning from (866)478-8892 and I was sleepy but remember when I answered it said I have a collect call from a correctional facility (it said the same facility that my boyfriend is at), and to press a button to accept. So I pressed it and then it said something like my phone can't accept collect calls and to call some 800# with my credit card # to setup a prepaid account. I assumed it was a mistake by Global Tel-Link because they mess up on our calls many times and said I didn't have a pre-pay acct when I did. Good thing I didn't call back right away and give them my cc#, I was soo sleepy that I turned the phone off and went back to sleep.

Well this call sounds innocent because it sounded very similar to the collect calls I have received before I had a prepay acct set up. Well, guess what....my honey never called at that time and when I called back the number it said that this number has some new information and in order to receive it, I must press any button. So I pressed the button and it said it will send me a text message with the information, then it hung up. The text message is from # 23333 and says ""Reply Y Now to get the info on the # you are trying to reach. Locator Srvc $9.99/month+std msg fees for 20 lookups/month. Support/terms? www.smsvw.com".

It seems to be a scam or telemarketer so I didn't reply to the text message. So I looked at the website and its some locator service, which is all a bunch of crap. I googled the name of the website and found many others complaining of receiving this call, but they don't have anybody in the prison system, and the calls say different names of prisons to each person. Here's the website: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-478-8892
The website contains all the different caller ids that this telemarketer/scam company is using. One person got charged $25 somehow by this company and they didn't know how it happened.

... bastards... I even emailed my local police department and they said it was a legit call by this company: "The number is one our telephone lines that inmate makes call on. In order for you to receive a call from an inmate, you must set up an account with GTL billing. Their phone number is 1-877-650-4249."

sounds like a bad company, a bad employee, or someone outside the company abusing their system.

your boyfriend eh?

lol
Please read the following
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-478-8892

phone call around 9:30am Monday morning from (866)478-8892 and I was sleepy but remember when I answered it said I have a collect call from a correctional facility (it said the same facility that my boyfriend is at), and to press a button to accept. So I pressed it and then it said something like my phone can't accept collect calls and to call some 800# with my credit card # to setup a prepaid account. I assumed it was a mistake by Global Tel-Link because they mess up on our calls many times and said I didn't have a pre-pay acct when I did. Good thing I didn't call back right away and give them my cc#, I was soo sleepy that I turned the phone off and went back to sleep.

Well this call sounds innocent because it sounded very similar to the collect calls I have received before I had a prepay acct set up. Well, guess what....my honey never called at that time and when I called back the number it said that this number has some new information and in order to receive it, I must press any button. So I pressed the button and it said it will send me a text message with the information, then it hung up. The text message is from # 23333 and says ""Reply Y Now to get the info on the # you are trying to reach. Locator Srvc $9.99/month+std msg fees for 20 lookups/month. Support/terms? www.smsvw.com".

It seems to be a scam or telemarketer so I didn't reply to the text message. So I looked at the website and its some locator service, which is all a bunch of crap. I googled the name of the website and found many others complaining of receiving this call, but they don't have anybody in the prison system, and the calls say different names of prisons to each person. Here's the website: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-478-8892
The website contains all the different caller ids that this telemarketer/scam company is using. One person got charged $25 somehow by this company and they didn't know how it happened.

... bastards... I even emailed my local police department and they said it was a legit call by this company: "The number is one our telephone lines that inmate makes call on. In order for you to receive a call from an inmate, you must set up an account with GTL billing. Their phone number is 1-877-650-4249."

sounds like a bad company, a bad employee, or someone outside the company abusing their system.

lol I copy and pasted from someone else since I didn't want to type up my own experience from it. I hung up both times it called, but my comments start with ...bastards...

also I just read another scam about two years ago was an inmate would call and then ask you to dial *72 and someone elses phone number so you could transfer the inmate to his mother after he accidentally reached you on his 1 phone call per day limit. Every single call to your house would be forwarded then until you caught on, and they were all collect calls charged to your phone.

This scam seems different, they just want your billing information and tell you little else and just charge you money for nothing.

happened to me awhile back, $35 dollar charge from a number like that (cant remember it exactly) bank took it off as they couldnt reach anyone at any of the numbers either.
pretty lame.
horray for that do not call list huh?

Yeah. I stop and think about these things all the time. They want your credit card information, so even if you are ... LOL its calling me again RIGHT NOW ... haha ok thats the 3rd time I have received a call which means it should be the last according to trends. ok... so anyway... even if you accept the charges and get burned you can always dispute the charges with your credit card company. I guess they still make money or they wouldn't be doing it. This last message I received attempted to make it as legit as possible by saying "global tel-link" a hundred times and giving an official phone number. I still think it's a scam and the scammer is trying to cover their butts with the last call. owell

That's why you NEVER give out CC information over the phone!

Well what shocks me is that there actually are legit companies that take that kind of information over the phone - and they are used by the police! The GTL (global tel-link) is a legit phone service that correction facilities use, since all calls are collect and cell phones can't be billed the same way a land-line is with a collect call. It seems like an obvious vulnerability. GTL itself has been reported to the BBB many times for being inaccurate on their information. Bleh

i was never asked for my cc info, nor would i give it out.
my account had been chanrged by a phone number that apparently didn't exist, no one could trace it but somehow they were able to charge me $35.

Back