Pearl White or Brilliant Black? Help!

One of my biggest complaints with my CX-9 (Copper Red) is the paint job. It was not beautiful to begin with and it seems to scratch and chip easily. I believe they charge a premium for the White color and wonder if this paint is of a higher quality. If so, I'd go with white. To me the only drawback with white is that it doesn't look the best with the grey trim on the lower part of the car.

No. They charge $200 more because of the costly pearl reflective pigments.
Luxury brands typically have 7 or more layers of paint jobs on their vehicles.
2nd tier brands have fewer layers.

if you can negotiate, the dealership is able to give you the white paint at cost, which is 120 bucks. At least that's what they told me. (nana)

Next car is going to be not black, such a pain to keep clean.

If you are getting the CX9 at near invoice level,
you are paying about $120 for the pearl paint anyway.
You pay $200 only if you buy the CX9 at MSRP.

I went with the Pearl White. It's a classy color that stays cleaner especially here in Boston during the winter months. This is my 2nd pearl white car with my Acura TL being the first. It still looks great after 7 years but has yellowed a little bit. I didn't notice the change till I parked it next to my new CX-9. The sand interior is nice for a change. It stays cool in the summer. The white and sand combo makes the A/C work so much more efficiently during the dog days of summer.

I wished we would have went for white as well. We have Copper Red and at 47k it is still holding up very well, minus just a couple chips thanks to the Clear Bra I had installed when new. For some reason I am on a white kick and now live in AZ so the lighter color is nice with the sun/heat, but also looks great cleaned up.

I'm on my second Pearl White, which is logical here in the desert. While white doesn't have the deep "wet"look that black and other colors can have, it stays much cooler in our intense heat.

Here in the islands too. Black could be fatal. :)

IF anyone is still interested in this thread, I have one more observation.

Park a Black or Grey CX-9 next to a Pearl White and you will think they are CX-7s. Yes dear, white does make your ass look big...

Here in the islands too. Black could be fatal. :)

IF anyone is still interested in this thread, I have one more observation.

Park a Black or Grey CX-9 next to a Pearl White and you will think they are CX-7s. Yes dear, white does make your ass look big...

very funny !! lol , i actually went with Black and very happy, i chose black because here in Florida we have a lot of car wash for $3 i just run that car in there once a week and it shines.

One more point on colors.
I did another science project with my kid.
We took metal boxes of different colors (red, blue, green, black and white).
We placed them under direct sun shine (around 95F that day).
Every 1 minute or so, we opened the box and took the inside temp w/ an infrared thermometer.
The black one heated up faster and stayed about 10F hotter than other colors.
Just FYI.

the blue is by far my favorite color, but i couldn't find one with the sand interior (if it's even possible to get that combo). i got the white pearl.

I have one.
Stormy Blue with Sand interior.
I thought it was very common in California.

I think all the colors are pretty great. I always love white because it seems to be the best color to show the lines of the car. I always love black because, all shined up (IMHO) nothing looks better. Im always afraid the other colors will look dated. Remember that origional ford edge tv ad, with the orange color? Looked awesome then but makes me wanna Yack now, lol. I have black, detailed properly with great products and allihave to do is wash and dry and I'm done. Looks like a million bucks. I've also had quite a few black cars and have keeping them immaculate is easy for me.. If your worried about it, go with the white. It is a classy and easier to maintain color!

Last edited:
Back