paddle shift on CX-5

Any updates on the OEM paddle shift installs?

How dangerous is it removing the air bag???

That seems like the most tricky part.

I wonder why Mazda doesn't make this an option? It does on the 3 and 6 models

Last edited:
Paddle Shift on 2016 CX-5 GT
20069747793_93a4c3b0f4_b_d.jpg

20502138308_d8977ebeaa_b_d.jpg

Does it switches back to auto after some time ot it remains on manual ?
What is the operation logic?

Does it switches back to auto after some time ot it remains on manual ?
What is the operation logic?

It operates like the Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX3 shifters. It goes back into auto mode after stopping, switching the lever to D, or driving for an extended period of time in the same gear.

The programming is the same. It's just the factory chose not to offer the paddle shifters on the CX5 but I read the Canadian CX5s have the paddle shifters as to the Japanese versions.

How was the install? As easy as suggested by the other cars? I'd seen a lot of hypothecate but this is the first time I've come across posts of people who've actually done it.

It's really not that hard. This is a link to the Russian language site I used, and by using Google translator I was able glean enough to figure it out.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/5660413/

This Chinese site is for the CX5 and uses a little different wiring. I'm not sure it is necessary, but this guy bought a kit with what looks like an additional aftermarket wiring harness.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/5660413/

After a month, I'm loving have the option of using the paddles. Definitely worth it IMO.
Would you mind to repost the link for Chinese site as it was actually the same Russian site?

GJS2-66-3P0B - Paddle shift switches w/wire harness and screws. $80.00
GJS2-32-049 - Rear cover for steering wheel. $78.25
GJS2-66-4M2 - Wiring to adapt to non-paddle equipped cars. $21.72
Just received a box of goodies today. Can't wait for the weekend to install them.
Srad600, it seems your part numbers are different from SVShootingStar's. Can you list the parts you're getting?

Sure,

GJS2-66-3P0B - Paddle Switch (came with its own wiring harness, but does not appear to have any screws)
GJS2-32-049 - Rear Cover
BNK8-66-4M2 - Wire (Connectors for the paddles)
BHN9-32-750 - Parts Set, Steering Wheel (small screws for steering wheel)
9YA0-11-003A - Switch Assembly Bolt (Bolt that holds the steering wheel in place)

I may have bought more parts that is necessary, since I've read about conflicting reports of the need for additional wiring harnesses. I'm actually still waiting on one more harness (that I likely won't need), but I figured I'd order it just in case. Once I disassemble the wheel, I don't want to have to go back and do it again because I missed ordering a part.

All these parts were ordered from OEMMazdaparts.com, and the last harness I'm waiting for came from japanparts.com.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a steering wheel with all the hardware on it (mazda 6 or Canadian cx 5) and just plug and play?

Sure,

GJS2-66-3P0B - Paddle Switch (came with its own wiring harness, but does not appear to have any screws)
GJS2-32-049 - Rear Cover
BNK8-66-4M2 - Wire (Connectors for the paddles)
BHN9-32-750 - Parts Set, Steering Wheel (small screws for steering wheel)
9YA0-11-003A - Switch Assembly Bolt (Bolt that holds the steering wheel in place)

I may have bought more parts that is necessary, since I've read about conflicting reports of the need for additional wiring harnesses. I'm actually still waiting on one more harness (that I likely won't need), but I figured I'd order it just in case. Once I disassemble the wheel, I don't want to have to go back and do it again because I missed ordering a part.

All these parts were ordered from OEMMazdaparts.com, and the last harness I'm waiting for came from japanparts.com.
Thanks for listing the parts you've ordered. Is the last harness you ordered from japanparts.com not on the list?

I'm sure you'll be taking some pictures and write a "How-To" for this (especially how to handle the air bag safely part)? :)

Thanks for listing the parts you've ordered. Is the last harness you ordered from japanparts.com not on the list?

I'm sure you'll be taking some pictures and write a "How-To" for this (especially how to handle the air bag safely part)? :)
Correct, the only parts listed above are the parts I've received. I also ordered a "Paddle Shift SW Harness" that does not seem to be on the OEM mazda parts list. Part #K015-V7-481.
As far as a writeup is concerned, I might just do that.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a steering wheel with all the hardware on it (mazda 6 or Canadian cx 5) and just plug and play?
Getting a steering wheel with all the hardware on it such as paddle shifter and air bag would run you thousands of dollars! If you get everything without expensive air bag to save cost which is still not making any sense as you need to disassemble the old wheel to get the air bag. Besides, replacing the whole steering wheel requires a lot more work and may even need a front wheel alignment.

It's $324 for the steering wheel. Adding everything else or getting a used one from a junk yard wouldn't cause $1000's!!!!
You're disassembling the steering wheel anyway you look at it. I'm a little leery of doing a modification by some guy on the internet who did it and hasn't had any ill effects, yet. The idea of plug and play sounds a little more safe and sensible to me.
I think this is a good modification and I would like to try it. However, I'm not going to waste time and money on it only to find out the clockspring gets ruined or a junction box gets over heated and then something catches on fire, etc.
Just food for thought.

Although replacing the steering wheel may be an option (I don't know that the wheels are interchangeable) it is still more expensive than buying the individual parts. Also, the parts I've ordered are interchangeable between models (it's been done). I also know that Mazda supply the parts in an OEM paddle shift kit for the CX-5 in japan (see this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850602-JDM-Accessories ) so I find it very unlikely that this will cause any issues. Also, if plug and play is your concern, all the parts I listed above are Mazda OEM parts bought from an online Mazda dealer.

If you are not comfortable with the modification, I agree you should not do it.

It's $324 for the steering wheel. Adding everything else or getting a used one from a junk yard wouldn't cause $1000's!!!!
You're disassembling the steering wheel anyway you look at it.
Right, you need to disassemble the steering wheel even if you get the whole thing new. So why can you just buy the parts you need for paddle shifter? Everything else would be the same parts anyway. You can check the price for a new air bag and see how expensive it is. You'd not want a used air bag from junkyard.

Would you mind to repost the link for Chinese site as it was actually the same Russian site?

Disregard the Chinese site. It wasn't as good or useful as that Russian website, and it was a "kit" that included factory and aftermarket parts along with some pin work on a connector.

Do you also need GJS2-32-750 paddle switch screw or does the paddle shifters come with those? Anxiously waiting for a full write up so I can make sure I order all the right stuff, everything I need, Nothing I don't

Do you also need GJS2-32-750 paddle switch screw or does the paddle shifters come with those? Anxiously waiting for a full write up so I can make sure I order all the right stuff, everything I need, Nothing I don't

I ordered screws but the paddles came with a set of 4.

I've read all the linked resources in this thread (including the Russian write-up) and the one thing that remains very unclear is how the wiring works. I understand that the BNK8-66-4M2 wiring harness replaces the existing harness in the wheel, and connects all of the steering wheel switches through into the clockspring. What's not clear is what makes BNK8-66-4M2 different from the existing (non-paddle-shifter) harness such that it accommodates the wiring from the shift paddles. The shop diagrams of all the various wiring harnesses look the same, showing three inputs (left-side steering buttons, right-side steering buttons, & horn (?)) and one output to the clockspring. Where does the paddle-shifter wiring fit into this?

Also, it is clear that the BNK8-66-4M2 harness accommodates bluetooth, cruise control & the paddle shifters? I wouldn't want to lose any of the existing steering wheel button functionality by pursuing this mod.

2f40662dd86e53ad81faf195bf3f8453.png

Thanks for any responses.

Back