Opinion on Ground Control Coilovers

i think a lot of people say that they make too much noise. if you don't want that, you have to grease the tophats every 3-4weeks = extra maintainence.

Yes, u 2 are. Um... I have eibach springs now and I hear some sound from the front left (driver side). Possibily a strut going out or something?

Anyways, next dumb question, very dumb question. Do you still use ur struts with coilovers?

i have the ground controls for the mazdaspeed, which i beleive is the same for the protege 5, i absolutely love them,, if installed correctly they are amazing,, handling wise and ride height adjustibility, very very little noise, almost no noise absolutely most of the time, the ride is a little harsher but hey thats what is expected...if you have any other questions let me know

we are 1337 + 1.

if you have full coilovers, you replace your struts and springs. if you have basic coil-sleeves, the sleeves go over your stock struts and replace your springs.

So I take it the Ground Control's are coilover sleeves then? They wrap around ur struts like my eibach's right now then? Who makes the cheapest full coilovers besides crap on ebay and estimate about how much?

i wouldnt get cheap generic parts as far as safety goes, esp suspension.

ive had tein stech springs, gc coil overs, and skunk coil overs. out of all of them, gc has the best ride and skunk has the best drop, but very noisy. no problems with gc, just disappointed with the drop. it can go low, but i would love lower.

GC has been around a long time, so they are a reputable company. You will have to pop the "cap" off of the top of the strut body to get the sleeves on there though.

just got my GC in last weeklend with illuminas. ride is definitely stiffer than stock but the handling is much improved. over bumpy roads and pot holes is where the noise and ride harshness comes in. noise are not really loud but it's there. this was my first time doing any suspension work but i made sure everything was tightened down properly. I don't mind the noise so i think it was worth it.

Can the drop go lower than the Eibach's that I have on there already and can I raise it up so it's close to being stock height for winter? I need new struts and I am thinking about Tokico struts with maybe GC and sell my Eibach's. Good idea or just go with the struts?

The GroundControls are adjustable from .5"-3" See the link in my sig for more specs/details.

I have the GC's on my MSP is I love them. Made a HUGE difference at the track along with a nice alignment. I need to grease them every month or so to keep the tophats quite but that's not a draw back to me as I'm working on the car a lot.

L8R said:
i wouldnt get cheap generic parts as far as safety goes, esp suspension.

ive had tein stech springs, gc coil overs, and skunk coil overs. out of all of them, gc has the best ride and skunk has the best drop, but very noisy. no problems with gc, just disappointed with the drop. it can go low, but i would love lower.

What setup do you have on your car now? I bought the GC coilovers when I first got my car in June of 2001. I have the coilovers on the highest setting possible and my car is still slammed. See my sig for a pic or search for a post I started about my new wheels. I know they changed the setup after I baught mine, but I might be willing to let my set go if the price is right and you wanted to go back to GCs.

i still have my ground controls. no complaints. i just wish it could drop as low as skunk 2's.

peace

Back