Operation Danger Kart build log

It's perfectly good. At least the car will have some form of motor. Car hasn't ran since 12-24-2010. But there will be modifications to the motor, a lot of them. So an unbeating heart is totally worth it at this point.

Finally something to show for my baby.

Yesterday I was delivered to me a donor block and head. 46,000 miles on both picked up from none other than Michele. Now, to decide my power goals and what I really want to do with both the head and motor.

3258_477270032297300_1554322723_n.jpg

Long over due, but a huge update at least. My current ride is a 2006, yeah I may have a bit of a problem, Mazdaspeed6. Back in the world of good money again. And now ready to make this car run again. I have the block and head, and it's been shipped off to make sure everything is in order at a machine shop. I'm contracting BK Industries here in Meridian, Idaho to do all the work for me since I don't have the time to do it myself and am never in town. Stay tuned for HUGE updates on the return of the Danger Kart.

With more time off comes more ability to tackle this. Did a full disassemble on the forged motor today. The guy I bought it from had no clue what the **** was going on, and honestly, I'm surprised the rod bearings were even intact. Here is a cliff notes list of what I found when I cracked the motor all the way open.

1. Silver oil
2. Gorilla tightened head studs that were not seated all the way into the block
3. 10 gallons of red gasket maker sealant
4. Crank bolts hand tight
5. A rod that had a lot of heat on it.
6. Looks like someone was kicking the crank around on the shop floor.
7. The skirts on the pistons appeared to have rubbed the cylinder wall slightly
8. A host of other shoddy workmanship

I'm hoping that a machine shop locally can alleviate some of the problems by massaging some of the s*** back into shape.

10994175_947000968657535_2748328074155893792_n_zpslodx0wci.jpg

I just couldn't let her go. I had crazy offers for just a rolling project, and I turned every offer down because this car means so much to me, and quite a few other people who knew it and remember it in it's prime.

Two blocks, a head, pistons, rods, everything I have to throw at the bottom end is at the machine shop.

Just bought a GT28 turbo for it as well, and I could swear that it was damn near the size of a To4E . Biggest damn GT28 I have ever seen.

Either this place is completely dead, or everyone has moved on from the MSP. I can't catch a damn break in life, but I have a feeling this new job will make things happen. Every paycheck is a new part. I have two good blocks, three good heads. It's time to get it moving again. Hoping to have some sort of mobile car after winter. As for now, it's time to stock pile parts if I can find them. Will update as things happen.

Today was a car wash after 4.5 years of storage and I cut the old rusty steel IC mounting "things" and cleaned up the welds. Tomorrow is fuel tank drop time. Gonna try to find a way to run the fill neck to the trunk for a fuel cell.

These are rare cars to begin with, this place gets more deserted every day. But there is still a decent group of us.

Back