OMG Please someone....

senior

I have a feeling my dealer is not looking in the right direction for my problem and its going to end up costing me a LOT of money. Here's the background.

2007 Speed3, bought it brand new. Lately I've been having all sorts of issues with it. Starting with hard starts, I fire up the car and it almost stalls....only to get itself back together and start acting normal. Add to this a cylinder miss fire code. Took it in, they replaced the coil in cylinder 3 and did a regular tune up. I knew right away the car wasn't completely fixed when I got in it. Still starts rough (depending on how long it's been sitting and when the last time I started it was). If its been sitting over night it seems to start ok, and puff the tiniest black smoke. Then it's all good. Get in it again in an hour, wont get smoke but I have to turn it over too much to get it started....not normal.

Now to this week. Started it and threw another code, P2034. Overboost condition (even though I only started the car). Took it in, they replaced the wastegate soleniod. Checked the vacuum lines etc. Just got a call and they said that it's still not fixed. Next step is to replace the turbo because the wastegate isn't serviceable?? Is this true?

Feel free to chime in if you feel my issues of late have been a part of a bigger problem....I have a feeling they are missing something...but I could be wrong.

And if anyone has any tips on how I can get the turbo replaced under the general powertrain lets hear it. I'm outside my regular warranty. I've been a mazda customer for YEARS. I've bought 2 cars from this dealer and have refered 3 other friends. All in all I've helped them sell 5 cars in the last couple years. This experience it starting to sour my feelings though.

Unfortunately the stock turbo does have a NON serviceable wastegate...but that wouldn't cause a hard to start problem...however I was to take a guess on what the issue with your car would be, I would check the stock BPV 0-Ring and see if its missing or crushed causing a vac leak and also that it's not stuck closed. as for the turbo replacement, I'm assuming your out of the 60k power train already too??

I am out of the bumper to bumper, but within the Powertrain warranty. I'll have to check with the dealer and see if they looked at the BPV. When in WOT I can get the car to hesitate...hard....as if it is cutting boost.

try to borrow a DH, then you can see some params that would help diagnose.

does anyone else see a intermittent fuel pressure issue here?

Just got off the phone with the service manager. I mentioned the BPV, and possible fuel issue. He said he'd have to talk to the tech who worked on it, but STILL see's it being a wastegate issue. He is also waiting to see if mazda canada has any interest in doing this work under the powertrain warranty. Although, he said they have 2 used turbos that were smokers, that he can pull the wastegate off and put it on my car. I'd be willing to go that route if it means a free part. I just have a sneaky feeling the problem is bigger than that.

So, I reset the ECU (disconnected battery). Check engine light cleared (overboost code). Drove around for a while actually, histation at WOT still occuring. Almost as if there is someone hitting the breaks for a split second while acclerating, maybe 2-3 times in a matter of 10 seconds. Check engine light NOT reappearing however. I can drive the car in every gear in boost as long as its not WOT, acts normal. So, approaching this from a different angle, what could cause an this hestiation and hard starts. Maybe the overboost code was a result of one of these just as a side effect, and not the actual problem

^ it wouldn't hurt to inspect and clean it, mine was a little dirty once and after a good cleaning I seemed to idle
a lot smoother. Takes only a few minutes to do, you should always reset the ECU (disconnect battery for a few minutes)
afterwards.

So, I reset the ECU (disconnected battery). Check engine light cleared (overboost code). Drove around for a while actually, histation at WOT still occuring. Almost as if there is someone hitting the breaks for a split second while acclerating, maybe 2-3 times in a matter of 10 seconds. Check engine light NOT reappearing however. I can drive the car in every gear in boost as long as its not WOT, acts normal. So, approaching this from a different angle, what could cause an this hestiation and hard starts. Maybe the overboost code was a result of one of these just as a side effect, and not the actual problem

As I mentioned on the other forum...I could be a broken boost solenoid. Check it & make sure everything is in place.

I'm not an expert. Any clues as to which solenoid is the "boost solenoid". Is it easily accessible? Anyway, check engine appeared a little bit ago when I started the car. I assume at this point its the same code, overboost. I've cleaned the MAF, and have to run out later so I will know again.

Back