Oil Pan - Mental Addiction Motorsports

Agreed; after Mike R posted about the pickup sucking nothing but air unless the inlet screen is fully submerged.

Good times!

SedanMan said:
I have scraped it when backing up out of my driveway when there was a snowbank behind me. It hits the oilpan first and not the crossmember. Its not dinged or anything, but it IS scuffed up.

To me, it just doesnt seem like a very strong material to make such an important part.
Our pan will be 1/8 thick aluminum.This is twice as thick as steel.If you were to puncher our pan, you would have punched a hole in a steel one as well.

soulstylee said:
1/4 inch would have better heat dissapation.
just my 2 cents -- but if you have such a heat problem down there that you have to be concerned weather or not you use 1/4 or 1/8 --- than i think your problem is bigger than just a pan -- lol

i cant wait to see it finished -- no matter the gauge -- :)

Wagner downpipe on a 02 ES Auto

Attachments

• HDM 039.jpg
    HDM 039.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 233
soulstylee said:
How would 1/4 inch aluminum have better heat dissipation then 1/8? For the same amount of material, larger surface area will dissipate heat better then a smaller surface area. So if we are dealing with the same surface area, it is better to have less material, ie thinner aluminum.

soulstylee said:
how do you figure? they would have the same surface area...

*edit* damn, I guess I should of read down some more.. lol

the only thing that thicker aluminum would do better is to transfer heat over its entire surface better... but since aluminum disipates heat just about faster than any common material its not necissary.

but one thing, since the material is thinner then the heat has a shorted distance to go, from inside to outside, and it will transfer heat from the oil better..

and honestly I dont know why anyone is even discussing this... if you stayed stock you'd have a steel oil pan... ANY thickness aluminum would be better

terbow said:
who cares if its paper mache as long as it cures oiling issues lol
I just wanted to know why aluminum was chosen as the material. Apparently heat dissipation and weight reduction were the reasons.

If anyone knows of a company that makes aluminum oil pans for any kind of car, I would like to read about it. I'm not saying its a bad idea, I just have never heard of it and would like to find out more.

yeah.. very common.. they are just usually cast aluminum...

go lok how many aluminum oilpans there are for a small block chevy.,. its staggering

SedanMan said:
I just wanted to know why aluminum was chosen as the material. Apparently heat dissipation and weight reduction were the reasons.

If anyone knows of a company that makes aluminum oil pans for any kind of car, I would like to read about it. I'm not saying its a bad idea, I just have never heard of it and would like to find out more.
Aluminum oil pans are the prefered choice with racers.
There's several companies that manufactor aluminum oil pans.Here is one:
http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/pans/drag/ford_pro_power.html#13784A

Last edited:
When the car isn't running like at a light, is the heat from the exhaust 'L' pipe heating the pan more than the ambiant temperature is cooling it? Exhaust temp is really warm when there is no air circulating aroud it.

I wish I could afford it and I guess a heat shield could solve the exhaust temp problem? Just an idea.

mazda2002 said:
When the car isn't running like at a light, is the heat from the exhaust 'L' pipe heating the pan more than the ambiant temperature is cooling it? Exhaust temp is really warm when there is no air circulating aroud it.

I wish I could afford it and I guess a heat shield could solve the exhaust temp problem? Just an idea.
There's alot more heat in the oil and inside the block than what the exhaust will put off near the pan.

Back