Oil Light ON

MonkeyBone

:
Silver 2007 6 Sport
Oil light came on today. Oil level is OK. Pressure sender was changed this summer. I really don't know what it is, besides a bad oil pump. I hope it's not that. Engine does not make any weird noises, maybe a bit of valvetrain noise but very slight. I started the car and ran it for 1 minute then turn it off. Opened the oil cap, checked inside for oil on cams etc.. There is oil, but not much. I really think it's a bad oil pump...

So first: I will take it to a garage near where i live (like across the street) and make them do an oilpressure test.

2nd: If it is the oil pump, how much does it cost? And it is a 1000$ labor???Is it difficult to change it?

this car was running trouble free for a long time now...this sucks.

My AllDataDIY subscription shows that the pump is $142 and there is about 9 hours of labor that can be charged for the job (ouch!). Altogether you're likely looking at around $1000 for the repair.

Sorry man :(

I hope it's not that...What are the symptoms of a failing oil pump? Apart the check oil light on...There is nothing else! Car runs smooth but I don't want to run it anymore, in case of increasing possible damage..

(hand)

I bought the oil pump on the dealership and I paid 152 dollars if i'm not mistaking. I did the labor if you have the right tools and a little bit of knowledge you can do it yourself.

If the oil pressure drops by the pump, the engine make noise. I really think that the connector on the oil pressure switch is dirty. the tech that changed it makes sense. When you start your engine, there is no-electrical signal and when the engine comes hot, the signal can pass.

If the oil pressure drops by the pump, the engine make noise. I really think that the connector on the oil pressure switch is dirty. the tech that changed it makes sense. When you start your engine, there is no-electrical signal and when the engine comes hot, the signal can pass.

I don't know if the light come off when engine is WARM, because I don't want to run it for too long.

I will check the sensor connector tomorrow.

Give me some news if you can! (trois-rivieres... salut !)

es-tu de t-r? :p

Mchante dbarque de dame nature en fin de semaine, jme suis amus dans grosse neige pesante...p-e que c ca quia faite tripp le fil de mon sensor. jespere c juste ca!

jme croise les doigts!

Sad thing about the protege is, once the light comes on you're almost already ******. It's set to a really low number, 15psi I think. Might have got something in the PRV. Take off the pan, and look up at the pump. There is a spring ball valve that gets stuck sometimes if sediment builds up in there. Stick in something long and pokey and depress the spring and release it a few times. I'm willing to bet that your PRV is stuck open, not allowing the pump to prime on startup. Had it happen with an old pump of mine way back. Worth a try, then you won't have to spend $1000 getting the pump changed. There's not really too much that can go wrong with the oil pump anyway, it will slowly lose pressure over time. Did yours do this for awhile, or just all of a sudden one day?

Last edited:
Sad thing about the protege is, once the light comes on you're almost already ******. It's set to a really low number, 15psi I think. Might have got something in the PRV. Take off the pan, and look up at the pump. There is a spring ball valve that gets stuck sometimes if sediment builds up in there. Stick in something long and pokey and depress the spring and release it a few times. I'm willing to bet that your PRV is stuck open, not allowing the pump to prime on startup. Had it happen with an old pump of mine way back. Worth a try, then you won't have to spend $1000 getting the pump changed. There's not really too much that can go wrong with the oil pump anyway, it will slowly lose pressure over time. Did yours do this for awhile, or just all of a sudden one day?

I agree not much to go wrong. However the OP never mentioned mileage or oil change history. I had an old VW where the pickup screen was clogged due to piss poor oil changes thus createing a sludged up engine!

It happend suddenly today, took the car yersterday and everything was fine.

Oil and filter is chnaged every 5000km. 5w30 castrol mineral. Last change was made about 700 km ago with quaker state syntec 5w30. (tried that for winter, here temps can go down to -35c)

Car is very well maintained, I changed the oil pressure sensor this summer with a "carquest" one..not a genuine piece. It was slightly different from the original one. I remember to had to bend the connector to screw it in place, maybe it broke!

I hope this is my problem! I'll see tomorrow! I will keep you posted!

I read that if the sensor is disconnected, the light will go off....so it's not that! But if it dosen't work properly it should trigger the light on...I'm ******* lost..good night sleep and tomorrow will tell us all!

Wrong. If the sensor is disconnected the light will be on all the time. The fact that it came on suddenly leads me to believe it's the prv valve. Plugged pickup would do the same.

"Wrong. If the sensor is disconnected the light will be on all the time."

The oil pressure sensor/switch controls ground to the light. The contacts are closed with no pressure and the light comes on. With oil pressure the the switch contacts open and the light goes off. Removing the wire from the switch breaks the ground to the light, it will be off regardless of the oil pressure.

Clifton

Last edited:
Wrong. If the sensor is disconnected the light will be on all the time. The fact that it came on suddenly leads me to believe it's the prv valve. Plugged pickup would do the same.

I disconnected mine and the light never came on (dunno)

also rember too oil pressure isnt controled by the pump its controled by the bearings.If the bearings are that far out of spec you will drop oil pressure also.

Car is out of the garage. total bill: 70$

the connector of the pressure sender was broken. and it was not the good one too. so they installed a brand new mazda part! (I stayed with the guy chatting and all while he installed it)

If you disconnect the sender, light will go ON. I saw it with my eyes!

Anyway, good thing is, everything is fine! except i cannot drink my 70$ anymore.

15$ shipping the part, part was 12$ + 1/2h labor = ~33$ + taxes = ~70$

changing it myself in the snow? no thanks. it's minus -15 CELCIUS here.. no garage and all..

drive safe, but drive hard!

Back