Obama makes reference to the "typical white person."

Obama can say whatever he want's. If Clinton keeps making mistakes like this, he will cruise to the nomination:

The funny thing is that although it is the most bold-faced, but probably least substantive lie that Shillary has told the entire race. Her entire premise for being an "experienced" candidate is a lie. The can of worms is officially open...

That is so true... How does being in the White House make you experienced? If I marry a woman who is a pilot, does that mean I get automatic flight hours? I can just see that one...

"The pilot is unconscious and we are going down!"
"Can anyone fly a plane?"
"I have years of experience, let me through!"
"Really? Who did you fly for?"
"My wife was a pilot for 15 years, and I own Microsoft Flight Simulator. We are going to be just fine..."
"Sweet Jesus...."

That is so true... How does being in the White House make you experienced? If I marry a woman who is a pilot, does that mean I get automatic flight hours? I can just see that one...

"The pilot is unconscious and we are going down!"
"Can anyone fly a plane?"
"I have years of experience, let me through!"
"Really? Who did you fly for?"
"My wife was a pilot for 15 years, and I own Microsoft Flight Simulator. We are going to be just fine..."
"Sweet Jesus...."

(rofl)
(rlaugh)

When Obama said
I have brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins, of every race and every hue, scattered across three continents
he wasn't kidding!

His half sister Maya Soetoro-Ng is 50% Indonesian (same mother, different father)and lives in Hawaii. There is an interview with her here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/magazine/20wwln-Q4-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin

Looks like Soetoro is the Indonesian part of the name, since her husband is Konrad Ng. Their daughter is adorable:

http://www.kansasprairie.net/kansasprairieblog/?p=7491

On the father's side it gets, amazingly enough, even more complex.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/opinion/29cohen.html

It seems that Obama's father was a busy man, fathering a total of 8 children. So Obama has (or had, apparently at least one of these half siblings is no longer with us) a grand total of 9 half brothers and sisters. Obama Sr. divorced his first wife, married Obama's mother, divorced her and married another American, returned to Africa, divorced yet again and then re-married his first wife.

And I thought my family was complicated.

One thing is for certain, if Obama is the Democrat's candidate the Republicans will dig up and leak whatever dirt they can about these half sibs. So stay tuned for "Obama's half brother was implicated in goat fighting ring", or whatever it turns out to be. With 9 half-sibs at least one of them must have something embarrassing in their past. There's always something in the family history for the hacks to get their teeth into.

When Obama said

he wasn't kidding!

His half sister Maya Soetoro-Ng is 50% Indonesian (same mother, different father)and lives in Hawaii. There is an interview with her here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/magazine/20wwln-Q4-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin

Looks like Soetoro is the Indonesian part of the name, since her husband is Konrad Ng. Their daughter is adorable:

http://www.kansasprairie.net/kansasprairieblog/?p=7491

On the father's side it gets, amazingly enough, even more complex.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/opinion/29cohen.html

It seems that Obama's father was a busy man, fathering a total of 8 children. So Obama has (or had, apparently at least one of these half siblings is no longer with us) a grand total of 9 half brothers and sisters. Obama Sr. divorced his first wife, married Obama's mother, divorced her and married another American, returned to Africa, divorced yet again and then re-married his first wife.

And I thought my family was complicated.

One thing is for certain, if Obama is the Democrat's candidate the Republicans will dig up and leak whatever dirt they can about these half sibs. So stay tuned for "Obama's half brother was implicated in goat fighting ring", or whatever it turns out to be. With 9 half-sibs at least one of them must have something embarrassing in their past. There's always something in the family history for the hacks to get their teeth into.

Like the Dems aren't fighting dirty already or won't be digging stuff up about McCain. Comes with the territory unfortunately.

My girlfriend is all about death. She is an atheist like me. But she doesn't accept it. I have been trying to convince her she is really agnostic... What should I do?

So back on topic... Obama's ratings are unchanged, and after Hillary's comments about "sniper fire", she has dropped 3%. Interesting... I guess his comments didn't really affect folks who already approved of him.

I think the difference there is that Hillary's Bosnia comment received much more media coverage than Obama's typical white person comment.

That is the point... there really is no such thing, especially if you consider geographical regions. A typical white person from Boston is not going to be the same as one from Louisville. (But probably pretty close on most issues -- just not all.)

That is the point... there really is no such thing, especially if you consider geographical regions. A typical white person from Boston is not going to be the same as one from Louisville. (But probably pretty close on most issues -- just not all.)

If he would have said "average", do you think there would have been an issue?

Yes... With a comment like that, there are few (if any) ways to say it without negative connotations.

I agree, very difficult to say without stepping on somebody's toes. The most neutral form I could think of was

My grandmother, like a lot of white people who, when they see somebody...

"A lot" is vague but not so vague that it makes the sentence completely meaningless. "A lot" sets the size of the group to which he was referring (as many people, by inference, more than one would like to see acting this way) but without implying that the size of that group is anywhere near 50% (yet still true if the number actually was that high). For instance, certainly out of the hundreds of millions of people in this country there are at least a 1000 who are like his grandmother, and a thousand people is "a lot".

Back