Not so bad after-all...

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I am managing around 25mpg combined in my CX5, if I keep my foot out of it, and if I actually make a real effort, 25.5-26mpg. Highway mileage never stacked up to EPA unless I did <65mph. That said, data is out now for the new RAV4's.

0-60 for the hybrid is 7.8 (advertised), and 8.1 for the "regular one". Enough to soundly thrash the 2019 Mazda CX5 in all but turbo trim. That said, I have a 2015 CX5, and those are turning 7.6-7.8 seconds 0-60, so similar performance to Toyota's "performance" model, and I have 8.5" of ground clearance, which is within a tenth of the new RAV4, both of which are significantly more than t he 2019 CX5.

No data yet on handling from Toyota or reviewers.

The AWD RAV4's are advertised at 29, and 27mpg, combined, respectively, varying on trim level, although the hybrid is a beast and gets nearly 40mpg combined.

That said, my 2015 CX5 ain't stacking up too bad with 26mpg combined and faster than even the Hybrid from the RAV line. It kindof makes me happy to see at worst an advertised 3mpg combined drop, with superior performance in exchange, unless we talk about the Hybrid (which is multiple systems vs. my 1 NA motor, so more odds of breaking and more money when both inevitably do).

The newer CX5's? To me, they lose in every way. Perform worse, less clearance, less tech, less mpg, less everything, really. but my 2015? It's still cutting edge in SOME ways, and not down by much at all for having come out 3-4 years ago.

Mazda did the Gen 1 CX5's right. They need to get back to their roots. I won't be trading for a RAV. Partly because the benefits are minimal the way I slice them, and Mazda does have absolute s**** for resale value and my 2015 Touring AWD is only worth $75-9500 because it has 98K miles on it. This does get the award for "Worst resale of any vehicle I've ever owned", from me. That includes my Chrysler with 90K+ miles. At least I'm stuck in something reliable and still doing well by the numbers. I find it ironic that actual data on the RAV4, which will be the leader for this segment, has made me like my CX5 MORE instead of less.

Last edited:
Ive gotten 27.74 mpg in 26,387 miles.
Probably 50-50 city-highway.
Stock 19 Toyos Summer, 17 Blizzak DS-V2s Winter.

I punch it on launch every unimpeded opportunity, using Sport mode occasionally, but use cruise at the speed limit thereafter.

I agree, I wouldn*t trade my 16.5 for a new one, although I*d like to have a Turbo, but even it isn*t worth the trade-off for me. Continue to drive this one till the wheels fall off I guess. Mine has kept it*s value, however, but I did purchase it at a price that covers the first 2+ years of depreciation to begin with, so...

*They don*t build them like they used to...*

0-60 for the hybrid is 7.8 (advertised), and 8.1 for the "regular one". Enough to soundly thrash the 2019 Mazda CX5 in all but turbo trim.

Are we looking at the same data? C&D managed 8.1 sec 0-60mph on their 2017 CX-5 AWD test car, 7.8 sec for FWD. These numbers fall in line with the 2019 RAV4, despite having less power and two fewer gears.

Seriously... there was a lot of detail there... but all I kept reading was, the new CX-5 sucks, Mazda sucks, I like my CX-5.

I honestly hope that made you feel better this morning.

Last edited:
Are we looking at the same data? C&D managed 8.1 sec 0-60mph on their 2017 CX-5 AWD test car, 7.8 sec for FWD. These numbers fall in line with the 2019 RAV4, despite having less power and two fewer gears.

I stand corrected, then. I had thought Mazda published deep into the 8's, and others had managed 8.3ish.

Seriously... there was a lot of detail there... but all I kept reading was, the new CX-5 sucks, Mazda sucks, I like my CX-5.

I honestly hope that made you feel better this morning.

Pretty accurate. The new ones are very "meh", the Gen 1's are still doing pretty well. None of them hold value for s***. Makes me frustrated, that last.

Mazda did the Gen 1 CX5's right. They need to get back to their roots.

I agree. No way in hell I'd give up my 2014 for a Gen 2.

The only thing the Gen 2 has going for it is the style which has been "meh" for some of us, and quite liked by others. There is also the sound deadening. But in the other respects, it is fundamentally worse than the Gen 1. It's slower, it's heavier, it's lower to the ground (I admit, some like that). And for me personally, I think that front end looks dreadful.

and the added features: HUD, Cooled seats, auto liftgate, folding mirrors...
Not many companies have ALL those features. In fact, I think only Hyndai has added a HUD so far.

I agree, I wouldn*t trade my 16.5 for a new one, although I*d like to have a Turbo, but even it isn*t worth the trade-off for me. Continue to drive this one till the wheels fall off I guess. Mine has kept it*s value, however, but I did purchase it at a price that covers the first 2+ years of depreciation to begin with, so...

*They don*t build them like they used to...*

It's only been a few years and it's so true.

and the added features: HUD, Cooled seats, auto liftgate, folding mirrors...
Not many companies have ALL those features. In fact, I think only Hyndai has added a HUD so far.

This is why mazda is such a good value!.
coupled with great driving dynamics...but dang it..bring on that option for Pano..hahaha

I've got an 18 Touring AWD and I'm getting 28 mpg mixed an 30.5 on the highway. I've got no complaints about that. As for pick-up...I hit Sport if I have to pull out into traffic in a hurry. I've owned 5 minivans (4 kids) and only traded one in (on the advice of my mechanic). The rest (and 2 cars) have been donated and towed. I intend to drive my CX-5 into the ground as well.

Lot of reasons not to get new RAV seems..no AA(not a huge deal but annoying for droid users ntl), manual shifting is a joke
(like it is in wife's HL), and they ain't cheap. Yeah the hybrid FE is great but that CVT is the ungift that just keeps on sucking...
not impressed really. If you really need more space than the CX-5 or really want to get mid to high 30s and can tolerate the hybrid/CVT- maybe.
I'll check them out and reserve final but idk nothing here looks overly compelling to me..that 203hp NA engine mated to an 8speed- well it looked
good on paper but seeing/hearing it in action...meh this looks like an easy pass.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-toyota-rav4-suv-drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts1_ih-TMFg

Last edited:
[/B][/I]
It's only been a few years and it's so true.

Its interesting when i find an item like this. Guns are like that a lot. First few years use higher quality materials and then the company cheapens up on alloy, cast vs forged, etc.

Lot of reasons not to get new RAV seems..no AA(not a huge deal but annoying for droid users ntl), manual shifting is a joke
(like it is in wife's HL), and they ain't cheap. Yeah the hybrid FE is great but that CVT is the ungift that just keeps on sucking...
not impressed really. If you really need more space than the CX-5 or really want to get mid to high 30s and can tolerate the hybrid/CVT- maybe.
I'll check them out and reserve final but idk nothing here looks overly compelling to me..that 203hp NA engine mated to an 8speed- well it looked
good on paper but seeing/hearing it in action...meh this looks like an easy pass.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-toyota-rav4-suv-drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts1_ih-TMFg

If i were buying new, id go awd premium 2.5 conventional rav. But im not rushing to dump my gen1 cx5 for it or even upset as i thought id be about the crap trade value. Im keeping it until there is a real reason to trade.

I've got an 18 Touring AWD and I'm getting 28 mpg mixed an 30.5 on the highway. I've got no complaints about that. As for pick-up...I hit Sport if I have to pull out into traffic in a hurry. I've owned 5 minivans (4 kids) and only traded one in (on the advice of my mechanic). The rest (and 2 cars) have been donated and towed. I intend to drive my CX-5 into the ground as well.

I think it would be cool if sport mode actual did something. Open activ exhaust. Lower suspension. Stiffen damping. Something other than "lock out overdrive and make it reluctant to upshift under part throttle". Part kf why im so glad the gen 1 didnt get the dumb thing.

I think it would be cool if sport mode actual did something. Open activ exhaust. Lower suspension. Stiffen damping. Something other than "lock out overdrive and make it reluctant to upshift under part throttle". Part kf why im so glad the gen 1 didnt get the dumb thing.
I think the 16s and 16.5s in Gen 1 had sport mode.

I'm content without it. I have my manual mode which works so well.

On the previous models (<2015) sport mode is automatically activated when you floor it. Added steps to produce rapid results = the big stupid

Are you talking about the kick down switch? I assume that is still present on the newer ones too?

Are you talking about the kick down switch? I assume that is still present on the newer ones too?

It is. Unobtanium's assertion that the kick down switch "activates Sport Mode" on his older CX-5 doesn't make sense in the context of what Sport mode does. It affects part-throttle shift points and throttle mapping. Flooring the gas with/without Sport mode wouldn't make a lick of difference.

I find Sport Mode handy in mountain driving where it maintains more aggressive engine braking going down long grades. Easier to flick a switch than thump the gear lever to M and select a lower gear each time.

Latest posts

Back