Nickel shiftknob, cheezy?

Poseur

Contributor
:
03.5 Lsr Blue P5
Okay, so I was bored at shcool today (Machinist training) and found a spare chunk of aluminum, so I threw it on the lathe, and measured up my shifter. Trying to think of a way to make it more personalized, I grabbed the spray-bluing and here's the stretch. I Figure, Protege5, $.05 Nickel... What you guys think? too cheezy?

At anyrate, enough jabber, pics...
Picture003.jpg

Oh, yea it's a 2003 too, ;)
Picture002.jpg

SIde view.
Picture004.jpg

Pics really don't do it justice, it's a pretty smooth satin finish with machined rings towards the bottom. I like the look, but in use, I think it needs to be bigger. I'm gonna see if I can digup a larger chunk to play with tomorrow.
oh, and YES my car is dirty. *shrug* it gets used what can I say.

Last edited:
Might be possible, I might be getting an Idea of how coins machine soon. My instructer just challanged me to make a 2-headed quarter. Of course that's also a federal offence. Defacing government property or something...

make a 2 headed 1/4 i would just mill a two 1/4's in half then sandwich them together with some kick ass glue or something... its a pain to mill something down that thin evenly but its not a huge pita... (only way i can think of)

oh, yea no shouldn't be a problem really. very light cuts, I'll likely have to make a fixture. think I'm gonna try 2-sided tape first, though if I can get it to sit flat enough.

that would be a unique piece, now you gotta make threads on the inside of it so it would truly be unique.

Thread coin? or knob? The knob IS threaded. actually has a flush washer up underneath it so I don't have to do the weird shiftboot twist game too.

I'm thinking the next version is gonna be a fair amount bigger. This one's 1.500" at the base and top (as big as I could get out of the scrap chunk I found) Works good, fits alright, but I guess I'm just used to my bigass baseball of an '03 shiftknob. Also think I'm gonna try stainless (we'll see how well my cheap metric tap holdsup to that) The extra weight might be good. .

So any thoughts on the nickel? is it a silly attempt at a P5 tie in? I've got no CNC ability as of yet, so I can't do anything like a spiffy flying M.

Not too thrilled with the nickel.
I think if you wanted to make a tie in of some sort use an old buffalo nickel with the indian head or the buffalo side. Then at least it wouldn't look like what everyone has in their pocket. Or, find a japanese coin that has a 5 on it and use that. Foreign coins are cooler because everyone would wonder what it is.

Good work overall though.

Not too thrilled with the nickel.
I think if you wanted to make a tie in of some sort use an old buffalo nickel with the indian head or the buffalo side. Then at least it wouldn't look like what everyone has in their pocket. Or, find a japanese coin that has a 5 on it and use that. Foreign coins are cooler because everyone would wonder what it is.

Good work overall though.

Any possibility you could make me an alluminum knob? Sort of like an S2000 knob except no lettering and a bit bigger like the stock knob?

*L* I was wondering when the requests were gonna start. Playtime between class projects and jobs (the school farms us out) and toolinf and small bikeparts for my friend's company and everything else is kind of hit and miss, so, unfortunately it's kind of unlikely I'll be able to handle requests. Aside from the 2hrs it took me of calling/driving around to find a M10x1.25 tap, This only really took like 4hrs to do. Allthat said, though truely spare time isn't allthat common forme. Prettymuch I generally have a line of sideprojects waiting for a window of free time. I was actually TOLD to "go make a shiftknob or something" today, so I figured hey play it's fun.

Nomad> GOOD call on the japanese coin. scary thing then is I messedup 3 nickels trying to pressfit that thing in. I guess I've taken care of the learning process bynow, butyea. It was short notice and I figured an '03 might be neat. Eitherway, who cares it's something and it's blue! *L* I'm TOTALLY diggin on some foreign coinage now though.

Last edited:
i thought i was the only one that did that. . i have a new york quarter sittin atop of my kartboy knob. . just used some hot glue and its on there. .been like that for about a year now

mill one out and get a center cap off a stock rim to stick in there!

Looks cool, but yea I'm not really feeling the nickel. Possibly the Japanese coin idea might look better. If you want one PM me and I'll see what we have sitting around the house. I go back ever year with my wife and kids to see the in-laws so we always have some coin adn papaer sitting around that isn't worth the effort of converting.

VERY cool, PM sent.

Oh, and yes I've pondered the center cap thing. Guess I should scrounge a junkyard. I REALLY need to find some donor parts to play with anyway (engine related perhaps) I do know forsure that the MSP racing hart ones are a little large, and bulky, but I'd like to do it all the same..

Back