NGK BKR5E-11 Gapping?

I have a 2001 Protege ES 2.0L, Any help is appreciated. I've just bought a set of NGK5E-11 Spark Plugs. Was wondering what is the correct gapping for these plugs? I also bought one of those 99 cents round spark plug gapping tools. I used it to check the 4 new plugs. They are all currently at .038? Does that sound right to you? I've always thought they were suppose to be gapped at .044 right out the box? Isn't .044 the correct gapping for our proteges? Not sure if the tool is accurate or not, but all 4 plugs are set at the same gap (.038). Should I just leave it as is or regap back to .044? Thanks for the help.

Protege__Owner said:
I have a 2001 Protege ES 2.0L, Any help is appreciated. I've just bought a set of NGK5E-11 Spark Plugs. Was wondering what is the correct gapping for these plugs? I also bought one of those 99 cents round spark plug gapping tools. I used it to check the 4 new plugs. They are all currently at .038? Does that sound right to you? I've always thought they were suppose to be gapped at .044 right out the box? Isn't .044 the correct gapping for our proteges? Not sure if the tool is accurate or not, but all 4 plugs are set at the same gap (.038). Should I just leave it as is or regap back to .044? Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I have a 2002 Pro LX - standard gap is 0.040-0.043 in (1.0-1.1 mm). If your within that range it should be ok, being in that range is critical or you risk creating the wrong spark for optimal temperature of the plug. The 5E runs hotter by nature.

mzdalvr said:
Hi,

I have a 2002 Pro LX - standard gap is 0.040-0.043 in (1.0-1.1 mm). If your within that range it should be ok, being in that range is critical or you risk creating the wrong spark for optimal temperature of the plug. The 5E runs hotter by nature.

Thanks for the info, but what I don't really know right now is whether my new plugs are gapped incorrectly or if my gapping tool is off by .006 of an inch. Cause I do believe the new plugs are supposedly pre-gapped at .044 out of the box, but right now all 4 plugs are measuring .038 in.???

Usually all plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, but they don't usually take into consideration the specifications of each car manufacturer. The best advice is to always gap them when you buy them, it takes only a couple of seconds with any gap tool. Thats why Mazda and most european cars allow for the range.

also, just fyi I bought a box of NGK FZG5F-11 today...all were gapped at 0.038 and I had to regap to 0.043 using the little coin thingy...

Protege__Owner said:
Thanks for the info, but what I don't really know right now is whether my new plugs are gapped incorrectly or if my gapping tool is off by .006 of an inch. Cause I do believe the new plugs are supposedly pre-gapped at .044 out of the box, but right now all 4 plugs are measuring .038 in.???

the tool is right. the plugs get banged around and everything in the box. that lil plastic sleeve doesnt stop them from getting hit and the electrode moving. go off the tool. .044 is that they should be at.

Back