New to the Mazda Family

Timmy_03-P5

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
I'm a college student new to the Mazda family, and browsing through the forum, I like where I ended up.

I figured I would throw up my car to see what anybody has to say/any suggestions and to track any progress I might be able to make on my newly acquired '03 Protege 5. I saved up my pennies to move on from the '98 Pontiac Sunfire that I had previously (Still going strong at 212,000 when I sold it, might I add :) )

I just got this car last week and am already in love with it. It handles so much better than that Sunfire and the 5-speed P5 gives me torque that I never had before haha

A few details about the car:
Leather seats, 5-speed, just over 100k miles, rims corroded to no end (pic), broken fog lights (pic), and the PO didn't know a lick about cars and/or car maintenance, so beside the leather interior being clean, the outside was disgusting. There was grime everywhere and the engine bay was and still is caked in grime and dust. I wiped what I could, and when I replace the timing belt and water pump, I plan on shining everything that I can up so everyone knows that somebody finally cares about this car haha. I also put in a 10" Pioneer sub with a 600 watt Sony amp. and a cheap pioneer head unit that I can plugmy phone into.

To do: (plan is before spring rolls around)
I plan on replacing the timing belt before winter (along with plugs and wires), degrease/wipe down/clean engine bay, replace the shifter knob (numbers are worn off) and/or a short shifter, stubby antenna, new rims, fix rust on the driver side, power window mod, and new fog lights.

IMG_0501.jpg
IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg

Open to any comments, thanks :)

Last edited:
I paid 3,700 for the car, but I had to get the small window on the rear passenger door replaced (someone broke into the car the night before I went to go look at it) for $165. So for under 3,900, I think I got a good deal :)

So I finally got some time to actually work on my poor p5... Located this broken front mount last week and when I pulled it out, the whole center fell out of it!!! I also replaced the passenger mount, I have the rear mount, but decided to wait until winter for that one. Now that I replaced the two, I have a weird popping noise on the driver side if I pull off hard from a dead stop: from looking around on here, seems like it could be a loose bolt like anywhere or the transmission mount, Ill start searching for it haha

Then I finally pulled the broken fogs out, maybe this will give me the motivation every time I get in my car to look harder for fogs or deletes!

I also replaced coil packs and did the power window mod (pretty cool), and a couple weeks ago, I did the timing belt, plugs, wires, and alternator.

Today I also put in the short shifter that I bought from a member last week!!! Love it so far!!!

Little extra is that exhaust gasket...last mechanic to work on it did not tighten the bolts and burnt it completely out...new one quiets her right down, explains why it was getting so loud!!!

Now I just need to find me a CAI to throw in, and Ill be well on my way to having this build done!

I want to plastidip the rims black or red in the spring and then try to lower it next summer!!

Still loving the P5!!!!! Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    485 KB · Views: 70
  • photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    542.7 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back