New to the Forum

Ready To Ride

:
protege 5
What's up people, I'm new on this forum, and very excited to be part of it. I just picked up a 02 Protege 5 for $2,000, needs about $1,000 in work, but runs great, and looks nice. I look forward to learning more about this sweet ride, and getting help, and tips to make it look, and ride fresh.

Roy

02Protege5.jpg

$2,000!!! I thought I had a good deal at $5,000. How many miles and what's the $1,000 work you need to do?

Yeah, pretty cheap right? 200,000 on the miles, but the engine is still strong. As far as work goes, front and rear suspension & 1 of the motor mounts. The guy I bought it from guessed it would be around that much. You tell me. I haven't looked into prices yet. Thought I could get some advice from you all on here. Maybe a local willing to help me out? And since I'm going to get new suspension, I figured I'd get something trick. Anything you would recommend?
Twisfm, I bought it this way. IMO, it's a little too low. And it's on a Tien lowering kit. All helps/tips are greatly appreciated.

welcome and good luck a lot of usefull information here... trust me I'm new to and have learned alot.

Welcome to the forum! Nice deal on the P5! Pics of the suspension? If they're coilovers, I'll trade you for my H&R springs/Tokico Blue Strut combo. Not near as low. Doubt that will fly, but I'll try! lol

And you chose the best color!

Thank JC. They are coilovers, and I was told adjustable, so I'm going to raise it a little. If you were in L.A., I might have taken you up on that offer, as long as you did all the work, lol. If something changes where I get new suspension, or want to trade, you'll be the first to know. Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between your set up, and mine? Don't know if I mentioned, not only am I new to the forum, I'm new to P5 and working on them. I work on 2 stroke street bikes, so this is all a bit different.

Well coilovers and regular spring on struts are different in design and obviously in adjustability. I could go into it, but I am tired. lol Pic for reference. Coilover on the left and normal strut on spring to the right. Did the car come with the special wrenches for adjusting the coilovers?

coilovers4.jpg

Got it. I didn't get any wrench, but the guy I bought it from is my neighbor, so I'll have to ask him. I DID find someone to raise it up for 40 bucks. Not a bad deal, I think. A few other places quoted me 60 up to 100, so I'm cool with that. Especially after buying 2 new front tires. I'm not too sure how I should go either. I don't want it to look stock, so maybe 2 inches? How low is yours? Care to share pics?

why pay someone to raise them up. I had these same ones on my old cavalier.. I would change my ride hieght every other day if not every day lol.
Just jack it up, use your wrenches to break the two sleeves free of each other, wrench them up in your case, tighten the second sleeve, count how many threads you are sitting on and repeat the other 3.

Thanks for the info Bafilio. I'm gonna have to give it a try. That's the only way I'm going to learn, and save myself cash, if I ever want to change the ride height again. Now I just gotta find the tool, lol. I'm sure I can just buy one at a local shop, if not Tein is about 15 miles from me.

I doubt that a local shop has it but yeah tien would... or you could see if someone has a set left over on here or another forum. Let me check my basement I think I might have the wrenches still from my cavalier I'll pm you if I do.

Ahh, it only come with the coilovers, got it. That would be greatly appreciated. Id hook you up with some music for helping me out. Actually, ill hook you up anyway, just for offering. I'm a DJ, and have over 800gigs of mp3's I'm sure I have something in my collection you'll like. ;-)

lol appreciate but no worries... I'm not into much music now days.. lol except a little of "The fold" and "Vitamin String Quartet" but those are new discoveries. I'll get back with you by Sunday about those wrenches. I know I kept them but I can't remember if I brought them to this house when we bought it last year. (shrug)

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever say they're not much into music, lol. And VST is great! Have you heard of the Casualties Of Jazz? They cover Black Sabbath's We Sold Our Soul For Rock & Roll. Look them up, they're pretty good. If you find that tool, cool. If not, no worries. I really appreciate you looking for me.

looked all night while I was "cleaning" up the basement and orginazing my tools. Couldn't find it sorry. best of luck with tein though hopefully they aren't much.

Back