New subs woohoo!

Bones526

:
1999 Mazda Protege
I just ordered my Infinity Kappas and my JBL amp, can't wait to get all these cool new toys!

I'll be building my box soon, and i wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether i should use the size recommendations that infinity had (1.0 cu ft sealed, 1.75 ported) or if i should go by whatever WinISD comes up with. WinISD seems to suggest much larger boxes, and i don't know if i have enough room in my trunk. Infinity's volume suggestions included side notes about putting poly-fill in the box, which as i understand is used to make a box perform like it is bigger. Would it be better to just make the box bigger in the first place so that i don't have to use much poly-fill, if any?

Anyway, need info on poly-fill, and also sealed vs. ported. I don't know exactly what i want, but i'm more of an SQ kind of guy, and i'm looking to keep a little space in my trunk, so sealed is seeming better, but let me know what you think, i really need some input.

I have a pair of 12" kappa perfect's in custom 1.0 cu ft sealed boxes. They are as accurate as anything I've heard to date. And will get plenty low enough when needed. You can not go wrong with this type of application.

Go with the sealed option for SQ, definitely.

Keep in mind that WINISD always goes for a "maximally flat" alignment, without really looking at other parameters such as group delay or power handling etc.

If Upstate is using the 1 cu ft sealed box andf they are "doing it" go with that, nothing like experience in the actual car.

So very nearly went with that woofer myself, but local importer dramas made me go with PG Ti's, which I don't regret at all!

Fact is, any good quality woofer in today's market set-up properly will give good results in a good enclosure.

WinISD is good, but too complicated for me. When I finally did figure everything out it suggested a box that was 1.25cu/ft, non-ported for my Kappa 100.1se. I built that box and it sounds TERRIBLE. WAYYYY to big for my sub.

I used a program called BlauBox this time around. This is made by Blaupunkt, but you can enter the information for any sub you want. Worked perfectly and gave me a volumn of .43cu/ft. That is basically the same number as a bunch of websites gave me.

Blaubox will also let you choose the size for the box and then print out plans (measurements and angles), it can do a box, wedge or round boxes.

So far I have built this .43cu/ft box, a .60cu/ft, a 1cu/ft and a 1.25cu/ft(soon to be a ported box). The .43 is PERFECT for my 100.1se, but I am assuming you have a newer Kappa, so it will be different for you.

NOTE: Blaubox is actually a very old program(DOS based), but works perfectly on Windows XP machines.

yeah, i have a 120.3se kappa, and infinity suggests 1.0 cu ft sealed.
WinISD says 1.4, but it doesn't change the graphs on winisd that much between 1.0 and 1.4, so i don't think it'll make a whole lot of difference, but from what u said N1XR, i may go with the 1.0 and use some poly fill maybe.

What kind of difference does poly-fill make niko? and how much did you use with your sub?

Blaubox says .92 cu/ft. The box should be 14x14x11-3/4. Thats what several of the programs out there will give you also based on the numbers. WinISD has always given me weird numbers.

EDIT: Here, I put Blaubox with the numbers already in it on my website. Just make sure you choose the woofer 120.3SE.

s93284125.onlinehome.us/Subbox/Blau.zip

Last edited:
well the dimensions will be a touch off for me b/c i'm making a dual enclosure with two seperate sealed compartments, each compartment will be 1 cu ft now b/c apparently the bigger box performed poorly and WinISD has been screwing around on everybody.

also, my box is going to be 16 inches tall, 36 inches wide, and however deep i need it to be to get 1 cu foot of volume in each chamber of the box.

the idea with building it like that is to leave as much trunk space as i possibly can by filling it up to the roof of the trunk, and all the way out to the sides.

what's the word on poly-fill? if no one thinks i should do otherwise, i'm gonna make a 1.0 cu ft box for each kappa, just like infinity says to do in the instructions. but what will poly-fill do to my sound? and do u think i can get any of it locally or do i need to order it?

pics soon, got both subs for a total of 200, and the amp for like 190, all thats with shipping included.

Latest posts

Back