New Member Introduction

OP are you still running the LMZ headlights? Any additional impressions after more time with them? Visibility in poorer weather (rain etc.)?

I'm still split between the LMZs or going with an HID kit, and came across your review on these. I'm afraid the throw of the LMZs maybe too much behind the HIDs.

UPDATE:
It seems xenondepot also has a new kit, also running the Philips Luxeon MZ LED diodes but rated 2500lm instead 3000lm for the LMZs (non-ultras). Interestingly a no fan design.
http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-LED-headlight-kit-p/h11-led-hl.htm

Last edited:
In short yes... the LMZ (2-emitter version) is an improvement over the Cree 'popsicle sticks'. I would be curious as to how well the no-fan version works as it may be feasible since the aluminum heat sink on mine aren't hot to touch after running them for hours (in traffic). I believe the requirement of that version will be to 'expand' the mesh to maximize the cooling surface area.

I would put the LMZ (2-emitter) at roughly HID (I had TRS Morimoto XB35 before this LED quest) level of performance when using the stock halogen headlight enclosure (less foreground light compared to HID, but decent light spread and throw). The color rendering is better than the Cree as it is whiter and focuses light better. In the rain, the light was definitely more effective than the Cree version and still does provide a good amount of light on the road to see the reflective bumps on the road. Also the color of the light is more visible in inclement weather compared to the Cree.

Last edited:
Thanks! Good to know. I've been going through +100 bulbs from Osram/Philips, and also H9 bulbs in my last couple cars. I'm just tired of the relatively short life span of those high performance halogen bulbs.

Hoping these would be a good upgrade not just in terms of durability but also for lighting performance.

The shows are now on. Advanti Racing HY - Hybris 19x8.5 ET 45 (flow formed) with 245/50/19.
[snip]

Hi there! Tasteful looking ride, congrats! Not a Mazda owner currently, but we're considering the Advanti HY Hybris for our CR-V (read: I came here for your wheels! :)). Wanted to ask your impression of them. Going by listed weight, they're about the same weight in 19" and 20" -- a quarter of a pound at most, if the specs are to be believed, which is amazing if true. Because of this, and the fact that we live in the land of perfect roads, we're heavily leaning toward the 20"ers, which also allows me to get lighter(!) tires -- all in all I expect the package of 20" wheels + summer tires to weigh _at most_ as much as the stockers (which are 17s), which again is amazing, considering I'll be gaining 20mm in tire width per corner.

My main concern is that I've never heard of this company and the price is pretty aggressive, especially considering the [listed] weight -- seems too good to be true. The styling is decent enough, striking a good balance by not being over the top. So now that you've had them for a while, what do you think of them? Any issues? How's the quality? How has the ride changed? I'm going 225->245 width, looks like the stock 17s on the CX-5 are the same 225/65R17 as on our CR-V, what difference has this made? How has it impacted steering? I'm keeping the overall tire diameter the same (and dropping weight) so the only thing that's really changing is contact patch width.

Thanks, keep the classy mods coming!

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments. The manufacturer (Advanti Racing) is owned by YHI, which actually manufactures and distribute wheels for many brands including OZ Racing, Sparco Wheels, Enkei, Breyton, and Yokohama Wheels. The wheels are doing well and have been problem-free (wife did manage to curb them and no problems with balance or vibrations). I did weigh them (with tire) and they are fairly accurate (and light, which was the reason I went with these wheels). Though with a larger wheel, do expect a lower fuel economy even with lightweight wheels due to more rotational mass further away from the hub (but there's usually a tradeoff between form and function [and money]). I can't comment too much about the ride change as I also lowered the vehicle with H&R springs at the same time but there hasn't been any issues with rough ride (went from 17" to 19" with lower profile tires, and lowered via springs). As for getting a wider tire, it definitely grips better (the steering increased in weight during low speed turns) and tracks the road just fine. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply! I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Konig started Advanti, but regardless it looks like they're all owned by a conglomerate now, which can be both good and bad. Interesting that they own Breyton, they make some insane wheels for BMW (my fun car is a current-gen 3-Series manual with sport package), they make one called the Spirit RS which in 20x8.5 size weighs only 16.8 lb.! The downside is that it retails for $1299/wheel.

I'm not so sure the drop in MPG is from wheel weight. Wheel (wheel+tire) weight mostly affects acceleration and handling, for example for acceleration a heavier combo takes longer to get up to speed, but once at speed it maintains its momentum -- unless you have very twitchy driving inputs, the MPG drop is likely due to the increased contact patch width. 20mm extra compared to stock 225 is almost 9%, let's call it 10% for ease of calculation. Now add to that the fact that not all tire compounds are the same, and you may have had Low Rolling Resistance stock tires while your new ones may not be optimized for gas mileage, and you can end up with your difference.

We're doing this upgrade for safety primarily. #1, if you blow a tire, when the car sits that high on tires, it can significantly upset the balance of the vehicle, not only do you lose good traction at the wheel which blew, but the car is sort of tipped over and the diagonally-opposed wheel will have a lighter load. #2, wider contact patch improves rain performance, breaking and traction if you need to execute a panic maneuver. Considering that we'll be going to summer-only tires (and max performance summer, at that), the compound switch alone will make a huge difference, whereas benefits #1 & #2 above can be had with the same exact tire compound.

I've been looking at what cars look like with 245/45R20 and it seems a bit aggressive. This is a family car. Still trying to decide if we can stomach the look. The thing is, going for 19s, I can't find an equally-light wheel and tire choices are worse (both heavier and more expensive, and not my preferred models). This particular wheel is not sold in 19" for the CR-V by TireRack for some reason, I'm not sure if it's an offset issue. I don't want to deal with the whole mess of getting TPMS installed myself so I'd much rather just have TR mount/init TPMS and mount tires and balance the whole thing before shipping so I just throw them on.

My main concern really is durability. Do you have any reservations about the build quality of this wheel and its longevity? We may move to a place with more potholes at some point. Not so much concerned about ride quality as I am about having a wheel crack. We don't drive like maniacs and try to avoid potholes, but I don't want to be at the limit either. How are the roads up by you?

Thanks again! Cheers,
-d

Agreed on the mileage impact mainly due to extra rolling resistance from a larger contact patch and change of tire compound (and rotational inertia has more impact on acceleration and deceleration). Honestly, the build quality is good enough to expect it to last a long time (as long as I would keep the car) as long as there is reasonable side wall protection in a poor road environment (being in the Seattle metropolitan area, there's a good gamut of good and bad roads). Given that it is rotary forged (to a point like forged wheels), it should have a tendency to bend before cracking (as opposed to cast wheels). To note, I have 245/45/20 on my other vehicle (also a CUV) and it's not too aggressive at all ;)

Your wheel game is tight! I have wheels of a similar design on my BMW. We pulled the trigger on the Advantis, in no small part thanks to you -- real happy with how it turned out! Cheers!

p5eGaSW.jpg

Back