New Mazda and 2014 Touring CX-9 owner

I went to the dealer to check out the space in 2nd row with car seats on either side. It is definitely tight, but my wife thinks she will be fine. She really really wants this car and convincing a pregnant woman carrying twins in her 8th month is definitely not easy! So I ended up finalizing the deal - we got a CX-9 Grand Touring with no tech, FWD in white pearl with roof rails(pre-installed) for $29,254

Congrats! I know you were originally considering the Touring model but I think you'll be even happier with the Grand Touring! It sounds like you got an excellent deal.

If you weren't already aware, you can add NAVIGATION (since you didn't get the Tech Pkg with Nav) at any time for around $550. It's the same exact system that comes from the factory and it's very easy to install from what I've heard.

I went to the dealer to check out the space in 2nd row with car seats on either side. It is definitely tight, but my wife thinks she will be fine. She really really wants this car and convincing a pregnant woman carrying twins in her 8th month is definitely not easy! So I ended up finalizing the deal - we got a CX-9 Grand Touring with no tech, FWD in white pearl with roof rails(pre-installed) for $29,254

Do folks on here suggestion getting the prepaid maintenance/service plan? I am getting 5 year/75K plan for $1480 including taxes.

To be fair, there are very few choices out there on the market which would allow an adult to comfortably sit between 2 infant car seats. I hope your wife is petite.

Congrats! Glad you made an informed decision! Pretty much the same model I got, except ours is Meteor Gray. Did you get the black or tan interior?

Mine is a 4-year lease, so I got the 4-yr maintenance plan for $995. They initially offered it at around $1300 or $1400, and when I balked at that price, she asked if I was a Costco member and because I was said she could sell it for the $995 price.

We got tan interior, we definitely did not want black interior!

They originally quoted $1795 and after Costco and Credit union discount is came down to $1500(including sales tax, which is 8.75% in bay area). Since I can cancel it anytime, I went ahead and got the maintenance plan. Time will tell if it is a wise decision :) I am still tempted to go to a local mechanic for servicing, but one of the guys at the dealership told me that the mazda engine is complex and a non-trained mechanic can mess it up at times. Not sure if that was just part of the sales pitch though....

Congrats! I know you were originally considering the Touring model but I think you'll be even happier with the Grand Touring! It sounds like you got an excellent deal.

If you weren't already aware, you can add NAVIGATION (since you didn't get the Tech Pkg with Nav) at any time for around $550. It's the same exact system that comes from the factory and it's very easy to install from what I've heard.

Thanks! I still need to update the other thread and bring closure to it :) At this point, we plan to just our phones for navigation, but that's a great tip! Is it beneficilal to add navigation in the age of smart phones?

To be fair, there are very few choices out there on the market which would allow an adult to comfortably sit between 2 infant car seats. I hope your wife is petite.

In the SUV market, yes! Minivan was not an option for us, so we will just deal with the cramped 2nd second row. My wife has an average build, we will know in a month how comfortable she is in a month when the babies are here. I will update the thread then for anyone else who might be interested in this info in future.

Thanks! I still need to update the other thread and bring closure to it :) At this point, we plan to just our phones for navigation, but that's a great tip! Is it beneficilal to add navigation in the age of smart phones?

It really depends on the quality of the Navigation app on your phone and how often you use it. When I bought my 2012 CX-9, I specifically avoided Navigation because it was horribly outdated and overpriced (dated back to 2006 and cost $1665)! But the Bose/Moonroof/SiriusXM Pkg was available separately and I did want it. For 2013, they updated the audio interface for all CX-9s to the touch screen and a new Tom-Tom-based Navigation system on models with Nav. They also grouped Navigation with the Moonroof, Bose and Sat radio in the Tech Pkg, probably because it priced so much lower now.

Anyway, if you ever want to add the NAV, here's a link- CX-9 NAV

The Rear Cargo Tray is another CX-9 accessory that I consider ESSENTIAL- CARGO TRAY

And finally, the WeatherTech FloorLiners are a MUST HAVE, especially with kids on the way- FloorLiners

Anyway, if you ever want to add the NAV, here's a link- CX-9 NAV

The Rear Cargo Tray is another CX-9 accessory that I consider ESSENTIAL- CARGO TRAY

And finally, the WeatherTech FloorLiners are a MUST HAVE, especially with kids on the way- FloorLiners

Awesome, thank you so much for the links! You saved me a lot of time and trouble searching through forum posts to find these! I really appreciate it :) I think I am going to order the rear cargo tray and WeatherTech FloorLiners! I am also tempted to get the rear metal bumper guard :) And the dealer gave us the cargo net for free, I think because we got him a dozen cupcakes!

Any other accessories that might be useful?

Awesome, thank you so much for the links! You saved me a lot of time and trouble searching through forum posts to find these! I really appreciate it :) I think I am going to order the rear cargo tray and WeatherTech FloorLiners! I am also tempted to get the rear metal bumper guard :) And the dealer gave us the cargo net for free, I think because we got him a dozen cupcakes!

Any other accessories that might be useful?

Glad I could help! If you haven't noticed in my signature below, I have the Stainless Steel Rear Bumper Guard on my CX-9 and Mazda6- it looks GREAT! Here's the LINK

I also have the Front and Rear Splash Guards on my CX-9. They are much smaller than most "mud flaps" you see on SUVs and trucks and they integrate perfectly into the black lower trim. They do a pretty good job of keeping mud from being splashed all over the car. A few months ago, I ran into a road crew resurfacing the highway and had to drive through hot, wet tar and the splash guards caught almost all of it and kept it off the paint! FRONT and REAR

And the only other thing that I added is the brushed aluminum CX-9 tag frame- LINK

All of the link I've posted for Mazda Accessories are from mazdaparts.org which is actually a discount parts site operated by MedCenter Mazda in Pelham (Birmingham), Alabama. They always have great pricing, fast shipping and good customer service if you have any questions or problems. There are other sites that may have a couple of items for a few bucks less, but all of them add substantial shipping charges to their orders. Mazdaparts.org ships all orders over $100 for FREE and they have always shipped within 24 hours of every order I've placed! I've been using them for accessories and parts for almost nine years and they've always made me happy! =)

Actually, I almost forgot about this....In the first few months after I bought my CX-9, I managed to ding the paint on the driver's side door edge because the doors tend to open very wide. At that point, I added the Clear Protection Film Door Edge Guards. They're invisible to the naked eye but prevent those nasty door edge paint nicks. For some reason, Mazdaparts.org doesn't have them listed, but they do carry them because I bought mine from them. I just had to email them to get a price and order them. The part number is 0000-8W-N61 and the list price for the set of 4 is $54.95. Here's a link to the page where you can see them on Mazda's website- LINK

Glad I could help! If you haven't noticed in my signature below, I have the Stainless Steel Rear Bumper Guard on my CX-9 and Mazda6- it looks GREAT! Here's the LINK

I also have the Front and Rear Splash Guards on my CX-9. They are much smaller than most "mud flaps" you see on SUVs and trucks and they integrate perfectly into the black lower trim. They do a pretty good job of keeping mud from being splashed all over the car. A few months ago, I ran into a road crew resurfacing the highway and had to drive through hot, wet tar and the splash guards caught almost all of it and kept it off the paint! FRONT and REAR

And the only other thing that I added is the brushed aluminum CX-9 tag frame- LINK

All of the link I've posted for Mazda Accessories are from mazdaparts.org which is actually a discount parts site operated by MedCenter Mazda in Pelham (Birmingham), Alabama. They always have great pricing, fast shipping and good customer service if you have any questions or problems. There are other sites that may have a couple of items for a few bucks less, but all of them add substantial shipping charges to their orders. Mazdaparts.org ships all orders over $100 for FREE and they have always shipped within 24 hours of every order I've placed! I've been using them for accessories and parts for almost nine years and they've always made me happy! =)

Actually, I almost forgot about this....In the first few months after I bought my CX-9, I managed to ding the paint on the driver's side door edge because the doors tend to open very wide. At that point, I added the Clear Protection Film Door Edge Guards. They're invisible to the naked eye but prevent those nasty door edge paint nicks. For some reason, Mazdaparts.org doesn't have them listed, but they do carry them because I bought mine from them. I just had to email them to get a price and order them. The part number is 0000-8W-N61 and the list price for the set of 4 is $54.95. Here's a link to the page where you can see them on Mazda's website- LINK

You are awesome!! Thank you so much for all the details and links, I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it! Can I install all these accessories by myself or do I need to go a dealer/mechanic to get them fitted? I will definitely get the Clear Protection Door Guards and still thinking if I should get the Splash guards. Does mazdaparts.org offer any discount if I end up buying 4-5 accessories together?

Back