My TTD build thread

Hello! I hope your season is doing well. I need to ask. Are you happy with the XP12's? I have only got one track day and one race and I don't think there is much left. I will be calling Jr. Tomorrow to see if I can get the XP 20's or 16's because their 12's cracked and feel super super spongy. On top of that I use OEM rotors and count on that slit in the middle of the pad for gas venting. Just looking for some advise as you are my only guide to racing this sweet ride.

I use XP10s and get 3-4 weekends out of the fronts and at least 8 weekends out of the AX6's I use in the rear. I've never had an issue with a set of them. Definitely worth giving them a call to see what they say. I just use Advance Autoparts rotors, too.

Sorry, faulty memory. I did switch to XP12s last year and they are still on the car. I used XP10s before that.
My car weighs around 2350 alone. I have tried several different configurations that range from 2625 to 2770 with me and ballast in the car.

Well after having my brakes fail on me at Grattan, I replaced my master cylinder and everything is back to normal. Looking forward to MidOhio this weekend.

460962_3187768422997_161058392_o.jpg

My MSP will be for sale after nationals next week. If anyone is interested in a track car that has a history of being consistently at the front of its class and has been extremely reliable as a track car, this is the car for you. It is a 3 time TT national championship winner (hoping to make it 4) and holds multiple track records. I also have a few different sets of springs so the car can also be dialed back in terms of oversteer so it will be reasonable for a beginner as well as an experienced driver.
I want to go road racing and I can't bear the thought of banging this car all up. Asking $5800 for the car as it sits. It will have 2 sets wheels with Hoosier A6's that are new for nationals.
Details of the build can be found in this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...D-build-thread or at www.breesmotorsports.com
Parts list here: http://www.breesmotorsports.com/Modifications.html

What a roller coaster of a weekend at the NASA National Championships. Everything started out nicely with a good warm-up and first session putting me in the lead. But then I lost my phone which separated me from the world. Things took another turn for the worse when my brakes went away while out on track. It turned out to be a broken hub which also took out the end of my axle. I was able to o...rder a regular protg axle for the next morning, but I had to go to a junkyard and take a knuckle and hub assembly off a car and then assemble everything onto my car. That was finished just in time to make it to grid and get back out on track for the last session on Saturday. My relief was short lived though because I had a vibration/grinding so I had to come in after the warm up lap. The noise turned out to be from the new axle which was a little too long. To make it work, I dialed out all of the camber from the left front to give the axle more room. That got the car ready for the two Sunday runs which I was going to need because the second and third place cars were getting faster. We were the first cars on track for the first session, so the track was pretty slippery but it gave me a chance to test the car and it was working well with just a little bit of vibration from the axle with the suspension compressed in hard right hand corners. It all came down to the last session when the track was as good as Ive ever felt it. I wound up setting a new track record with a time of 1:38.9 which is almost a second faster than the record I set last year. (Second place was a 1:39.3 and Third place was a 1:40.1.) Then it was celebration time!

Nice work, Bill! Sounds like a rough weekend, but everything worked out. It's too bad you couldn't have more track time.

Nice work, Bill! Sounds like a rough weekend, but everything worked out. It's too bad you couldn't have more track time.

Honestly, those are the best, most memorable weekends. At my 1st SCCA Pro-Solo, we had a ball joint break on my car (car had 4 drivers... so no pressure) on the last run on Saturday. Well... it broke much earlier, we just couldn't figure out WHAT had broken, but it finally let go on the last run. Had to source a ball joint for a 1992 Miata on a Saturday at 5:00 to get back in the game for the next day's competition. We did find one, replaced it in the event site paddock at about 10:30 at night by headlight from a couple cars strategically parked and a headlamp, and swapped the good tires to the set of wheels that didn't have a wheel with a huge groove machined into it such that was no longer holding air lol. Still one of my favorite autocross weekends, and our finishing results were FAR less optimal than Bills were. I'd say it went pretty damn well and now he's got a story to tell :)

Hey where were all the other cars??? (poke)

I kid I kid. Great job man! That car has way more over steer than I could ever handle. You got some great skillz man! Now if you want to get ride of that axle......

Here is what you can look forward too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/88yveFk1Fso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

well maybe not, I'm not that great of a driver.

Last edited:
Back