My P5, just washed and with painted calipers, and a few pics of the painting proscess

bjdesire

here ya go

102-0225_img.jpg

102-0226_img.jpg

102-0227_img.jpg

102-0228_img.jpg

102-0229_img.jpg

102-0234_img.jpg

102-0236_img.jpg

102-0241_img.jpg

102-0244_img.jpg

i cleaned everyhting, the washed pics are a day after i painted the calipers, i let them dry overnight and then i took pics the next day. also, who likes the custom liscense plate job, lol

DarK_anGel1412 said:
i cleaned everyhting, the washed pics are a day after i painted the calipers, i let them dry overnight and then i took pics the next day. also, who likes the custom liscense plate job, lol

I DO! i wonder if that is legal in TX

i duno, i live in NY and i have had it like that for over a month now and no one has said anything, knock on wood

(spank)Sorry, bro. I can't say that's a good job.
Paint on the rotors?
Is that paint on thr RIM?
Did you throw your rim down spokes-first?... It looks like it got scratched.
Where's the love?

I don't mean to be a dick, but geez...
(hand)

looks nice, but yeah paint on the rotor makes the job look messy.

I was thinking of doing that to my liscence too looks good. anyone know the legalities of that kinda of stuff (esp in cali) ?

A little sloopy, but after a while I'm pretty sure the paint will be off the rotors.

Ok, now, I'm not colorblind and it might just be the pics, but is that orange paint?? I know I've seen plenty of yellow cars with red calipers, but thinking about it, orange wouldn't look that bad.

I'm still doing mine in yellow though:D

What type of paint did you use, a kit or just any ol' high temp paint?

They have paint kits for like $40 where you can brush the paint on instead of spraying it. I think thats what DarkAngel did because you can see that the paint dripped on his rotors.

SpicyOrange calipers on a VividYellow P5. Interesting combo.

My guess is that the plate is illegal, but there are licence plate frames that cover just as much so I don't know. Let us know if you get pulled over.

the plate just looks like an invitaion for the cops to pull you over here in so-cal. tinted windows and no front plates seem to be only allowed on officers personal cars around here. hipocritical double standards! sorry, just venting.

very illegal.. california has the stricktest front plate laws.. plate has to be affixed to the front bumper at a certain height.. so even with a lowered car if the cop really wanted to be an ass he could nab u for that (i have never seen it happen just been told about it) in my 91 accord i had my front plate on the grill and i got a ticket.. so i put it in the window with suction cups.. one cops signed it off and a week later i got another ticket .. so back to the bumper it went.

Hate to say it and not trying to be mean but come one, Spray or brush on paint you did a pretty sloppy job. Not trying to insult you cause the end product looks decent but it could have been soooo much better. It took me an entire day to get the calipers done on my old corrado.

1st tape everything off. Yes I mean rotor and fender well.
Apply brake cleaner and dry thoroughly
Apply paint in several coats. Don't try and make it look good on your first coat.
If you get a drip then you are spraying too close to the caliper. When you are satisfied with the color and quality I suggestsome gloss Clear engine paint. I put 6 coats on my calipers and wet sanded a few of them. They came out perfect. BTW these were not stock Calipers. I had those painted red but I actually painted my brembo calipers. So I didn't want to take chances getting any unwanted areas painted on those bad boys.

Hey just my opinion. If you are going to do it then take the time and do it right . Don't rig it just to get by.

not to be a dick, but i did do everyhting right, and every other roter came out perfect thats the first one id id. i cleaned them all with brake cleaner, then i wetsanded them with 600 grit sandpaper. after that i paitned 6 coats on each one with hi temp engine paint. the first one i didnt tape anything off so it looked bad, it looks fine now, all the others were properly taped and s***. also my rim sint scratched, that was dirt, i just went outside and checked it. after i was done, if u look at the pics after i washed my car i went back and removed all the excess paint with a razorblade scraping it off the rotor and s***.

DarkAngel,
Hey, you did good and it's your car, you can do what you want with it. But What color was that by the way? And did you buy a kit? If so where and how much was it. Please let me know.

Just as a suggestion, I also saw somewhere somebody also painted the rotor edges a silver/gray color to get rid of the edges rust. Will you be doing that too?

Regarding the license plate, my guess is that if it is shortened, as it looks, that may attract more unwanted attention than if it was missing. Some states around do not require front plates, but that is obviously a modified (defaced?) NY plate. Think carefully about the ticket cost (and Mt. Pleasant cops are known for being vigilant!). Re. the calipers - if the paint holds and is glossy, it'll look fine to most people.

Dark angel. Like I said wasn't trying to down you or anything was just trying to give helpful criticism. And besides was just going from the pic you posted. BTW was that orange or was it the HIGHTEMP red. I used that before and it came out kinda orange looking. Needless to say I re-did - those.

I live in California and have been driving without front plates for years, first on my Nissan Sentra, and now on my MP5. Cops rarely notice it.

Thats why I love GA. No front plates required. Well...I dont REALLY love GA, just the no front plate law. Also, its cool because for those BMW/Mercedes/Porsche owners who go to Germany to pick up their car and drive it around Euripe for two weeks they get plates attached and almost all of them (including military) leave their front plate on. THere are also allot of retail kiosks here at our malls that have sell really good replicas. I think that its time we adopt the European shaped tags. As usually, we just have to be different.

Back