My Dream: Beating a Mustang GT

amen, brotha !!!!!!!
well modded stangs with a good driver are outta our league.
some guys put on flowmasters to give it some sound, but they ain't really tryin' to run.
i still say - i you get the right stang, he will walk you like you've you've never been walked:D

on my 86 gt i run an ATI PROCHARGER with 16lbs of boost.
it was my daily driver before the MSP.
even though i haven't touched the SPEED yet, i know going in it won't touch that car.
the ford is crude, loud, and it handles like a pig. yet, it runs like a raped ape.
once again, beware of saleens, steedas,or seah hyland mustangs. you will get your asses handled to you !!!!!!!!!

blubyu21117 said:
i agree with some of the guys here. most mustang owners simply don't know how to drive 'em. they will spin like crazy, and some folks like that idea. they think that shows they have power.
and it does, i guess.

as a mustang and MSP owner, i can say that no matter how many mods i throw at my MSP, IT WOULD NEVER , EVER, whip my mustang.

there are some stangs out there that can be had, but beware, there are some true import killers lurkin' out there somewhere.

That is a bold statement to make- I hope your stang runs 9's :).. Not that anyone has gone that far with an MSP yet, but there are plenty of 600+ hp turbo 4 cylinder imports racing out there :).. It is only a matter of time. My camaro ran 10's and I would never say "never"- that is just too steep of a claim... It can be done, I just don't think anyone in the "know" is showing enough interest in the MSP's to do so.

Just curious though- what is done to your stang?
Joe

kwiktsi said:
That is a bold statement to make- I hope your stang runs 9's :).. Not that anyone has gone that far with an MSP yet, but there are plenty of 600+ hp turbo 4 cylinder imports racing out there :).. It is only a matter of time. My camaro ran 10's and I would never say "never"- that is just too steep of a claim... It can be done, I just don't think anyone in the "know" is showing enough interest in the MSP's to do so.

Just curious though- what is done to your stang?
Joe

Just saw you have a pro charged 86- cool- that is my favorite style.. Oh- if you guys think high 13's is quick, it is easily just minor tweaks for the MSP. Oh- and tires too :). There are a handful of guys running 103+ MPH with MINOR mods (MBC, exhaust, CAI, etc.). High 13's isn't "fast" by any means now a days :). Again- the STOCK stangs are pathetically slow (except the s/c Cobras and the older cobras/Mach 1 are so-so) and are very easy prey. I can't believe that with the LS1 GM's, Ford would offer this is competition... I am not speaking ingnorantly- I own an 03 and I have plenty of friends that have them.. My MSP beat them all when I had it :). Actually, the only one that beat me runs 13.8 or so, but from a 2nd gear roll, I took him by about a car and a half :).
Joe

right now the ford is runnin' 390 cubes stroked, edelbrock victor heads w/ 2.15/ 1.625 valves, je pistons, oliver rods, steel crank with 3.9 inch throws, and a custom comps cam roller with 8.5 compression.
i still use mass air, but it's controlled by FRP's EPEC.

blubyu21117 said:
right now the ford is runnin' 390 cubes stroked, edelbrock victor heads w/ 2.15/ 1.625 valves, je pistons, oliver rods, steel crank with 3.9 inch throws, and a custom comps cam roller with 8.5 compression.
i still use mass air, but it's controlled by FRP's EPEC.

Nice. I really like that style (85-86) and always wanted to build one with a TT setup :).. What's the car run @16 psi? I just sold my 94 Z that had a 396 stroker in it- ran 11.1@127 (126.8 :) ) with a 2.0 60' with a 150 shot :).. Easy 10.7 run if it hooked!!!
Joe
Joe

mspeedpro said:
how much did ur friend get his mach1 for?? around here they were only getting a few and were gonna auction them off, which i assume means they went for quite a bit

If I remember what he said correctly, it was right under $30K. Something like $29,500 out the door. I also remember him saying that he had every available option other than the Automatic transmission.

fastdrvr23 said:
If I remember what he said correctly, it was right under $30K. Something like $29,500 out the door. I also remember him saying that he had every available option other than the Automatic transmission.

They are going around $30K + TTT around here. They are about the same price as my convertible- that's the only reason I remember :). Nice cars though and with the dohc motor, can make some nice power :).
Joe

WELL, with 28'' slicks and 3.27 gears, the best i've gotte is 11.374@124.69
i dump the clutch @ 4100 rpm, it bogs then rips off.
my 60' was 1.694.
i know i could get better time with but for the most part i was satified, it was my daily driver afterall.

see my sig.... on a budget thats gonna be about what you need to "hang" with one. As far as beat it depends..... ive beaten 2 gt's but not sure if they were automatics or manuals.

Pkay said:
see my sig.... on a budget thats gonna be about what you need to "hang" with one. As far as beat it depends..... ive beaten 2 gt's but not sure if they were automatics or manuals.

It can be done without all the cosmetic stuff for those who are looking to this thread for mods :). It will take boost, FCD, possibly an FPR (I would never drive another MSP without one after seeing the difference in pull on all three cars I have personally worked on), K&N drop in (Injen if you want to spend the $$$, but it isn't worth it IMHO) and I had a gutted cat on mine at the time of my first Mustang whooping :).. With full exhaust, hardpipes (no real power gain, but they won't pop either :)) boost, FCD and FPR you will hand a stock GT it's ass if you can drive half decent- if you can't drive- go from a roll : and pull away from them- they always love it when you do that :D....
Joe

wasnt talkin bout the "cosmetic" stuff.... was more so saying mbc, some type of diff intake, boost gauge (for safety of course), diff exhaust, and a couple other minor things and you could def hang with a mustang (but not always beat one).

Pkay said:
wasnt talkin bout the "cosmetic" stuff.... was more so saying mbc, some type of diff intake, boost gauge (for safety of course), diff exhaust, and a couple other minor things and you could def hang with a mustang (but not always beat one).

I know you weren't- I just didn't want some newb running out and buying ground wires (help, but real world gains are minimal), hoses and an Injen and going Mustang hunting :).

Good call on the gauge- I tend to leave it out assuming it is a common sense item, but then again if I am worried someone would do just hoses and try to race a mustang, I should assume common sense is lacking :).. At 10 psi, a Mustang shouldn't be a problem to pull from assuming it isn't modded. If it has exhaust and such, it is a 50/50 shot- but throw in some 116 and up it to 16 psi then :)..
Joe

yeah... finding more and more also that if you do some minimal preventitive maintenance (plugs namely) boosting above stock with the flash isnt as deadly as we once feared. Flash plus boost could easily give you a nice chunk of HP/TQ

When the rx7 roasted its second turbo (also causing the first one to act funny) I could hang with it somewhat.... which doesnt sound like much but a car thats dyno'd 295hp with a flakey turbo is still a fairly fast car :)

I'm really anxious to see what my car dyno's at now.... thats kind of my measuring stick to see who I try and run against and I'm guessing that's what most people should do before they simply go around trying to take every mustang. See what your car is on paper as your number crunching in your head might not be what your car is truely cranking out.

Depends on the year

If you want to "beat a Mustang" find someone with a 96-98 GT with an automatic. Those things ran high 15's out of the box, then again you can find 2003 Cobras with less than $2000 work done that run high 11's!

Pkay said:
yeah... finding more and more also that if you do some minimal preventitive maintenance (plugs namely) boosting above stock with the flash isnt as deadly as we once feared. Flash plus boost could easily give you a nice chunk of HP/TQ

When the rx7 roasted its second turbo (also causing the first one to act funny) I could hang with it somewhat.... which doesnt sound like much but a car thats dyno'd 295hp with a flakey turbo is still a fairly fast car :)

I'm really anxious to see what my car dyno's at now.... thats kind of my measuring stick to see who I try and run against and I'm guessing that's what most people should do before they simply go around trying to take every mustang. See what your car is on paper as your number crunching in your head might not be what your car is truely cranking out.

I'm not big on dyno #'s unless it is being used for tuning. I have always been a seat of the pants/track type. Dynos are good for bragging rights, but they don't equal speed. My friends Malibu put over 900 to the wheels, he made some changes, the car went 3/10 quicker and put down like 80 hp less on the dyno. Besides- there are so many variables to consider also- which is why there are so many differences in MSP stock hp readings and such.
Joe

kwiktsi said:
I'm not big on dyno #'s unless it is being used for tuning. I have always been a seat of the pants/track type. Dynos are good for bragging rights, but they don't equal speed. My friends Malibu put over 900 to the wheels, he made some changes, the car went 3/10 quicker and put down like 80 hp less on the dyno. Besides- there are so many variables to consider also- which is why there are so many differences in MSP stock hp readings and such.
Joe

Right but our cars arent gonna give off an 80hp difference as we arent that powerful to begin with. I dyno'd 182 at the wheels (prior to upping boost a bit more, hard pipes and a few other things) and its been fairly accurate in letting me know what league I'm in per say.

Of course nothing beats a track test to see the big picture but thats gotta wait til april :(

Pkay said:
Right but our cars arent gonna give off an 80hp difference as we arent that powerful to begin with. I dyno'd 182 at the wheels (prior to upping boost a bit more, hard pipes and a few other things) and its been fairly accurate in letting me know what league I'm in per say.

Of course nothing beats a track test to see the big picture but thats gotta wait til april :(

True- 80 hp loss on an MSP and the alternator draw would probably kill it :). What was your boost for the 182 hp pull- probably about 9-10 or so??
Joe

on the 3 runs I did I ran it differently.... ran right around 9-9.25 psi (i still dont have my numbers exact on the blitz tt ---> psi conversion hehe) on the run that got 182.

i really want to mod my MSP, i really do.
my problem is that it's been to the dealer so many times for warranty work that i'm scared to touch it. i fear they may call me out on it.
i'm dyin' to boost it.

Back