My 2004 Mazda3 has been nothing but problems. How I got $500 from Mazda

JDM_Pro5

:
2002 Proteg5
I have a white, 2004 Mazda3. This is the 4-door sedan, 5-speed, 2.3L with the BOSE/Sun roof package. My car must have been one of the first produced because It doesn't have the 2.3 logo on the doors, yet I know for a fact that this car is the 2.3L. I bought this car used in 2007 with around 73k miles on it. I paid around $10k and I was really happy with it. As of now it sits in my driveway and I put maybe 2k miles on it a year.

This car has been nothing but problems. Sensors, stuck fuel injectors, carbon build-up in my intake manifold,............

I'll jump ahead to how I got money from Mazda for all you folks interested, and then complain about my main problems to anyone willing to listen and help.

I had the final straw last year when my CD player went out. This car was only 6 years old and it had the factory BOSE sound system with the 6-disk CD changer. About 1 month prior to the CD changer crapping out, the ambient air sensor showed up on my CD screen. I don not have the leather/advanced AC package so The right side of my screen is blank. It tries to show the air temp outside, since I do not have the gauge on the car it displayed AMB---. I had just finished listening to CD 6 when the changer began to rotate back around to CD 1. IT STOPPED. The screen shows CD and nothing else. From the point on, I could listen to radio or whatever, but when I went to CD, it shows CD and nothing else...nothing moved. I was furious and went to the dealer. BOB KING MAZDA, our local dealer is full of cheapskates and scum. They have been nothing but trouble. They said it would be about $500 for a used CD changer. I called Mazda and got a hold of a woman and then proceeded to chew her out. I was furious that a car with less that 100k miles and less than 10 years old had a bad CD changer, yet my 1990 Jeep could play cassettes all day long. She asked how much the dealer priced my CD player at and I said around $500 dollars. There was no hesitation from her or in her voice, and she said, "We will send you a $500 Mazda gift card that can be used and redeemed at any Mazda dealer." I about crapped my pants. I thanked the lady, apologized for my tone, and gave her all of my information for the the card to be sent to my house. I went to the dealership with my gift card in hand. The $500 covered the CD changer. I paid $35 for tax, shipping was free, and I paid $100 for them to install it.

I don't know how often Mazda dishes these bad boys out, I do know the card said the amount can not exceed $500, but if you have a serious problem that clearly isn't your fault, there is a chance you can get one of these.

Now for my car troubles :(

I have one major mechanical issue which is why I rarely drive it. This may be a common problem with a common fix. It all started with fueling up. After getting gas, my car would stall out. It was take forever to crank and then it would act weird, low idle, etc. Before long it was getting worse and killing my gas mileage. I took my car to the dealer and they said one of my fuel injectors was coated in carbon and stuck open. I allowed them to replaced the fuel injector and then paid the total sum of ONE MILLION DOLLARS (*pinky at my mouth). I picked my car up and then proceeded to stall out in the dealership parking lot. It was worse than ever before. They explained it wasn't their doing, but that the fuel lines were gunked up, there was carbon build-up in the intake manifold, and that this was a common problem with the 2.3L. Such a quick response from them. I said, "If this is a known problem, why wasn't there a recall?" They had no answer.
They did however recommend the $500 fuel cleaning service(fuoops).
I had the intake manifold taken apart at my local mechanic and blasted clean. A little help, but not the problem. I cleaned the whole system with the seafoam treatment, a little help, not the problem. I used Lucas intake manifold cleaner to spray inside the butterfly valve of the intake manifold, no solution. To this day, my car runs low, tries to stall, and has half the gas mileage as before.
It feels sluggish until about 5500 rpm. If I open it up to 5-6k, it starts to pull like before but then I shift and it's sluggish again. I know this car has the "drive-by-wire" manifold that runs off an electrical motor and not a physical wire. Is it possible that this device is slow, or somewhat non-responsive? I've about run out of ideas.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know what was done to the car in the 73,000 miles and 4 years of use
before you purchased it. The power train warranty was expired because of the miles. It' possible
the car has been flooded or been in a bad accident requiring a total rebuild. I know this
information is supposed to be noted on the title but there are still some places out there that
know how to get that information off a title.

Sorry you are having problems with the car, but some of the problems may not be Mazda's fault. On the
other hand their service department should be able to get the fuel injection system working properly.
Shame on them.

Clifton

I'm the second buyer. First buyer bought it from the dealer, took great care of it, then traded it back to the dealer for a different car. I got the Carfax and everything with this car. My protege5 is a *****. I'm the sixth owner, it was bought to resale a lot, and it's been in a front end collision. Less problems than my 3. This is one of my 3 Mazdas and the only one to have big and unusual issues. This dealer is the same dealership that poured oil in the spark plug wells on my mother-in law's Sante Fe' during a spark plug change and charged her to fix it. I just want a car that runs right again.

I'm curious what number you called to get in touch with someone who was able to dish out the check so easily. I'm dealing with the same issue, but the person I emailed said tough s***, were not helping. My 07 only has 38k mi and the original factory warranty just expired on 3/11. I feel the same way, CD player shouldn't die so soon! I've had Mazdas in the family as long as I can remember and was blown away when they were so quick to turn me away. I'd love to speak to an actual person.
Thanks!

I'm curious what number you called to get in touch with someone who was able to dish out the check so easily. I'm dealing with the same issue, but the person I emailed said tough s***, were not helping. My 07 only has 38k mi and the original factory warranty just expired on 3/11. I feel the same way, CD player shouldn't die so soon! I've had Mazdas in the family as long as I can remember and was blown away when they were so quick to turn me away. I'd love to speak to an actual person.
Thanks!
I called one of the MAZDA numbers that appeared around the dealership and went through the automated system till I spoke to someone in the right department. I explained about all the Mazdas I had, and how the Mazda3 was supposed to be the equivalent to the new Hondas but couldn't keep up with my 1990 jeep. I kept telling her how frustrated I was and how ripped off I am with this car...I'm getting frustrated about it now...anyways, after impaled her with a shitstorm of frustration, she asked the price for the CD changer and immediately responded with the gift card. I was REALLY shocked! I don't know what I was expecting by calling, maybe a recall, something, anything to help. She blew me off my feet with $500. Keep trying and be persistent until they get tired of you and give you $500 to leave them alone. It's not like it's hurting Mazda's pocket to dish out $500.

I ended up speaking to someone from MazdaUSA. I used yours along with a few others examples of getting reimbursed, but still no dice. The woman I spoke with said even if they did send me a card, it'd only be $50. Also said that you can't always believe everything on the internet/people embellish/etc./etc. I couldn't believe it.
The dealership is willing to cut the cost in half, but nobody so far is willing to do a 'good-faith' replacement at no cost to me. Their reasoning is that my original factory warranty expired 3/11. No matter that the mileage is only at 38,000 right now. Or that it was at was 35,852 when I signed the papers. And of course the CPO warranty doesn't cover the stereo. I asked the dealer if what they want to charge me is for labor to replace the stereo, and if so, could I just pick it up and install it myself. It's not covered by any warranty anyway. They swear it's not, but I have my doubts.
Dealer wants to get it done ASAP, but I think I'm just gonna pass and try to find one on my own. Or just replace it with aftermarket in the long run. The dealership wants $250 to replace it. Won't upgrade to the mp3 playing HU. I just can't bring myself to give them the money considering the circumstances. When I was at the dealer talking to them about this, I ran into the salesperson who sold me the car, explained situation. Reminded her of the last thing I asked before signing the papers. Which was, " So, ANYTHING, goes wrong with this car in the first year it's covered, right? After that, the power train warranty covers anything that makes the car go (eng./trans.)?" She confirmed. This is why I bought Certified. Well, when reminded, she just admitted that she should have mentioned the stereo and misc. electrical but just forgets because, "Ya don't really think about that stuff, ya know?"
So, that's where I'm at now. I may try going up the ladder, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I plan on keeping this car till it dies. Only reason to go to the trouble would be to keep the car OEM and working right if I were to sell it. I don't listen to CD's and like I said, I may go an aftermarket route in the future anyway. I don't know, I kind of want to fight the good fight anyway just because. I feel it's wrong that they won't fix their problem that they know was an issue just because the "original warranty expired 3/11" I'll update here if anything new comes up.

Last edited:
Man, that sucks big time. I didn't want to think about going aftermarket because the stereo was unique and made for the car. I wasn't sure how to replace short of a custom/expensive install. My CD player itself was working just fine, it was the CD changer itself that went bad. They quoted me $500 for that tiny piece of crap. I was wondering after I had gotten off the phone with Mazda if I had told the lady it was $700, if she would have given it to me, but I later realized that the card said the limit was not to exceed $500. The deal is, you have amazingly low mileage. If I were you, I would have taken a shotgun to the dealer at this point. I had closer to 100K miles when I had my issue. I have 113K now because it doesn't get driven anymore due to fuel issues caused by the dealership. I've been very, very, very disappointed with Mazda the past few years. I was hoping it was just the dealership, but you're making me believe otherwise. We will never truly know the cause to the gift card I received. I dunno if I got a hold of a lady that was having a good day or was fixing to leave and wanted to give the company the finger.
I know it seems hard to believe that a lady just dished out a $500 gift card to some stranger on the internet, but I honestly received one. I'm not here on the site trying to waste mine and other people's time. The gift card applied to my story above, and I posted in an attempt to draw more readers that could help me with my car.
I hope that you get this issue resolved, and I hope you don't pay a dime. I would continue to harass Mazda and possibly your dealership. If your phone calls aren't getting anywhere, ask to speak to their manager and keep going up. They told me the gift card was redeemable at any Mazda dealership. From how they made it sound, I could have gotten $500 of free work done and let me stereo be. They must be thinking you heard about a guy who got a gift card, and now your trying to get some free money for whatever. You may want to rethink your approach to these d-bags and consider referring to me as a close friend, family member, or possibly not mentioning me at all. Assure them what the money is for.
I complained about how I felt taken advantage of and abandoned. I never raised my voice of cussed at the woman, but stressed how upset I was. I would say I spent roughly 10 minutes on the phone with her. I didn't badger her for 30+ minutes.
Patience and perseverance my friend!
Good luck,
Cameron

Latest posts

Back