MSP knob on a MP5???

The protege5 has a shifter extension attached to the shifter because Mazda wants it to look like a truck shifter. If you remove the shifter extension, there is no thread to put on the msp knob, you will either have to thread it, or get a knob that doesn't "screw on" but instead uses set screws to hold the knob in place.

Your options are to either remove the extension and put on a non-thread knob, get the msp shifter, or just get an aftermarket short shifter like b&m or kartboy or something.

If you decide to remove the extension, all you need to do is take off the panel covering the shift boot, remove the shift boot, and use a blowtorch to heat the base of the extension for about 30 seconds. Pull the dreaded thing off and use a knife to cut off the remaining rubber. Hope this helps! Happy torching!

it will fit - the threads are the same. i have an 03.5 msp knob in my 02 protege5. said it before and will say it again - the only protege with a different thread pitch from EVERY OTHER mazda is the mp3 and the sportmatic proteges

could somebody please post a pic of the msp shift knob. i don't recall what it looks like. :) (thumb)

There are two, one is Sparco (03) and a MS (03.5) Lots of people have the 03 Sparco for their avatar image.

mspsparkco.gif

The sparco has the set screws and you can use it when you take the extension off. I have it like that in my car.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back