MSP is a POS!

kamon8404 said:
Plus, No one on the board takes into account that we all care more about our car than the average person. That is why we are on this board. When a non-car enthusiast has something happen to their vehicle, they just take it to the shop and call it a day. When we have something happen to our car, it means more. It kinda hurts us a little deep inside because we take the extra time to care and maintain our vehicles. Since it effects us more, we come on the boards all pissed and vent for a little while. Thats the way I see it.

Yeah I will agree that while we do take care of our vehicles better, you forgot to mention one thing: We beat the s*** out of our cars more often than most. How many here go autocrossing/dragging in their cars? Then expect to not have any problems? Youre nuts... I had an 03 Jetta that had countless issues with it... There was only a handful of months that it WASNT having an issue, and even when I got rid of the thing, they STILL couldnt fix it completely. That car was brand new, and I only drove spiritedly rarely in that compared to the MSP.

I dont care how anyone else feels. You dont like Mazda? Dont buy another one. I however LOVE my MSP and will try to hold onto it as long as possible. Cars have issues... Its bound to happen. If there were no issues on vehicles, there wouldnt be a warranty and no one would buy a new car simply because its hitting 100k miles. Switching to a company that touts its high reliability is laughable. Yeah, they may have less issues, but it doesnt mean you wont get stuck with that one thats going to crap out @ 3k miles. I love the fact that Toyota is having issues. Not because I want to see them fail, but because it shows that NO CAR COMPANY is infalible. Problems are bound to happen. If you feel youd be better off in another brand, go for it, but dont bad mouth a car company because yours failed. Bad mouthing them because they wont help you (in the correct circumstances)? Thats understandable.

I dont think Midol will help either... Maybe some Xanex will help with the car-related depression.

I'm not hard on my car and I had my share of problems.lsd, manifold,shift linkage,first gear,struts. And I only have 33,000 miles on my car. I like my car, but I will never buy another mazda again. AS soon as I can afford a wrx she is gone.

mines got 43,000 and not a problem except other careless drivers. take good care of your car and it'll be good to you. im deff not sayin to drive it like a puss, i deff dont, maby bad luck for you or somethin?....(first)

Attachments

• RO_3790023[1].jpg
    RO_3790023[1].jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 132
  • RO_3790020[1].jpg
    RO_3790020[1].jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 125
the msp is not built to be the longest lasting engine its a stock engine with a bolt on turbo its obviously going to have problem specially when you just trow performance parts at it. i like the fact that things are going to go out n it sooner just gives me a better reason to buy better parts. also if you don't drive like a racer it would last a hell of a lot longer

the msp is not built to be the longest lasting engine its a stock engine with a bolt on turbo its obviously going to have problem specially when you just trow performance parts at it. i like the fact that things are going to go out n it sooner just gives me a better reason to buy better parts. also if you don't drive like a racer it would last a hell of a lot longer

I am not amused by your decision to bump this year-and-a-half-old thread.

To each, his own...We own 3 Mazda's, the MSP has 78,000 miles, it has been auto-x'd, HPDE's and still no issues. Our 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door and wagon each have about 48K in mileage and no issues as well. It all goes back to how well you take care of your car.

As a number of my friends that own Suby's, Mitsu's and other name plates, always tell me how envious they are of the support that Mazdaspeed Motorsports offers us that do track our cars. As has been stated by others in previous posts, no matter what you buy, there is no perfect car or car company. my brother drives a M5, talk about maintenance costs and even he has had issues as well with his car (2005)......

Have fun in your quest for the perfect car and good luck to you, I wish you well

I guess it really depends on what you want. I bought the car expecting a possible project car (my project car at the time was an RX-7). After driving it for a little while I decided to put the RX-7 on hold and mod this car. I've driven it over 30 thousand miles myself now, Odometer is at 82,400 and I bought it around 48k.

I've beaten the hell out of the car, on the road and at Autocross. I've modded quite a bit. I've run 10PSI. The only issues I've had were the suspension clunk, and the newly acquired fuel cut (and a pretty severe hesitation in that closed loop - open loop rpm range). I fixed the suspension clunk myself with the AXR Bracket, and as far as fuel cut goes, I haven't 100% decided on whether I'm going to lower boost or move ahead with the MPI Piggyback. However, as far as I'm concerned, this car has been extremely reliable for how much I abuse it and how much I've modded it.

To each his own I guess. I'm sorry to the guys that have had the cars completely blow up on them stock. Seems to me that these cars were simply different from each other from the factory, and I got lucky (so far).

hahaha all this bitching about the MSP...

Shift_RECALL ftw!

bear in mind I'm one of the lucky specs due to preventative maintenance with 68k:
new rear calipers since both over-extended
new rack and pinion assembly since both end seals blew
new shocks/struts
replaced shift forks
snapped e-brake cable

and I'm lucky since I took apart the intake manifold to loctite the butterfly screws before they backed out and went through the motor (2 were already more than 1/2 backed). additionally, I replaced the header before the precat could disintegrate and get sucked back into the motor.

all 'performance' econoboxes have temperment issues and it only gets worse when the level of performance increases... get over it if you can...

life sucks, the sun still rises tomorrow, eventually you die, the sun still rises the next day

weird some people b**** about s*** like children and they probably drive the piss out of the car which causes issues to rise.

my car was a LEASE before me plus driven in (sometimes) harsh Canadian winters since new and never had those issues except bushings so.. whatever some people do to their cars baffles me.

still on stock rear tires, stock brakes, stock lsd, etc etc

Edit: you warped your ******* rotors? dude that s*** ain't normal, to do that you have to be generating excessive heat and a heck of a lot of high-speed braking.

you are just dumb.

Last edited:
I agree, some people do bring trouble to themselves by beating and/or throwing mods at their car without the supporting internals. The warped rotors is one of those things that sometimes happen to our cars. I think they may have had a TSB about it...

No this is a factory performance car, it should not break, make any noises and everything on it should be covered under warranty even oil changes. And last a million miles with your foot on the floor the entire time.

No this is a factory performance car, it should not break, make any noises and everything on it should be covered under warranty even oil changes. And last a million miles with your foot on the floor the entire time.

Thank heavens I had a cup of coffee already and caught the sarcasm. At first I was like "wth?" :p

lol ive had mine for almost 6 months, bought it with very low kms on it. loved it, put 500 under the hood, loved it more... AT this momment im kind of annoyed because im thinking my WGA is sticking and my breaks are making grinding noises when i slow down (pretty sure i warped the rotars haha, HOWEVER read on to find out how lol). I also dont mind ethier of these 2 little issues, a WGA is 70 bucks, rotars and to redo the breaks are a bit more, but i also drive the living piss out of my ride. Im the guy who goes to where autocross is when its not open and drives around and rips the e-break and learns to control the spin, i drive my car incredibly hard and considering that my last car (cavalier z22, and yes, by far not anywhere near a performance ride) but i did the same s*** with that car and it blew up in 5k....considering the fun ive had on MSP and what ive put it through, i cant really complain spending 500 to bring it back up to peak shape

ALL cars have expenses....you buy a 30 000 dollar ride, your going to actually pay 45. you buy a 45 000 dollar ride, your going to pay 60....every car has weak spots, and every club forum like this has people bitching about there cars weaknesses

Thank heavens I had a cup of coffee already and caught the sarcasm. At first I was like "wth?" :p

LOL I heard to much arguing. Had to throw everybody for a curve. I wonder what they go through with corvetes I know what they go through with EVO's and the STI's even WRX's have a lot of headaches.

Back