MSP, components or coaxials?

Everythings Kenwood.... 5x7 comps with seperate tweeters in the sail panels up front and 6.5's in the back. 8 inch sub in the trunk.

thaikim said:
Everythings Kenwood.... 5x7 comps with seperate tweeters in the sail panels up front and 6.5's in the back. 8 inch sub in the trunk.

yup : ) you can also use 6x8 speakers in front because they are the same as a 5x7 also the amp in the rear deck is actually a bridged 2 channel and is installed just like a typical sub amp.. also just for future reference.. another sign that mazda loves us is that the rca's and everything else is crappy quality

I was going to start a new thread but what the hell... I'm looking to upgrade my speakers & sub but first, need to know what the hell I currently have. I searched... and searched but nothing. Does anyone have any model #s for the speakers and sub? Also... is it worth replacing the sub amp? I'm planning on getting a better 8" sub to throw in the enclosure (assuming the stock isn't some kick ass kenwood sub) so I may need a better amp to go along with it. If so, could this kenwood double up as an amp to power my front seperates or is it destined for ebay?

stock sub is an 8 ohm POS.

If you want more bass and want to use the stock enclosure, then pick up a JL or Fosgate 4 ohm sub.

Your amp will put out roughly double the power that way.

The little amp is a decent piece IMHO. I have mione running my front doors and picked up an MTX to run a Kenwood 12 inch sub.

I used another stock amp in my ex's car to run a 12 inch Fosgate and it worked well.

If you start adding amps, you will want to run bigger power and ground wire (4 gauge would be good) as well as an inline fuse. I would get better RCA cables as well.

Last edited:
Coool... so I can just swap out the existing sub for a 4ohm and that alone will make a big difference? I'm torn because... I just got a new HU (22w rms x4) so I'm thinking about powering my speakers with it... just like they've been powered by my "stock" msp HU for all these years. I never had any issue with the sound quality/volume so I'm sure it would be good enough for my purposes. Then again... I just bought some new kicker speakers so they might require more power.

anyway.... you said I should replace the rcas and upgrade to a 4 guage power cable... I'm dissapointed.. I can live with mazda giving us mediocre speakers but to skimp on the wiring.... that sucks. I've never replaced that before so it looks like I'm gonna have to pay someone.

CHICO2003 said:
Coool... so I can just swap out the existing sub for a 4ohm and that alone will make a big difference? I'm torn because... I just got a new HU (22w rms x4) so I'm thinking about powering my speakers with it... just like they've been powered by my "stock" msp HU for all these years. I never had any issue with the sound quality/volume so I'm sure it would be good enough for my purposes. Then again... I just bought some new kicker speakers so they might require more power.

anyway.... you said I should replace the rcas and upgrade to a 4 guage power cable... I'm dissapointed.. I can live with mazda giving us mediocre speakers but to skimp on the wiring.... that sucks. I've never replaced that before so it looks like I'm gonna have to pay someone.

Yes a 4 ohm sub will be an improvement.

You are fine with stock wiring until you start adding multiple amps or a much bigger amp than stock.

If you add another amp, you will need another set of RCA's automatically anyway.

Yes wanted to know how many watts is the stock amp and if it could power a jl 8w3v2 d-4, someone said 4ohms, would pushing a 2ohm sub be pushing it. I curently have a pioneer 480 watt 4 channel amp and a jl 12w3v2 d-2. How would I wire up both amps, pioneer and stock, and have the stock run the new 8 in jl, and my pioneer amp run the 12. Any help would be great, thank you.

RCAs

I just had my car broken into a few weeks ago, and the shop left the stereo out because I'm putting in an Alpine instead. I can't find the RCAs though to hook up the amp. Should they be on the wiring harness somewhere? Maybe they got lodged, lost somewhere behind the dash. Anyone know where they feed from. They're still connected to the amp in the back, but they don't look to be coming out from anywhere behind the dash.

If the dirty thieves got your HU, then there is a chance that they are cut off, or ripped out somewhere. :(

Other than that, they should be right there.

NOT TRUE..unless the previous owner changed something...
fronts are not comps..they are just kenwood exelon coax with factory looking tweeters at the sail panel.

as for the rear they are kenwood db+

Back