motor swap

chris

:
96 nissan 200SX SE-R
just want to let everyone know that i might be doing a swap in my protege. I am gonna try to put a FWD SR20DET redtop in the protege. Comes outta a nissan bluebird in japan.I am gonna do a little more research on the two motors and see if it can be done,but i think it should be a pretty good,yet complicated swap.all comments are welcome but dont flame me,just give an opinion and leave it at that.thanks

Last edited:
My buddies who specialize in SR and RB swaps keep trying to convince me to do a SR swap from a pulsar. Not gonna happen, but if i had an older protege maybe.

txrxs said:
My buddies who specialize in SR and RB swaps keep trying to convince me to do a SR swap from a pulsar. Not gonna happen, but if i had an older protege maybe.
just keep you fsde in the garage and do the swap, you will always be able to reverse it.

Sounds like a challenge. Ive seen a couple swap to it on a 1gen MX6 and I hear its a PITA.
Why not stay Mazda and go with the FE3

because the sr20 can make massive power for real cheap because it is a popular engine.and the SR has alot of the same characteristis as far as mounting it in place of the fsde, so the swap might not be that hard after all.
~KiNg MaRtY~ said:
Sounds like a challenge. Ive seen a couple swap to it on a 1gen MX6 and I hear its a PITA.
Why not stay Mazda and go with the FE3

Finally, people are starting to get wacky.

i guess this means alot of peoples warrantys have run out.

f-that go with a small block!!! though good luck converting to rwd... would be a sweet drifter though!!! tub out the wheel wells and put some nasty tires back there...

my pipe dream is to drop a 20b rotary and awd, but it won't happen unless someone else does it first. I'm not skilled enough to do it myself, and hate paying people to work on my car (trust issues)

I heard the sr20 is one of the best 'modding' engines out there...Sport Compact Car rated the nissan 240sx as one of the best used cars to get to soup up, mostly because of this engine swap capability... good luck!

its the FRONT WHEEL DRIVE SR20 redtop
tsunami said:
f-that go with a small block!!! though good luck converting to rwd... would be a sweet drifter though!!! tub out the wheel wells and put some nasty tires back there...

the protege was originally designed for four wheel drive for people who want to be real wacky

IMO, The P5 was a fun project, but Had I started with a faster car to begin with, I would have something totally diferent (But it would handle like s*** so I'm still in love with my P5) :)

hah yea its totally reversible (lol)

10 bucks says you dont do it. Think, steering rack, A/C, ECU, Harness, etc...

You might as well buy a beater Nissan or if your Protege is going to be project only your gonna have to strip it and all that. I suppose if get rid of everything besides what runs the car it would make it a lil more doable.

a swap has been crossing my mind more and more latley for my MSP,but if I do I will be going with a 13B RWD,or if I decide do think out of the MAZDA box,I may put a 383 smallblock chevy in it.

but if I do,this car will only go on the track,thats it.

SybrFreq said:
put a renesis in there

to expensive IMO,I would rather use a engine and drive train I already have for mine.(btw,I am looking at this much later,like 5 years or so.)

Back