Motor Mount Issue

gverrault

I'm taking the car into the dealer but they have not heard of this issue and if they can't reproduce it they don't know what to do. The issue is, usually when its cold out, if I start the car it starts fine. As soon as I put it in reverse to start backing up, foot still on the brake, the entire car starts shaking and the engine RPM seems to increase. I had seen some other posts on the forum where people were reporting that the dealer replaced the driver side engine mount with a revised design or with the mount from the manual transmission cars. Does anyone have any information on this or a possible service bulletin? It doesn't happen often but when it does it is disconcerting to say the least. My car is a very early production run first year model. Any information would be appreciated.

Do you let the idle speed start to drop before putting the trans in reverse? Sounds like the cat is still being warmed up at hi idle. Ed

It's normal for RPM's to run high on cold start. Shaking is subjective, but if its very bad you may indeed want to check the mounts.

I tend to wait a few seconds before putting it into reverse. So far as the shaking goes, the best way to describe it is it makes as much noise as you would get when driving through a high pressure car wash. Every panel on the car vibrates.

Early on there was discussion about this and I had an early 2013 that when backing up a steep hill it would vibrate - sounded like the block hitting the car frame. I took it to a dealer but warmed up I could not reproduce, no hill to back up, was told it would not hurt anything so I forgot about it as I seldom backed up a hill. I think a few motor supports were changed but don't remember the thread...

Back