CX-5 Jerks back and forth when warmed up and pushed hard

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) - these spark plugs were installed when car had 85k miles on May 19 this year.
hydraulic lifter arm falling off due to faulty programming ? ... could be, but it doesn't have a correlation with cold/warm car, right ?

I can graph some live data from sensors, will try to do that soon.
Uh oh. Did you get them on eBay? Mazda genuine spark plugs cost much more. You could have counterfeit or incompatible spark plugs.

It doesn’t seem like the arm falling off issue to me personally.

Uh oh. Did you get them on eBay? Mazda genuine spark plugs cost much more. You could have counterfeit or incompatible spark plugs.

It doesn’t seem like the arm falling off issue to me personally.
You think ? I see the price is 26/one, and I paid 26 for 4. Well, it's easy to test, the mazda dealer is not far from me.

You think ? I see the price is 26/one, and I paid 26 for 4. Well, it's easy to test, the mazda dealer is not far from me.
Oh yeah. That price is very problematic. If it’s not from a Mazda dealer on eBay, I wouldn’t buy it. It’s awful the crap they sell to unsuspecting people. Check out the lengths they go to when copying the part: Identifying Fake NGK Spark Plugs

I think we may have found your problem there. Sincerely hope that is it! Sorry it’s over $100 for a genuine set. Not sure what reputable auto parts stores are around you to find the genuine NGK equivalent, but you’ll know for sure you likely got a genuine OEM part from the Mazda dealer.

Oh yeah. That price is very problematic. If it’s not from a Mazda dealer on eBay, I wouldn’t buy it. It’s awful the crap they sell to unsuspecting people. Check out the lengths they go to when copying the part: Identifying Fake NGK Spark Plugs

I think we may have found your problem there. Sincerely hope that is it! Sorry it’s over $100 for a genuine set. Not sure what reputable auto parts stores are around you to find the genuine NGK equivalent, but you’ll know for sure you likely got a genuine OEM part from the Mazda dealer.
Thanks for the link !
Frankly, I didn't expect to see much problem coming from spark plugs. Like, it's just "two wires" to make a spark between them, should be easy to manufacture, right ?
Will buy the OEM tomorrow, thanks

thanks for much for the link ! Saved my time :) appreciate ti.

Btw, i know it sounds silly, but can it be an issue with torque converter ? Maybe I don't know something about it...
As mentioned the software updates rectified mine. If the problems come back time will tell. Doing the reset as per mentioned video did not work and I thought torque converter as well, when booked in to mazda it was noted for the mechanic but he didn't deem was faulty

Thanks for the link !
Frankly, I didn't expect to see much problem coming from spark plugs. Like, it's just "two wires" to make a spark between them, should be easy to manufacture, right ?
Will buy the OEM tomorrow, thanks
I know what you mean. The issue is how Mazda relies on the spark plugs. They need to have the iridium tip. The system actually uses the spark plug as a knock sensor. Check out post 2 at the link below:

I've had good luck ordering the NGK equivalent of the Mazda spark plugs for my 2.5T from RockAuto. I think I paid $60 CDN for a set of 4, compared to the $25+ per plug that the dealership wanted.

I've had good luck ordering the NGK equivalent of the Mazda spark plugs for my 2.5T from RockAuto. I think I paid $60 CDN for a set of 4, compared to the $25+ per plug that the dealership wanted.
I got really lucky with my ‘13. I said YOLO and went with Denso Iridium TT for like $25 for the set back in 2018 or so. By sheer luck Yrwei found it as an OEM plug used for some CX-5 trim and model year but can’t remember if it was mine. Had no problems with those, but I’ll be going with OEM or the suspected OEM supplier on my 23’ 2.5T.

It isn’t necessarily the price that the OP paid that spooks me. The red flag for me is that it’s advertised in boxes with the Mazda logo along with the $26 price. The supposed iridium tip of the plugs pictured on the listing also have the profile that appears to be the counterfeit style identified in the thread link I shared (shorter ceramic insulator, tapered tip on the counterfeit vs the narrow tip on the genuine plug).

Last edited:
Improper spark plugs could also be a reason for engine misfire/detonation that is not being registered by the ECM.

what a crap I had in my car :eek: ... i installed them 10k miles ago, the result is below.
haven't tested if this fixed my issue yet, but the plugs were horrible. Paid $150 for 4 new, old costed me like $22 for 4.

IMG_20230915_165655.jpg

IMG_20230915_165719.jpg

IMG_20230915_165911.jpg

the new was like this:
PRD_2704992_90_NGK93501-2.jpg

I have been having the same issue 2020 GT. I just reset my intervals yesterday and it is like night and day. My mechanic suggested the fuel treatment, I had my injectors cleaned and I was going to change the fluid. Mechanic ran it by his tranny guy and he said I need to go to the dealer. I thought what do I have to lose? Reste yesterday and went for a drive this morning, tried to replicate where the issue was happening and I think/hope/pray it is fixed.

I have been having the same issue 2020 GT. I just reset my intervals yesterday and it is like night and day. My mechanic suggested the fuel treatment, I had my injectors cleaned and I was going to change the fluid. Mechanic ran it by his tranny guy and he said I need to go to the dealer. I thought what do I have to lose? Reste yesterday and went for a drive this morning, tried to replicate where the issue was happening and I think/hope/pray it is fixed.
what does "reset my intervals" mean?

I think you’re on the right track, can’t wait to hear the result of the new plugs!
Changing spark plugs resolved my issue !

Thank you so much for pointing out spark plugs, while initially I didn't believe this might be a reason, i thought "well, if these work as nocking sensors or if people are just picky about them - it's worth checking", it was the reason.

I heard that Skyactive engines sometimes don't even need spark plugs because compression ratio is so high the gas detonates at the right time. Maybe this advantage caused engine working on low power. Just maybe. Cause i still can't explain why the cold engine worked well with full range of throttle.

Anyway, thanks.

Thank you so much for pointing out spark plugs, while initially I didn't believe this might be a reason, i thought "well, if these work as nocking sensors or if people are just picky about them - it's worth checking", it was the reason.

I heard that Skyactive engines sometimes don't even need spark plugs because compression ratio is so high the gas detonates at the right time. Maybe this advantage caused engine working on low power. Just maybe. Cause i still can't explain why the cold engine worked well with full range of throttle.

Anyway, thanks.
No problem, really glad we were able to get that sorted for you!

Anyway, thanks.
Glad you resolved your issue by simply replaced counterfeit plugs. As @ruthrj pointed out that $22 for 4 good quality plugs simply too good to be true! On the other hand, $150 for 4 Mazda OEM plugs is too high on price too (should be around $120). You could have got a set of Mazda OEM “Value” spark plugs for about $50; or you could have got the NGK equivalent plugs for about the same price like the Mazda “value” plugs. But nothing can compare the joy of a strange problem which got fixed by yourself with the help from @ruthrj!

Yes the 10K-mile old spark plugs definitely either the counterfeit or the “rebuild” plugs. IMO it looks like “rebuild” plugs as the tips are totally worn with only 10K miles. And the resistance of old plugs is all out of specs too. I wonder what the imprint says on brand and model number from your old plugs?

No Mazda’s SkyActiv-G engines do need spark plugs all the time. 13:1 compression ratio isn’t too high nowadays (Toyota’s current Dynamic Force 2.5L has the same 13:1 (14:1 on hybrid) compression ratio) to detonates itself easily. The cold engine could just make the cold plugs easier to fire due to the lower resistance, hence worked well with full range of throttle.

Last edited:
I got really lucky with my ‘13. I said YOLO and went with Denso Iridium TT for like $25 for the set back in 2018 or so. By sheer luck Yrwei found it as an OEM plug used for some CX-5 trim and model year but can’t remember if it was mine. Had no problems with those, but I’ll be going with OEM or the suspected OEM supplier on my 23’ 2.5T.
Yes there’re 2 Mazda part numbers for OEM spark plugs. One is made by NGK and the other one is made by Denso. Both NGK and Denso have OEM equivalent spark plugs available for sale.

It isn’t necessarily the price that the OP paid that spooks me. The red flag for me is that it’s advertised in boxes with the Mazda logo along with the $26 price. The supposed iridium tip of the plugs pictured on the listing also have the profile that appears to be the counterfeit style identified in the thread link I shared (shorter ceramic insulator, tapered tip on the counterfeit vs the narrow tip on the genuine plug).
Yes there’re many counterfeit auto parts on eBay or even on Amazon. Here’s another warning posted by @Glee217:

Btw on ebay there are a lot of fakes. One example is with Toyota packaging like the red spark plug boxes below both from ebay listings:

33068E29-48DF-4A45-84AA-8D62E143ECCD.png

2151E2E4-80C9-4318-901F-C8535E377457.png

Thank The Creator for ALL of your posts!!!
After changing my transmission at home with a remanufactured I'd also experienced loss of power and jerking back and forth...
After installing NGK 94124 laser iridium (according to the resource section for CX-5) the situation is resolved!!!
Thank GOD for that!!!
Still showing permanent cylinder #1 misfire detected code P0301
Perhaps that is a coil.

Thank The Creator for ALL of your posts!!!
After changing my transmission at home with a remanufactured I'd also experienced loss of power and jerking back and forth...
After installing NGK 94124 laser iridium (according to the resource section for CX-5) the situation is resolved!!!
Thank GOD for that!!!
Still showing permanent cylinder #1 misfire detected code P0301
Perhaps that is a coil.
So what are the old spark plugs you replaced with NGKs?

Back