Memoirs of a Protege5

Wow, I can't help but to feel the utmost depressed after reading this. Maybe it's just because we turbo'd our P5's around the same time but I feel like I can relate your (past?) feelings towards your car to mine about my car. I can't even imagine how insane I would be going if I were in your place right now. I can sympathize with your feelings towards your car right now though - I've already had a few problems with the P5 and more than once I've been fed up (although not nearly as serious as your issues). The only thing I can say to you is to just go out and look at your P5. Everytime I get the slightest bit upset with my P5 I just need to go away and cool down for a while but everytime I come back I fall in love again. I know everything seems like it's lost but it really isn't. Sure the bodyshopped royally screwed up but your car isn't dead or unreliable - it's just a little beat up. I see no reason tossing away a perfectly good car just because it's been beat around a little - especially after you've done so much. I mean at the very least keep the car and just fix it later - that's what I plan on doing with all the little blemishes and defects on my car. From one college student to another I understand how work and money often keep you from doing things but hey, that's why we are here - so we can make more money later.

With all that being said, sure, your P5 won't win any carshows buut does she still run? Is she still fast and handle like no other? When you consider those things a temporary thing such as a screwed up paint job and some other things seem so small.

Sorry for the overly emotional/sympathetic response. I just really hate to see people giving up on their cars after so much work for such small (relative) reasons. So yeah, KEEP HER!

Well it was dead and unreliable (had to get towed back to the body shop, speaker system was shorted out... ) after they had my car.

I just feel stuck because I chose that body shop.. I can't just go back to my insurance company and say "oh hey that body shop didn't work out right, can you dish out more money to get it fixed at another shop" especially when in the end it isn't my insurance company that'll be paying for it.

Monday morning I'm going to call my insurance company at 9:50 (first break I have from class on Monday) and put pressure on them to put pressure on the body shop and get everything fixed right. I'm going to make the insurance adjuster come to me, at my house, when I'm here so I can go over the stuff. Any time the insurance adjuster looked at my car (which was just before repairs were done, never after) it was at the body shop so I have no idea what was or wasn't said.

This body shop cut so many corners it isn't funny, and the guy wants to blame everything on me having an aftermarket intercooler.. before I let them have the car back again I'm gonna have to de-turbo it or at least remove the intercooler so that they can't b****. I have a cap for the oil feed line and a cap for the bung on my drain pan for just such an ocassion. :)

or just leave the turbo on but do what Damien did while breaking in his engine and just not have the compressor hooked up to the intake on the car. that way I can pull the intercooler and not worry about how the car will run without it. it'll just be wildly rich on the MSP ecu haha.

I still do plan on checking out that miata after work on Tuesday when I'm in the area of the shop anyway. Without a/c or power steering pumps draining on that 133hp 1.8 I bet it's pretty quick!

oh and going out and looking at my car almost always solves and thoughts I have of selling her.. but not today.. I go out and look at my car and the first thing I see is all the misaligned crap, followed by the really crappy mismatched paint job.

chris, chris, chris...i feel you pain man, been there oh...4 or 5 times over the yrs...anyway, you need to take a step back, breath deeply and think on this a bit...i'm not trying to talk you in or out of anything, but your reacting to emotion, never good...work it thorugh like a project in school or at work...if in th end it makes best sense to sell her okay, but don't ever make any decision based on your emotions!!

Selling the car wont really solve your feelings long term - it will just take the problem from infront of you. You still got beat on good work.

reality though? Nothing I see with your car isnt fixable. Its not like they did ill-repairs to the frame/subframe. Other than tweaking some of the body panels and repainting, its perfect.

Also - I would discuss this issue with your insurance company. Granted they said the work isnt "backed" but they as much as you dont want to waste their money on bad work. You have a legitimate claim for bad repairwork. Im sure the insurance company will stand by you too. Generally speaking insurance companies will stick with you till the end of the claim, and only body shops they recommend (and have contracts with) will they cover after the fact. Basically - just because you got it repaired there doesnt mean they wont help you, it just means if they did AWESOME work and 2 yrs later the paint fell off youd be on your own. Where as if you went to their recommended shop and had issues with paintwork/repairs years from now they would back the repair and fix it for you (like a warranty).

in reality - the bodyshop didnt come close to repairing the car to "like-new" condition. The isurance doesnt want to hear that, and niether do you. I had a similiar issue with my old car and the insurance company helped me fight to get it fixed correctly.

My bad taste bodyshop story - 2003 Jetta. PERFECT CONDITION. I took care of it, and it was a black car to make it worse. Had a similiar collision (not as much front end damage, but hitting all the same parts) except to the passenger-side. fender, radiator support, hood, bumper, passenger light, grill, etc. had to be fixed or replaced. When I got the car back, the headlight was misaligned, the fender actually had a spot where it WASNT SPRAYED that was slightly visable from a normal viewpoint. Bumper wasnt aligned, the grill wasnt 100% attached (I fixed it). The hood, which should have been replaced was only repaired. Add to that, the week after it was fixed I washed my car, only to have paint start chipping off of the grill.

Told the insurance company and had it fixed until I was happy, you just have to be willing to fight. Those pictures say tons too. If I were you Id check w/ insurance to find out what viable options would be. Silver (even mica) is one of the easier colors out there to blend. Im sure if the repairs were done correctly, there would be no visable signs of any repairs whatsoever.

Since my mom isn't keen on buying another new car right now since she hasn't worked at all this year and didn't work most of last year because of illness and injuries (and a few surgeries).. my only option is to downgrade to an older or crappier car. Why put myself through that? Because I'm an emotional wreck right now and even my emo soap can't help me. I need to distance myself from this car and close out this once wonderful chapter of my life so that I can move on and not flunk out of school from all the stress and lost time.

Are you kidding me??? I can understand putting your time and money into something that eventually is wrecked but your mother bought you that car and you're going to whine that she won't buy you another one?? That you'll be forced to "downgrade" to an older and crappier car???? You should be thankful, you spoiled little brat, that your mother bought you a car in the first place. You have no idea what it means to be an adult in the real world and deal with real problems. Cut your mother some slack, you said she's been out of work most of last year from illness and surgeries. Buy your older and crappier car and get a life.

If my hubby acted like you do over his car, we'd be in divorce court. Grow up!!

damn chris, don't know what to say that everyone else hasn't already... i agree too that you're going off emotion right now which is NEVER a good time to make a decision. i know you're angry with the body shop, the insurance company and yourself (to some degree), but just give it a little time to see where the complaint with the BBB and a lawyer take you. she'll never be exactly like she was pre-accident, but hopefully with a little more patience (and i know you've had a LOT lately), things will be fixed and painted properly the way they should be and she'll be the next-best thing to new.

p5wifey said:
Since my mom isn't keen on buying another new car right now since she hasn't worked at all this year and didn't work most of last year because of illness and injuries (and a few surgeries).. my only option is to downgrade to an older or crappier car. Why put myself through that? Because I'm an emotional wreck right now and even my emo soap can't help me. I need to distance myself from this car and close out this once wonderful chapter of my life so that I can move on and not flunk out of school from all the stress and lost time.

Are you kidding me??? I can understand putting your time and money into something that eventually is wrecked but your mother bought you that car and you're going to whine that she won't buy you another one?? That you'll be forced to "downgrade" to an older and crappier car???? You should be thankful, you spoiled little brat, that your mother bought you a car in the first place. You have no idea what it means to be an adult in the real world and deal with real problems. Cut your mother some slack, you said she's been out of work most of last year from illness and surgeries. Buy your older and crappier car and get a life.

- TROLL

p5wifey said:

wow.... someone has anger issues. obviously you did not actually read his posts before coming to your 'conclusion'. normally i'm all for being courteous to new members and welcoming them into the family, but

GET OUT

and now I quote a song by The Used:

" From the way that you acted
to the way that I felt it
It wasn't worth my time
and now it's sad cause all I missed
wasn't that good to begin with
and now that I've started you begging
saying things that you don't mean
it isn't worth my time
a line's a dime a million times
and I'm about to see all of them

Goodbye to you, goodbye to you, you're taking up my time [x3]
Goodbye to you, goodbye to you

You call my name when I wake up
to see things go your way
I'm coughing up my time
each drag's a drop of blood a grain
a minute of my life
it's all I've got just to stay down
why the **** am I still down
I'm hoarding all that's mine
each time I let just one slip by
I'm wasting what is mine

Goodbye to you, goodbye to you, you're taking up my time [x3]
Goodbye to you, goodbye to you

My time [x3]

I'm about to see a million things
I thought I'd never see before and I
I'm about to do all of the things
I've dreamed of and
I don't even miss you at all
[x2]

Goodbye to you, goodbye to you, you're taking up my time [x7]
Goodbye to you, goodbye to you"

it's not true though, I will miss her. I hope I can be reasoned with and stopped from throwing this all away, but my heart is telling me to go ahead and close this chapter of my life. And yes, I am this much of an emo b**** for anyone who wants to ridicule me for that like usual :p

LMAO

That is the most pathetic thing I've ever read.

p5wifey said:

Wow shut the **** up and get out of this thread you ******* troll. Seriously.

When did I say she bought the car for me? I was 18, she bought the car in her name with MY money, and I sold my dad my truck.

You don't know me at all so do some ******* reading before you call me a spoiled brat you asshat.

p5wifey said:
LMAO

That is the most pathetic thing I've ever read.

You're the most pathetic troll I've seen on here in quite some time. Learn how you quote you noob (wedge)

oh right *ignore list*

Kansei said:
You're the most pathetic troll I've seen on here in quite some time. Learn how you quote you noob (wedge)

oh right *ignore list*

Um, ok, wasn't everyone new at some point? How am I pathetic? I'm not crying my eyes out over a car. I'm sure I'm not the only person on this forum that thinks the same way I do.

p5wifey said:
Um, ok, wasn't everyone new at some point? How am I pathetic? I'm not crying my eyes out over a car. I'm sure I'm not the only person on this forum that thinks the same way I do.

you obviously dont understand what kind of time and energy *MOST* of the members here throw into their car.

Why contribute (for your first post no less) just to be an asshole?

*EDIT : Actually dont answer that last question, I couldnt really care less...

**EDIT : Who would waste their time in car forums if they didnt care about their cars?

Last edited:
It is a car forum... not to mention a car can consume a seriously over blown percentage of ones income if they are really into cars (like almost everyone on this forum). The money is one heart ache, and the car and work is another. With both those combined he is prolly feeling the worst he ever will in his entire life minus the death of a loved one. So he is right and you should (gtfo)

DeadGeneration said:
It is a car forum... not to mention a car can consume a seriously over blown percentage of ones income if they are really into cars (like almost everyone on this forum). The money is one heart ache, and the car and work is another. With both those combined he is prolly feeling the worst he ever will in his entire life minus the death of a loved one. So he is right and you should (gtfo)

thanks you self proclaimed "newbie".

I'm gonna go change my oil to see how that makes me feel.. unless it's still pouring rain outside of course.

Sorry to hear about all the crap you've been through man. My Civic has been hit more than a golf ball. Each time when I'm not in the car, and it's sitting in a parking lot. It's been to the body shop about 8 times now. The first few times, it came out alright. No real complaints, but the last couple have been complete embarassments. I fully understand you walking away and beginning a new "life". Good luck on whatever car you decide to go with.

I have sunk alot of money into my Civic with the whole engine swap and all. I've had the car since 2000. I've grown really attached to the car, and probably won't get rid of it...until someone totals it for me.

Besides you have other hoods to put on the car in the mean time so it wont look like it was painted with a can.
Take a break, clear your head, remember the good time the P5 has brought you, and come back to the fight stronger than ever.
We are ALL behind you... Stay strong.

the bumper, fenders, and front doors will still look dumb though. Trust me, I would have put my summer hood on if I wasn't waiting on getting this one fixed. Don't wanna risk chipping the paint carrying it to them in the trunk and have them say that clearly I damaged the hood and they won't fix it.

Back