MazdaSpeed3 winter tires question

Question... Boosted What kind of rubber is that? And if you were to put cables on your front two tires would they rub the wheel wells while turning? And damn I wish I knew that I could have put 17's on cause when I got a hold of mazda they said I had to get 215 45 18 tires...

I have 225-50-17 Dunlop Wintersports...

Cables?? Is that like mini chains? I really am not sure but I don't think its tight at all, probably could.

My setup is 17" steel rims with 215/50R17 Bridgestone Blizzaks.
i live in canada and I had no problems last winter.

you can also check out the new michellin X-Ice Xi2 if you want an alternative to the bridgestones.

You can look online for used rims from a 3 or 6, that'll keep the cost lower and your car will look good all year round. This is my setup:

MS3sideRHCrop.jpg

I just seen this, wow that looks good!! Are those 17's?

That's awesome, it looks REALLY sharp and makes the front brakes look absolutely gigantic!! Those look so good on the car, i'd rock those year round!

I'm running MS6 rims w/ Michelin Xice tires.

To say the least i'm very unimpressed with this tire. I haven't had much snow yet, though the forecast calls for it through the next three days. But my last two sets of snows on an Infiniti G20 were Nokian Hakka's RSi and Blizzaks. Both were great in and out of snow, these Xices feel like i'm going to wreck the car everytime I drive on dry pavement.

I was going to try a set of less aggressive snows, Goodyear performance grip or something like that and i'm wishing I did.

Gmac

I bought some 16" alloy wheels and Blizzaks from Tirerack for cheaper than it would be to put snow tires on the stock 18" wheels. Plus I got a $50 gift card. :)

I will probably put them on tonight and snap some pics if anybody wants to see them.

You can look online for used rims from a 3 or 6, that'll keep the cost lower and your car will look good all year round.

True dat.

10qj4lh.jpg

It took my about 30 seconds to find a set of like-new 17" stockers from a 3 on Craigslist, a mere $150. I suited them up with a set of Yokohama IC-somethingoranothers in p215-50r17 size. I thought these would be the closest in size, just based on the math (tire width in mm * aspect ratio*0.5 / 25.4 + rim diameter = overall diameter). Mathematically, a p215-45r18 = 25.618 inches diameter, and a 215-50r17 = 25.465 inches, a difference of less than 3/16 of an inch, or about 0.60%. Pretty much negligable. But as you may know, the size that the tire manufacturer stamps on the side doesn't always match up to a real world measurement.

Case in point: the stock rubber is mated to the odometer perfectly, as confirmed by GPS over hundreds of miles. No error. However, these snow tires (which should only show an error of 0.6%) are actually showing an error of 1.8%. Not that 1.8% is a big deal of course; it's actually comfortably close to stock. Just make sure you check your size before you mount them up; remember that your mileage will accrue at a different rate depending if your overall tire diameter is smaller (accrue mileage faster) or larger (accrue mileage slower).

Yeah, that might be a bit on the obsessive side, I know. I study way too much data every day at work, and the whole data analysis thing has crept into my personal life too... (stoned)

True dat.

10qj4lh.jpg

It took my about 30 seconds to find a set of like-new 17" stockers from a 3 on Craigslist, a mere $150. I suited them up with a set of Yokohama IC-somethingoranothers in p215-50r17 size. I thought these would be the closest in size, just based on the math (tire width in mm * aspect ratio*0.5 / 25.4 + rim diameter = overall diameter). Mathematically, a p215-45r18 = 25.618 inches diameter, and a 215-50r17 = 25.465 inches, a difference of less than 3/16 of an inch, or about 0.60%. Pretty much negligable. But as you may know, the size that the tire manufacturer stamps on the side doesn't always match up to a real world measurement.

Case in point: the stock rubber is mated to the odometer perfectly, as confirmed by GPS over hundreds of miles. No error. However, these snow tires (which should only show an error of 0.6%) are actually showing an error of 1.8%. Not that 1.8% is a big deal of course; it's actually comfortably close to stock. Just make sure you check your size before you mount them up; remember that your mileage will accrue at a different rate depending if your overall tire diameter is smaller (accrue mileage faster) or larger (accrue mileage slower).

Yeah, that might be a bit on the obsessive side, I know. I study way too much data every day at work, and the whole data analysis thing has crept into my personal life too... (stoned)

I'm running that size as well. Don't worry about the speedometer error, the stock 18's aren't accurate either.

I had 16" steelies on my 6 that I tried to use on my speed3.. they didnt clear the calipers. It was a bead of welds on the inside of the wheel that rubbed the caliper. I bought them from tire warehouse so don't get steelies from them.

I bought a set of 16" alloy sport edition d3 wheels and dunlop winter sports. Fit fine.

discount tire (tires dot com) has a deal on 16 inch black steelies through the end of march - set of 4 wheels for $50 ($25 each, free shipping & $50 coupon). i got 16x7s with a 45mm offset (max offered).

haven't tested them to see if they'll clear the front brakes but will either grind down the weld beads or swap them out w/ my local garage for a bigger offset if they rub.

they had 24 left in stock. quick psa - i'm ashamed to have driven on snow with the stockers this past winter. many thanks to senator john blutarski, shaitsta & surnixalot for your help.

^^

Dang, that's a smokin' deal!! I paid the full price back in October for my set of 16" steelies from TireRack - $55 each. At least I got a smokin' closeout deal for the snow tires I got with the steelies so I guess it all works out in the end.

Great find!

Back