MazdaSpeed3 winter tires question

kriewe

:
2008.5 Mazda Speed 3 Sport
Hi,
I just recently bought a new MS3. I live in NH where we get a significant amount of snow. I am looking into buying winter rims and/or tires. I've heard that if you go lower than stock on size (stock is 18 inch) for rims, a low tire pressure light goes on. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm not sure what to do- just buy winter tires and put them on the stock rims or buy both rims and tires...please help! Thanks!

Not true... I have 17" snow tires/rims with TPMS and everything is fine.

PC130001.JPG

It's possible you may have mis-read some of posts.
Lots of ppl go 17 inch to get more pothole protection, skinnier tire and cheaper cost.
Ppl with winter tire packages will get the low pressure light (TPMS) because they don't bother installing TPMS on their winter rims. The sensors cost over $200 dollars so they'd rather deal with the light. It has no negative effects except for being annoying. You just have to monitor the pressure the good old fashioned way.

Nice wheels btw, those look great for being a winter rim.

Do yourself a favor and get a winter rim and tire package. This way you don't have to deal with taking the tires on and off the rims twice a year. Very annoying and costly and you'll save the longevity of your stock rims/summer tires. I just put my winter rims/tires on the other day and it only took 45 minutes of my time with a floor jack and some elbow grease. Do get an idea of some packages take a look at the sites below.

What part of NH are you from? I went to college up there and when it snows its a white out. Good luck!

www.tires.com
www.tirerack.com

That's a beautiful picture up there. I'm starting to lighten up to winter a little bit. Yes, the car looks like crap. Yes, the weather sucks. But with access to a garage, I wouldn't mind washing it up and taking pictures in a fresh powder.

Those 17's look damn nice!

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll be going with the tire and rim package.

i dont care what people think in the winter. you can get steel wheel winter tire packages from tire rack. i rock steel wheels with winterforce MS, but only when necessary. we don't typically get much accumulation worth swapping tires, but it happens.

i dont care what people think in the winter. you can get steel wheel winter tire packages from tire rack. i rock steel wheels with winterforce MS, but only when necessary. we don't typically get much accumulation worth swapping tires, but it happens.

I'm rocking steelies to. Winter mode? Who gives a s***!

If I can't get these 16" alloys, then i'll be rocking 16" with hubcaps.

What I don't like is the fact that you can't see if the caliper is rubbing or not.

I guess it's time for me to order something as well. If you go down from 18 inches will it affect the odometer/speedometer? With the dozens of tire/rim packages available (I was just looking through tirerack) what's a good way to choose which one to get besides obviously price?

If I can't get these 16" alloys, then i'll be rocking 16" with hubcaps.

What I don't like is the fact that you can't see if the caliper is rubbing or not.
Unless the rim gets warped, it doesn't rub. It's about a credit card width of clearance though. I checked mine during the summer when I put them back on and there wasn't any rubbing.

I guess it's time for me to order something as well. If you go down from 18 inches will it affect the odometer/speedometer? With the dozens of tire/rim packages available (I was just looking through tirerack) what's a good way to choose which one to get besides obviously price?
While you reduce the rim size, you increase the profile of the tire to offset the difference. For example, stock is 215/45 18's. When I went to 16's, I changed it to 225/55 16's The overall width of the tire changed by .5%. The ideal size for 17's is 215/50 to keep the difference as small as possible.

You can look online for used rims from a 3 or 6, that'll keep the cost lower and your car will look good all year round. This is my setup:

MS3sideRHCrop.jpg

Back