Mazdaspeed Protege vs. Mazdaspeed Miata

Which do you prefer?

• Mazdaspeed Protege

Votes: 66 55.0%
  • Mazdaspeed Miata

Votes: 54 45.0%

• Total voters
Good things come in small packages right :)

The car "should" outhandle the speed. It also "should" have a more reliable and consistent turbo. More HP in a lighter car, "should" equal better times too. Lets not kid ourselves here.

No doubt, it will be a great little car. An s2000? Ummm, no. But a great car for sure.

Black Majik MSP said:
Dude, all I did was post a related link. If I wanted to make you feel dumb, I would have said something like "It's called a search you (insert insult here), USE IT." So much for trying to be helpful. (hand)

sorry man. i'm just so used to seeing "DUH! USE THE SEARCH DUMB ASS" and a list of similar thread links from so many people. figured that's what you were doing, but i guess you werent. my bad.

i would go with the MSP because i like the styling better, i like the interior more, and just about everything else i like more then the MSM

As much as I enjoy the MSP, I've been kicking myself for not getting something impractical like a coupe or a convertible....logic being that I have the rest of my life to drive practical cars, get something fun while you can. Good thing the MSP is hella fun to drive, but if I had a choice now...I'd get the MSM.

Newf said:
It also "should" have a more reliable and consistent turbo.
Actually i dont think so, I heard that the msm turbo is a journal bearing unit. We have ball bearing which is far superior.

Noclue...you really are clueless. Curb weight is curb weight...ie: car with full fluids, no occupants and crap. The Miata is 300 some odd pounds lighter in CURB WEIGHT.

noclue119 said:
2540 is the empty weight no fuel and no passenager... My msp is 2860 with me in it and full tank... and as i read up on the fact, i change my 0-60 time.
As to my comments on the MSM versus the S2000...in reviewing the Mazda MX-5 SP (the Australian-market turbo-charged Miata of two years ago, with 200bhp {12 more than the Mazdaspeed Miata}), it beat the S2000 hands down in every category. I know that my lowly 1990 Miata will too...as it will ANY Protege / 3.

Face facts man...FWD sucks. All the money that went into the suspension of the Mazdaspeed Protege was merely to make it handle like a RWD car does with no extras...add some to a Miata and you've got over 1G on a skippad (Racing Beat hit 1.1G back in 1991 with very little mods).

B.L. Zebop said:
Noclue...you really are clueless. Curb weight is curb weight...ie: car with full fluids, no occupants and crap. The Miata is 300 some odd pounds lighter in CURB WEIGHT.

As to my comments on the MSM versus the S2000...in reviewing the Mazda MX-5 SP (the Australian-market turbo-charged Miata of two years ago, with 200bhp {12 more than the Mazdaspeed Miata}), it beat the S2000 hands down in every category. I know that my lowly 1990 Miata will too...as it will ANY Protege / 3.

Face facts man...FWD sucks. All the money that went into the suspension of the Mazdaspeed Protege was merely to make it handle like a RWD car does with no extras...add some to a Miata and you've got over 1G on a skippad (Racing Beat hit 1.1G back in 1991 with very little mods).
agreed...178hp+tiny car+rwd = ownage. that miata will own the msp stock for stock, and i garuntee the aftermarket will be more for the MSM as well.

Nope not from what I'm hearing. It originally had a 7.5 psi ball bearing turbo which was swapped out for a journal bearing turbo pushing 8.5 psi.

B.L. Zebop said:
Wrong again...MSM has a ball-bearing turbo.

Notorious said:
Nope not from what I'm hearing. It originally had a 7.5 psi ball bearing turbo which was swapped out for a journal bearing turbo pushing 8.5 psi.

i think that's right. i remember reading about a ball bearing turbo pushing 7.25 psi, but then i think on the mazda website, it said something about 8.5 psi, though when i saw it i wasnt looking to see what kind of turbo it was.

MSM. I have one FWD car. that's enough.

(lol) me prepares for onslaught of flames...

They are two completely different cars. One's a Sports Car; one's a Sports Sedan. Fairly; they cannot be compared.

Back