Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

Bought used 07 GT w/4AT. About 75% city driving in SoCal. My first 4 fillups is 23.8, 22.3, 23.3, 22.9. Not quite the numbers that many of you put up but I'm somewhat satisfied considering I got about the same on my last car, an 04 Accord sedan. The 04 Accord had a 24/34 EPA MPG estimate but my real-world combined MPG with it was about the same as my 5.

Just finished running 390 miles, mostly highway, mileage was 31.4 mpg with 3 large people ( about 600lbs ) and all the associated golf gear. This was a 5spd Touring. This was mostly hills and the 5 never baulked once in 5th gear. I am VERY happy with this .

I've been averaging 8.9L/100km (31 MPG Imperial, 26 MPG US) on my 5 so far, half commuting half highway. My trip to Seattle which was 90% highway mileage with A/C on most of the time was 8.1L/100km (35MPG, 29.5MPG). A week of commuting averaged me about 10.4L/100km (27MPG, too lazy to convert to US gallons) I'd like to see what I get with an upcoming summer road trip to Edmonton.

The best I did on my Corolla was 56 MPG Imperial. I'll miss the Corolla's fuel economy but oh well! I heard the 08 and 09 models use 1L/100km less fuel than the 06 and 07, I wonder how Mazda managed to do that.

I heard the 08 and 09 models use 1L/100km less fuel than the 06 and 07, I wonder how Mazda managed to do that.

My guess is just further engine fine-tuning, nothing fancy. Also the ride feels a little bit smoother

best mileage yet in two years of ownership on trip to DC last weekend - 28.75 mpg highway, driving 65-80 mph.

I don't know why but my mileage seems to be getting better. Odometer just rolled over 9000 miles and yesterday's road trip yielded 30.1 MPG, a personal best. This was driving 75-80 with front/rear A/C on the entire time, 3 adults and 2 kids.

2009 Touring w/auto transmission.

The 08-09 Mazda 5 in Canada is rated at 33(US)MPG highway (we still use the old EPA methods here since Canadians tend to drive a bit slower), so 29MPG at 75-80 MPH and A/C on sounds about right.

Maybe all the weight of the passengers and cargo lowered the 5 altering the aerodynamics etc. and cancelling out the negative effects of all that weight! lol.

First tank, 353 miles on 13.6 gallons, 26 mpg. 90% highway at 70mph cruise, PA turnpike.

Happy with that. We will miss our 06 Accord and it's 32mpg highway average, but we are very happy with our new Mazda so far.

08 Grand Touring

2007 Mazda 5 touring, 5 speed manual have had it about 5 weeks.

low of 28 mpg
high of 31 mpg

62 mile daily commute on 2 lane country roads

better than i had expected but short shift and keep revs down, most of the
time

Our first tank was not very good - about 18 or 19mpg (all city driving) but since then has improved to about 22mpg on average (again, 100% city). Just took our first road trip last weekend with about 320 miles each way. I logged 27mpg on the way there - that tank included about 50 miles of pre-trip city driving. On the way home, we got 29mpg, so I'm fairly satisfied so far. Speed on those highway miles ranged from 65-80mph and the A/C was on most of the time.

The wee one and I were at Costco this morning and our gas station there just opened up. My tank was down to 1/2 so I figured while I was there, I'd top off. I put in 6.405 gallons after having driven 176.4 miles, about 1/2 of them were freeway driving (not in traffic, 65-70 mph). So, we are looking at about 27.54 mpg.

Just about to turn 20k and still clinging to just over 28 MPG lifetime. I drive slower in the summer, albeit with more stuff in the car, so the numbers should inch back up to the mid 28's or close to 29.

Didn't bother to check MPG on first tank, but second tank was 26.9 in mixed driving on two-lane highways, lots of curves, hills, and several days of really rainy weather. I'll be delighted if this keeps up!

Averaged 29mpg on a recent trip with lots of hills and curves, two adults, two children, about 300lbs of cargo, and an add-on exterior mirror (to help visibility with the rear hatch full).

My wife just averaged 30 going from Western Metro Detroit to Northern Michigan, Mackinac. She is a very reserved driver and didnt go over 70-75 and never uses to cruise control and no A/C needed for this trip. Pretty impressive I think! She was loaded with 2 bikes on the back.

Back